My Custom Intake Tube and IAT Relocation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Let me know what you think of it...

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great Mod - Cant wait to do it to mine

1 25.00%
  • eah... I've seen better but good job

2 50.00%
  • Ummm... why?

1 25.00%
  • I'll take 2... 1 to poop on and 1 to cover it up.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, My Custom Intake Tube and IAT Relocation in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    Rab986 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade Ext, 2006 CTS & 2005 CTS-V

My Custom Intake Tube and IAT Relocation

I have been trolling around trying to find the best way to build a custom intake tube along with a good setup for the IAT relocation. Well, I started looking around this morning and found it all in town and had it all on my car by Noon today and wanted to share with you guys what I found.

Parts List
    Vibrant Performance 4” Polished Aluminum Intake Tube 18”long - #1788 ($34.99)
    Spectre Performance 4” - 90 degree intake coupler w/clamps – #9781 ($18.99)
    Spectre Performance 4” – 3.5” Reducer/Coupler w/clamps - #9741 ($19.99)
    Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier 24”x12” - #`3575 ($18.49)
    BorgWarner Fast Response Air Charge Temp Sensor - #WT3036 ($16.99)
    Borg Warner Pig Tail for wt3036 sensor – # PT778 ($19.99)
    MotorMite PCV Grommet Assortment - # 42339 (8.99)

You only need 9” of intake tube (I have enough left to build another, if anybody local wants it) so if you can find some shorter you will probably save a pretty good chunk of change and the Thermo-Tec Heat Barrier was way big and probably isn’t necessary but I am trying to keep the aluminum as cool as I can. Actually if you really wanted to save a few bucks you could buy PVC pipe from Home-Depot and paint it black but to each is own. Also when I was looking for a grommet to fit the sensor, they didn’t have the size I needed in stock, individually (just sold it) so I paid a little extra and bought an assortment.
    You could do all of this for right at $100 easily if you shopped around or bought it all online but I’m more of a compulsive buyer and wanted to built it today while I had a little time off to do it.

The first thing I did was try to find a good place on the factory air box that would have a good flow of air which would give me an accurate reading of the actual air temp going into the engine. The grommet I used required a ¾” hole. I used a step bit to drill the hole then I popped in the grommet and the sensor fit perfectly. I then cut the two brown wires to the old sensor in the MAF and soldered then heat shrinked the connections to the new Pig Tail. You can see the sensor in the pic and it looks factory in my opinion and after watching it with my HP-Tuners software, the sensor is much more responsive than the one built into the MAF and will only have a positive effect when it comes to giving the car the proper cylinder charge it needs which is directly related to the temperature of the air coming into the engine. Also... I pulled the MAF up and laid it out in the ambient air and using my scanner in HP Tuners, it read 10 degrees hotter than the actual air temp, then after the new sensor was wired up, I checked it again and it was within 1 degree of my thermometer so... I didn't realize that the factory sensor was so far off, I just thought my factory Air Intake was creating that much heat.

The only concern I had was going to 4” tubing, I’m not sure what is different between my car and others on this board but I have PLENTY of room for the bigger tubing and am extremely pleases with how it turned out.

After completing it, I was so happy with the end result that I wish I would have taken the time to take pictures and draw up a step by step tutorial… but I’m just too damn impatient for that sometimes. And... it didn't take much more than an Hour to do...

If I can get on a dyno today, I will post the real world gains, if any, after I tune out the MAF calibrations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: My Custom Intake Tube and IAT Relocation

Awesome man looks great... well done

Rab986 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade Ext, 2006 CTS & 2005 CTS-V

Re: My Custom Intake Tube and IAT Relocation

""Update""

I started re-tuning for this mod and wasn't to impressed with what I was seeing on airflow increase. Just changing the tube may have netted me 2.5% increase in a couple areas but for the most part it was showing under 2%. I was really expecting more after looking at the design of the stock unit, hopefully it at least reduces some of the turbulance the the stock unit was creating giving it a smoother airflow.
    Is there a mod for the filter box like cutting holes... Building a snout that runs further up behind the grill ect. that has worked. I like the idea of a CAI but hate the sucking sound and typically they turn out to be a HAI rather than cold.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.