cam sufficient for a top mount blower? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, cam sufficient for a top mount blower? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'll let me,Thomas know..Why could he not use an ls3 TB? ---------- I wouldn't call the 3.3. a big blower,the ...
    Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

Re: cam sufficient for a top mount blower?

I'll let me,Thomas know..Why could he not use an ls3 TB?

----------

I wouldn't call the 3.3. a big blower,the 281 cubic inch ford guys run them all the time over smaller blowers. The 3.3 Whipple doesn't flow any more than the 2.3 Magnason so its diffently not HUGE and would work great on the OPs build.Op I would do a little more searching in a few different places. Your motor doesnt know its in a Cadi A head/cam combo will never give you the power of a blower,you will use more gas and it will be less driver friendly going NA.

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

i am gay

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crete68s View Post
    Is that because of the tps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
    Why could he not use an ls3 TB?[COLOR="Silver"]
    Drive by wire consists of three main components...the APP sensor (accelerator pedal position), the ECM/PCM, and the TAC module (the throttle body). Not every platform uses the same components even though they may share the same ECM/PCM. Mixing and matching these things can cause a non running condition, brick the PCM, or cause weird problems like getting full throttle under part throttle conditions.

The 2008 LS3 TB is the same as the LS2...silver blade. The 2009+ LS3/7 etc (gold blade) has an inverse blade rotation when compared to the LS2, and every part of the system (APP, PCM, TAC) is calibrated for this specific operation. It's a damn shame they're not interchangeable, the LS3 is about 1/3rd the price of an LS2 (this is why most aftermarket 102mm TB's use the LS3 as a base, and b/c that's what is selling now). The LS2 TAC motor is stronger though if you plan on FI, so we do get something for our money.

You could make it work if you updated to a later model PCM, made a custom harness, and integrated it into the vehicle...but you'd likely have comm's errors that you never get rid of. A few have tried to invert the TAC calibrations in the PCM only to brick it...I think Jesse (Wait4Me) did it once and got it to work, but IIRC said he would never do it again.

This is not the first time this has been gone over...Google and see for yourself. Or, spend the money and try it yourself.

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
    I'll let me,Thomas know..Why could he not use an ls3 TB?

----------

I wouldn't call the 3.3. a big blower,the 281 cubic inch ford guys run them all the time over smaller blowers. The 3.3 Whipple doesn't flow any more than the 2.3 Magnason so its diffently not HUGE and would work great on the OPs build.Op I would do a little more searching in a few different places. Your motor doesnt know its in a Cadi A head/cam combo will never give you the power of a blower,you will use more gas and it will be less driver friendly going NA.
    That would depend on the pulley size, but per revolution one moves 3.3l of air and the other 2.3l lol

crete68s is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v
    What about a 383 stroker kit? I would think that torque gains would be pretty substantial. Between a stroker, heads, cam, and 102 intake i would like to think power could easily be comparable to a 3.3 whipple build. With intentions ultimately being to attain as much hp with out flexing the the aluminum block. I guess about 600rw.? I would hate to back track on the work I have already done to the car.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crete68s View Post
    What about a 383 stroker kit? I would think that torque gains would be pretty substantial. Between a stroker, heads, cam, and 102 intake i would like to think power could easily be comparable to a 3.3 whipple build. With intentions ultimately being to attain as much hp with out flexing the the aluminum block. I guess about 600rw.? I would hate to back track on the work I have already done to the car.
    You're not going to hurt the block, you'll break something else before that point. Where are you planning on getting a 3.3 Whipple, there were two of them made and Tommy has one of them. The 383 have always run very well but typically do not show the same N/A gains when boosted. If you plan on building a motor and the going FI afterwards, I'd make sure that you build the N/A motor with larger combustion chamber (for use with FI) and thinner head gaskets in an attempt to get the static comp ratio a little higher. Your N/A cam can be spec'd to give you a little more dynamic compression than used in most N/A instances. This way, when you eventually go FI you're a cam and head gasket change away from rocking and rolling.

It's always best to build for a specific purpose. Building using components best for FI and making little changes to get the best N/A use of them will give you the best bang for your buck.

crete68s is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

Intentions would have the 383 (n/a) build as a substitute to the whipple. But then again you can never have too much powwaa!! Anyone know any reputable stroker kit brands?

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Drive by wire consists of three main components...the APP sensor (accelerator pedal position), the ECM/PCM, and the TAC module (the throttle body). Not every platform uses the same components even though they may share the same ECM/PCM. Mixing and matching these things can cause a non running condition, brick the PCM, or cause weird problems like getting full throttle under part throttle conditions.

The 2008 LS3 TB is the same as the LS2...silver blade. The 2009+ LS3/7 etc (gold blade) has an inverse blade rotation when compared to the LS2, and every part of the system (APP, PCM, TAC) is calibrated for this specific operation. It's a damn shame they're not interchangeable, the LS3 is about 1/3rd the price of an LS2 (this is why most aftermarket 102mm TB's use the LS3 as a base, and b/c that's what is selling now). The LS2 TAC motor is stronger though if you plan on FI, so we do get something for our money.

You could make it work if you updated to a later model PCM, made a custom harness, and integrated it into the vehicle...but you'd likely have comm's errors that you never get rid of. A few have tried to invert the TAC calibrations in the PCM only to brick it...I think Jesse (Wait4Me) did it once and got it to work, but IIRC said he would never do it again.

This is not the first time this has been gone over...Google and see for yourself. Or, spend the money and try it yourself.
    I have seen NW102 tbs used on the ctsv ,not sure what they had to do but we use the ls3 TB on the GTO all the time with no issues.I don't spend much time on the ctsv so that's good to know when someone calls for a TB.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by tommy compton View Post
    That would depend on the pulley size, but per revolution one moves 3.3l of air and the other 2.3l lol
    If only it was that simple.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.