cam sufficient for a top mount blower?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, cam sufficient for a top mount blower? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; When I initially inquired about my cam install I had a particular horsepower goal, however I expressed my intentions to ...
    crete68s is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

cam sufficient for a top mount blower?

When I initially inquired about my cam install I had a particular horsepower goal, however I expressed my intentions to go F/I later on down the road. After the matter I looked over the forums a little bit more intensively and I'm not completely sure where I stand. My tuner got back to me after talking to the comp cams guy and said this cam would be a decent overall n/aand f/i cam. The specs are 231/236 at a .050 duration with a lobe lift of .3630/.3400 and 113 lsa. What do you guys thinks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: cam sufficient for a top mount blower?

I am not a cam guru, but those specs don't strike me as being a typical cam for forced induction. Generally, speaking forced induction cams use shorter durations and larger LSA values than cams for natural aspiration in otherwise similar applications. Additionally, cam gurus will tell you that with forced induction not to expect dramatic differences with cam changes - forced induction is a substitute for a bigger cam.

If I were going to forced induction I would get a cam specified for forced induction. It will still give some power increase in the mean time as opposed to being compromised for both the short term (NA) and the long term (FI).

I appreciate your input. The cam has already been installed. The plans are to go with ported 317 heads so hopefully the lower compression will help out in making more power on less boost with a whipple 3.3.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    Sounds like its going to be a kick ass build with a Whipple.... I'm no cam guru either, but I can tell you the LS9 cam is popular for boost

It should hit pretty hard down low for sure. I'm just hoping this cam I have isn't counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by crete68s View Post
    It should hit pretty hard down low for sure. I'm just hoping this cam I have isn't counterproductive.
    My guess is that with a blower that cam is counterproductive compared to a pure blower cam, and perhaps even compared to a stock LS6 cam. But I would ask someone with more specific expertise before I did anything.

DMM
    DMM is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

You need a greater exhaust bias. I would suggest something like a 226/240 duration at .595"/.605" on 117 LSA. That much blower really needs a wide exhaust bias.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    You need a greater exhaust bias. I would suggest something like a 226/240 duration at .595"/.605" on 117 LSA. That much blower really needs a wide exhaust bias.
    Agreed in principle. For my 2.3l blower I am at 218/238 .598/.610 120lsa. With a larger blower I would expect more exhaust bias but all of this depends upon which heads you are running and other factors. I would get Pat G or some other cam guru to spec it out.

Alright guys I really appreciate it. I'll check with a couple sources. Maybe this means I will end up considering a different route in terms of n/a or f/i for the future of the car. I figured I would be able to get pretty close to 600 whp on the whipple set up. Any one seen relatively close numbers on a n/a set up while still maintaining decent mid range torque?

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

We have had great success with NA cams with the Maggie,its so small it needs all the help it can get .With a 3.3 whipple you could taylor something better for sure but if you are paying someone to swap it I would leave it in there.I would advise against dropping the CR it will make a lazy car down low and limit your HP .Keep the CR up and spin the blower slower to get your desired HP

So perhaps a smaller blower (maggie 112) with the cam I have and ported 243s... E85 etc?

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

E 85 helps a ton,if you can get it and have the fuel system for it its a grand slam.I would get an Eldelbrock 2300 while they have the $500 rebate going on ,it will be cheaper than the 112 and is a much better unit and will bolt right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
    I would get an Eldelbrock 2300 while they have the $500 rebate going on ,it will be cheaper than the 112 and is a much better unit and will bolt right on.
    For an LS6?

At this point I would go with any blower that meant my cam wasn't being counterproductive. If that's even possible.

DMM
    DMM is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

We have had great success with NA cams with the Maggie,its so small it needs all the help it can get .With a 3.3 whipple you could taylor something better for sure but if you are paying someone to swap it I would leave it in there.I would advise against dropping the CR it will make a lazy car down low and limit your HP .Keep the CR up and spin the blower slower to get your desired HP
    This is not true at all. I have the E-Force with the LS6 and it is too big without lowering compression. I had to pull every bit of timing in the low ranges to prevent KR and it was a dog on the street. After installing the 317's, I was able to add even more timing down low and pulley down for more boost. I now have excellent drivability and more boost at all times. Win/win.

E 85 helps a ton,if you can get it and have the fuel system for it its a grand slam.I would get an Eldelbrock 2300 while they have the $500 rebate going on ,it will be cheaper than the 112 and is a much better unit and will bolt right on.
    This is not true as well and very misleading. The Edelbrock is an excellent piece, however it is far from complete. There is quite a bit that has to be done for an LS6, and the Edelbrock HEX, pump, etc either do not fit our application or are inferior pieces. Don't get me wrong, it's well worth the effort, but far from being bolt on.

Quote Originally Posted by crete68s View Post
    At this point I would go with any blower that meant my cam wasn't being counterproductive. If that's even possible.
    You're not going to find one. The cam I spec'd has 0* of overlap. With a bigger blower, closing the LSA of the cam a bit will make more power than running traditional "FI" negative overlap cams. You don't have to worry about losing boost...just pulley down if you need more.

OP...do you have the Whipple yet? Or, are we window shopping?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.