Tuner specced me a cam-- what'll she make?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Tuner specced me a cam-- what'll she make? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Car is an 06 with LS2, 1 7/8 headers, hi-flow cats, stock pipes with magnaflow straight-thru muffs. Also has an ...
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Tuner specced me a cam-- what'll she make?

Car is an 06 with LS2, 1 7/8 headers, hi-flow cats, stock pipes with magnaflow straight-thru muffs. Also has an ATI Super Damper and Lingenfelter air box. Everything else is stock.

I just sat down with my tuner Jeff Lowry and went over all the details of my car and how I use it. Since I feel like the car already has enough torque down low to break traction on demand, we went for a cam that gives strong mid range and top end, without sacrificing down low. The cam should start to pull around 2500-3000 RPM. We will also raise the limiter to about 6800-7000 (final limit to be determined during the tune).

The cam specs are 228/236 111+3. He specced moderate lift lobes (.595/.598) that would be kind to the valvetrain and promote valvetrain stability that would result in more stability at high RPM.

Install and dyno will be next week. So, let's have some guesses on max TQ and HP? Where in the rev band do you think she'll peak HP and TQ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Re: Tuner specced me a cam-- what'll she make?

Did your tuner spec the cam or did Martin? Our V1's are horrible on the dyno, but I would guess around 390/380. Your intake will be holding you back...the LS2 intake flows horribly.

I was gonna go with Martin but my tuner turned up after being AWOL. I was gonna go with Martin's 227/235 110+3 cam but decided on a custom cam with my tuner instead.

----------

Oh and in fact the cam is designed with an eventual FAST102 in mind.

DMM

With that much duration you could have gone with a little more lift for a few more hp (since you will still have to check valve springs down the road) and still used a mild lobe. It'll sound awesome at idle!

We discussed that at length. He believes high lift isn't neccessary. He believes you get more power from a more stable valve train and springs that don't bounce around when the release, etc.

For check, he reccommends we put it on the dyno every year or two to make sure everything looks good and there isn't any float, etc.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

You'll crest 400 RWHP. Beyond that, I can't say.
    PISNUOFF and PISNUOFF like this.

Fuzzy and DMM first to chime in. Means I'm gonna make big power.

DMM

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    You'll crest 400 RWHP. Beyond that, I can't say.
    I would absolutely agree if we were talking about anything other than a V1. Our cars have always dyno'd crappy compared to everything else. Makes predicting numbers hard.

A dyno is not an accurate tool for checking valve springs...pull the cover and rockers and test them on the car.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    I would absolutely agree if we were talking about anything other than a V1. Our cars have always dyno'd crappy compared to everything else. Makes predicting numbers hard.

A dyno is not an accurate tool for checking valve springs...pull the cover and rockers and test them on the car.
    I did 422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ with a Lingenfelter intake, Volant tube, Kooks 6760-FC cats, Magnaflow, stock heads, stock thermostat, no catch can, and the TRuTorq L3 cam (223/236 .612/.610 115 LSA) on a 87F/97% humidity day (so humid that we could see our breath, despite the temperature) at Slowhawk (Mustang Dyno) after five runs with no more than 60 seconds cooldown between runs. I also had:

- Heavy 470 in-lb Comp 26926 dual valvesprings (grossly overrated for the cam)
    - Heavy 15W-40 motor oil, 3 quarts D4 ATF / 1 quart MTL 70W80 transmission oil, 75W-140 differential oil

Don thought that I'd do significantly better with a better intake tube (which I've added) and filter, plus a 160 degree thermostat and a couple of miscellaneous tweaks. I'd love to take it back on a less humid day with the LSA heads that I've got sitting here, but I want to wait until after I install the 416 CID LS3. It'll be a whole new machine by then.

VscharesV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    I have very similar mods as you and I just had PatG spec a cam for me with EPS lobes and its 230/232 .629 .629 113+4 LSA. I ordered BTR dual springs w/ti retainers. But I wonder why he speced mine with so much lift. Im interested to see what you put down, im hoping 415+whp

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by VscharesV View Post
    I have very similar mods as you and I just had PatG spec a cam for me with EPS lobes and its 230/232 .629 .629 113+4 LSA. I ordered BTR dual springs w/ti retainers. But I wonder why he speced mine with so much lift. Im interested to see what you put down, im hoping 415+whp
    I would ask PatG that question, since others can only speculate. But if you want others to speculate, they would at least need to know everything you put on the custom cam form such as other modifications, intended use, and preferences (including the lift limitation you requested, if any.).

Quote Originally Posted by VscharesV View Post
    I agree with darkman on asking Pat G. The lift profile is designed to work with the valvesprings and love choice. I'm sure he has thought it all through but just has a different approach than my tuner. I wouldn't be worried, a long as the total combination is coordinated.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Why not change the heads for some ported ones.

That will help u gain across the board.

I had 5.7 with gmpp high compression heads, lpe gt11, 1 3/4 headers high flow cats with corsa exhaust, lpe intake kit with 25% ud pulley from ati and made 425hp and 400lbft at the rear

VscharesV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    I trust him completely that's why I ordered it. Ham just said it isn't necessary, and I was wondering why. I have port n polished ls6 heads, Obx 1 7/8 headers (no cats), magnaflow catback, k&n cai, BTR dual springs and BTR push rods. As far as use, the strip a couple of times a year and to drive when its nice out.

No doubt. I just can't afford it right now. The cam will give me a powerboner that will last a year or so, and then it will be time for either heads or FAST 102.

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    Why not change the heads for some ported ones.

That will help u gain across the board.

I had 5.7 with gmpp high compression heads, lpe gt11, 1 3/4 headers high flow cats with corsa exhaust, lpe intake kit with 25% ud pulley from ati and made 425hp and 400lbft at the rear

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.