Does external oil cooler lower engine temps? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Does external oil cooler lower engine temps? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; If your big, powerful radiator is doing it's job, then ECT will be at the thermostat setting, so you'll never ...
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Does external oil cooler lower engine temps?

If your big, powerful radiator is doing it's job, then ECT will be at the thermostat setting, so you'll never be able to see an improvement in ECT as a result of an external oil cooler. The t-stat will just be open slightly less to maintain that same ECT.

And why would you need to relocate your oil filter to use a Laminova type heat exchanger? I think the real challenge in using one of those is figuring out where to put it such that you can route the full radiator flow through it. There's not a whole lot of room in the front of the engine bay to fit anything extra.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    If your big, powerful radiator is doing it's job, then ECT will be at the thermostat setting, so you'll never be able to see an improvement in ECT as a result of an external oil cooler. The t-stat will just be open slightly less to maintain that same ECT.

And why would you need to relocate your oil filter to use a Laminova type heat exchanger? I think the real challenge in using one of those is figuring out where to put it such that you can route the full radiator flow through it. There's not a whole lot of room in the front of the engine bay to fit anything extra.
    Sandwich plate filter augmentation. Yeah I haven't ripped the nose off to see what I'm dealing with. There's another shop that is gonna grab some data for me. It's to find the heat transfer rate and thermodynamic (heat in motion) study - pure curiosity.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Did that shop ever get back to you with their study results?

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

No, there has been no follow-up - the data would have come from a Mopar build or Mustang. I slapped this thing in my turbo s2k and the oil temps stay about 5-10F over engine coolant temps. During a spirited drive, mostly 50% throttle, as AAIIIC mentioned the cooling system was doing it's job and kept ECTs right at the T-stat with 185F touching lightly up to 200F during WOT. My oil temps stayed in that range.

The ambient air temps were ~90F.

So the comparison using my datalogs:
    No oil cooler
    hot idle: 210F
    part throttle: 220F
    WOT: 240F (260F peek autox)

Laminova oil cooler
    hot idle: 185F
    part throttle: 190F
    WOT: 210F (peek w/autox)

I used -10AN lines and have no pressure drops. All my monitoring was done using PLX devices and digitally fed into the Hondata Kpro ECU to record the additional sensors. Unfortunately I have no idea how this will perform in the CTS-V. It's compact and doesn't compete for air flow since it's water/oil heat exchanger. My only consideration would be for forced induction purposes.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

When I put the Alradco CTS-V radiator in my 3.6L CTS, I am going to replace my Hayden external tranny cooler with a liquid/liquid laminar flow (probably Laminova) cooler. I like the way they bring the fluid up to temperature as well as cooling it. I am also going to install an oil cooler of the same design at the same time. Granted, all of this will not be until next summer, but it is definitely on the list. Im not even considering forced induction on my LY7, I just like the thought of having everything regulated to the same temperature.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.