Cat delete???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Cat delete??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I started this conversation in another thread but figured I would make a new one cuz I really want some ...
    H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    I started this conversation in another thread but figured I would make a new one cuz I really want some answers

Here's the original post,

Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX
    The stock cats bolt onto the exhaust manifolds and onto the rest of the exhaust as I recall so you can just grab a matching flanges and weld it up to some exhaust piping and your good... It will help with performance a bit, cats are fairly restrictive. But it will sound a lot better as well. If you get new flanges you can just run no cats most of the time then if you have to smog it you can bolt the cats back on.

(My post below)
    Man you just opened up my mind to a completely new idea. I already have a magnaflow cat back and I like it but I wish it had a Lil more rumble.

Because of were I live I just can't add headers, it would be to loud. I had to sell my 06 titan w/l LT headers and true dual exhaust Cuz the condo unit was trying to kick me out. I live in a 55+ age condo unit that my parents own (i rent)and the board members just let me stay is long as I'm not to noisy.

I didn't realize the factory cat setup could simply be unbolted (on my truck the cats were welded onto the manifolds). So my plan now is to have my exhaust shop just replace the cat setup from the manifold to the x pipe with a 2.5 inch straight pipe. That way I could always go back to factory in order to pass inspection.

The only thing I'm worried about is the added heat and stress to the factory iron manifolds. The only reason I Evan say that is because one of the factory manifolds on my titan cracked after I put a cat back exhaust on it. The I engine was running to lean/rich(I'm not sure) and it cracked.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Cat delete???

If you replace you cats with pipes you will presumably need to have at least front O2 sensors installed in the "pipes" using welded on bungs. I see no reason why such a setup would burden your exhaust manifolds in terms of added heat. (Cats run hotter than the rest of exhaust downstream of the manifolds.)

(I have RT high flow cats, which have all four O2 sensors - the post-cat sensors are tuned off in the tune.)

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

I had a set of RT hi-flo cats with my Magnaflow cat-back. The cats got burned up and I basically ended up with what your looking to do. Ran it like that all of last summer without anything cracking. You should get it tuned to have it run right but you can do without if your not that picky.
    In my opinion the car sounded great at idle (old school muscle) but was horrible going down the road. My idea of loud may be different than yours, but it was much quieter when I put stock cats back on. You might get away with it if you don't give it too much gas near the old people .

I'd advise against it, but if your gonna do it, I don't think you'll have an issue with it.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I had a set of RT hi-flo cats with my Magnaflow cat-back. The cats got burned up and I basically ended up with what your looking to do. Ran it like that all of last summer without anything cracking. You should get it tuned to have it run right but you can do without if your not that picky.
    In my opinion the car sounded great at idle (old school muscle) but was horrible going down the road. My idea of loud may be different than yours, but it was much quieter when I put stock cats back on. You might get away with it if you don't give it too much gas near the old people .

I'd advise against it, but if your gonna do it, I don't think you'll have an issue with it.

Tony
    Does that suggest that my RT cats are destined to fail? (I am tuned, and to me they seem to run cooler than the OEMS, but that may be just because they have more clearance as I have not actually measured any temps.)

My #2 idea is to replace the factory b pipe with one that has a hi flow cat welded in.

And getting my car tuned is not an issue so ill do it after any mods.

Hi flow cats would add about $200 to this project so if it won't hurt anything I'd rather go without.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Does that suggest that my RT cats are destined to fail? (I am tuned, and to me they seem to run cooler than the OEMS, but that may be just because they have more clearance as I have not actually measured any temps.)
    I'm assuming the blower did them in.

Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    My #2 idea is to replace the factory b pipe with one that has a hi flow cat welded in.

And getting my car tuned is not an issue so ill do it after any mods.

Hi flow cats would add about $200 to this project so if it won't hurt anything I'd rather go without.
    I doubt it'll hurt anything. I just hated the way the car sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Could be. I wonder if those with blowers running high-flow cats behind headers have, or will have, the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch

I doubt it'll hurt anything. I just hated the way the car sounded.
    Can you describe the sound and why you hated it so much...was there excessive drone, lots of popping & crackling or was it just to loud?

----------

Your car has a blower?? I'm sure that affects the sound.

brngrhd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Could be. I wonder if those with blowers running high-flow cats behind headers have, or will have, the same problem.
    Well that's probably what killed my stock cats since I only have 43k on the car LOL

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Hey Darkman,

Are you running factory location of your RT cats? Just wondering and also trying to come up with different placement options for when I move mine around.

BDV

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post
    Hey Darkman,

Are you running factory location of your RT cats? Just wondering and also trying to come up with different placement options for when I move mine around.

BDV
    The RT cats bolt in place of the OEM cats and the location is approximately the same as OEM - (there may be a few millimeters difference in the distance from the cat to the exhaust manifold, as well as a few millimeters difference in the absolute length of the cat within the pipe from OEM.) The look much like these: http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...EXHAUST/Detail. (The RT's look a little smoother and presumably have better internals, but they cost twice as much.)

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

I'll put this on my checklist for when I plop in a new driveshaft in a couple weeks. I also have some type of aftermarket cat, corsa, LT's and maggie.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Those mandrel bent ones are the ones that got me thinking about changing my exhaust up in the first place. I am just thing about going a different route by using the magnaflow and putting it in the mid pipe like the kooks and test piping sort of where the factory cats go. I figure by moving them further downstream it will open up the flow some and I can still use all the sensors and be legal! I know it isn't the same as LTs yet and I plan on going that route and my thought was breaking up the cost a little and then just true bolt on when I do the headers but surely it helps eek out a little power.

BDV

brngrhd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Just removed my cats today. Sound is a little louder, not too loud at all, I love it.

Do our cars have o2 sensors after/behind the factory cats?

I just got my car tuned so I'm wondering if I'd have to get those tuned out.

Sry darkman I should have looked back at your post cuz you already answered my question.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.