Maybe just crazy, but could it help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Maybe just crazy, but could it help? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Maybe it is because I haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately because of work but had a thought about ...
    BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Maybe just crazy, but could it help?

Maybe it is because I haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately because of work but had a thought about modifying the exhaust and helping to brake up the cost a little bit. Theoretically could one cut out the factory cats and put in like a test pipe and get the kook's catted mids to bolt up to the corsa?

I know some of you guys are going to say not equal length and stuff, but would it still promote better flow moving the cat further back and having it be high flow? this way I am still legal and then whatever headers I do at that point they will bolt up nicely to the set up.

Like I said, it might be just a crazy thought but in it's simplest form could it not be a better flow? I need to do some scratching of the mod itch but also breakup the cost just a tad. Just let me know if you think it is crazy stupid or maybe a crazy good idea? Hehe

BDV

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    The stock cats bolt onto the exhaust manifolds and onto the rest of the exhaust as I recall so you can just grab a matching flanges and weld it up to some exhaust piping and your good... It will help with performance a bit, cats are fairly restrictive. But it will sound a lot better as well. If you get new flanges you can just run no cats most of the time then if you have to smog it you can bolt the cats back on.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Maybe just crazy, but could it help?

This would be cost-effective if you do your own cutting and welding. I know from experience, however, that the cost of piecemeal exhaust work adds up.

So looking into the kooks they won't work because of tube size differences. However I did go to a local shop and talked to a guy and put it on a lift and could have him make a custom setup using most of the pieces I have. Might go that route and do further research into that on cost and everything.

BDV

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    The stock cats bolt onto the exhaust manifolds and onto the rest of the exhaust as I recall so you can just grab a matching flanges and weld it up to some exhaust piping and your good... It will help with performance a bit, cats are fairly restrictive. But it will sound a lot better as well. If you get new flanges you can just run no cats most of the time then if you have to smog it you can bolt the cats back on.
    Man you just opened up my mind to a completely new idea. I already have a magnaflow cat back and I like it but I wish it had a Lil more rumble.

Because of were I live I just can't add headers, it would be to loud. I had to sell my 06 titan w/l LT headers and true dual exhaust Cuz the condo unit was trying to kick me out. I live in a 55+ age condo unit that my parents own (i rent)and the board members just let me stay is long as I'm not to noisy.

I didn't realize the factory cat setup could simply be unbolted (on my truck the cats were welded onto the manifolds). So my plan now is to have my exhaust shop just replace the cat setup from the manifold to the x pipe with a 2.5 inch straight pipe. That way I could always go back to factory in order to pass inspection.

The only thing I'm worried about is the added heat and stress to the factory iron manifolds. The only reason I Evan say that is because one of the factory manifolds on my titan cracked after I put a cat back exhaust on it. The I engine was running to lean/rich(I'm not sure) and it cracked.

I knew about that and there is a company that makes a bolt in solution for it with high flows. I did about going that route for ease of use but then would have have to fab something later when I did the headers. This way I cut into the mid pipe and weld them in and could still use the o2 locations and be legal. It would move the restriction back and be more free flowing. Put a straight pipe in place of cutting out the factory cats and boom. All connected and then the headers are true bolt on. I even thought about taking out the corsa resonator and putting the cats there. I still might to after I get a few more opinions.

BDV

Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    Man you just opened up my mind to a completely new idea. I already have a magnaflow cat back and I like it but I wish it had a Lil more rumble.

Because of were I live I just can't add headers, it would be to loud. I had to sell my 06 titan w/l LT headers and true dual exhaust Cuz the condo unit was trying to kick me out. I live in a 55+ age condo unit that my parents own (i rent)and the board members just let me stay is long as I'm not to noisy.

I didn't realize the factory cat setup could simply be unbolted (on my truck the cats were welded onto the manifolds). So my plan now is to have my exhaust shop just replace the cat setup from the manifold to the x pipe with a 2.5 inch straight pipe. That way I could always go back to factory in order to pass inspection.

The only thing I'm worried about is the added heat and stress to the factory iron manifolds. The only reason I Evan say that is because one of the factory manifolds on my titan cracked after I put a cat back exhaust on it. The I engine was running to lean/rich(I'm not sure) and it cracked.
    Just do e cutouts. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR

Just do e cutouts. Problem solved.
    E-cutouts would cost me at least $500 and would only make my car stupid loud(when open).

I want a more rumbly sound without the all out loudness that comes with headers. I could get the straight pipes put in for about $200. Plus another $200 if I decide to add hi flow cats.

You can open them incrementally. It's not all or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR
    You can open them incrementally. It's not all or nothing.
    Wouldn't that effect your tune, and mess with the car.

The ECU can adapt up to 20% variation in airflow, iirc. Get the car tuned with open headers, then close em for when you want to be stealth. You won't hurt the motor at all, as at worst you will be runnin a smidge rich.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    I wouldn't worry much about the iron manifolds. The cats make a lot of heat on their own. My guess as to the failure of the turn manifold was because Nissan didn't build that truck very well. My ex girlfriend's dad was a service manager at a Nissan dealer and when I said I was going to but one he flat or said not to. He told me they always had issues with those things. I like the titans but when a service manager who had no reason to lie to me says to stay away from them I listened.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX

I wouldn't worry much about the iron manifolds. The cats make a lot of heat on their own. My guess as to the failure of the turn manifold was because Nissan didn't build that truck very well. My ex girlfriend's dad was a service manager at a Nissan dealer and when I said I was going to but one he flat or said not to. He told me they always had issues with those things. I like the titans but when a service manager who had no reason to lie to me says to stay away from them I listened.
    I absolutely agree the Titan could be built with some Better quality, and I did hear that they do have a problem with the manifolds cracking. That being said I ABSOLUTELY LOVED my Titan although it had some silly issues over the years, it never let me down when I needed it. And it was fast as hell, I could out run my buddy's ford lightning no problem.

That's because it was a Ford! Hehehehe! I have always kind of liked the Titans too. Still a GM guy though. But I am still pissed about them killing Pontiac.

BDV

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.