Need mechanics help/opinion please!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Need mechanics help/opinion please! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So about a month ago I spun a rod bearing on my 2005 CTS V .... well at least what ...
    05 CTS-V LURKN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac cts - v LS6
    So about a month ago I spun a rod bearing on my 2005 CTS V ....

well at least what I thought was a rod bearing knocking noise so about a week ago I dropped the bottom sub frame and removed everything that was in the way of me to take out the bearings .....

one by one i examined them closely and all 16 of them are perfectly fine...
    no scratches...
    no stains or sign of wear pretty much all of them are identical..

now what made me think it was a rod bearing noise was at a idle a knocking noise was heard from the bottom of the block...once I applied the gas that noise would go away I'll admit it was pretty loud and noticeable at idle...

can anybody or has anyone ever had this problem before and can tell me what other possibilities the noise would be coming from I would gradually appreciate the help.

And also I bought "Power Seal" Rod bearings. Are those fine or would you guys recommend Factory bearings as a better choice???

thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

onestout is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

Re: Need mechanics help/opinion please!

If the bearings look fine leave them in there, by the time you hear a knock it's too late and the engine will need to be disassembled. I have also never found a connecting rod that still has a round crank bore after a significant number of miles. Did you look at the mains? Did you pull the belt off to be sure it wasn't an accessory?

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Take the oil filter cartridge off, cut it apart, unfold the pleated paper, and see if it is full of metal shavings. Is there metal in the bottom of the oil pan?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

ok ill try that today when i get off work.

and when i drained the oil the plug had some residue on it ,i thought it was super small metal shaving,but ill check again today..

btw the car only has about 58k miles!

----------

on so ill leave them alone, as iv heard that the original bearings are already fitted to the crank after time...right?

wow i feel kind of stupid now for not checking if it was an accessory.

and no i haven't looked at the mains...i might sound dumb again but would it be possible in any way to get a peak of the mains from the bottom up?

thanks a lot for your help!

like i mention in an other reply the sad part is the car only has about 58k miles smh:/

PISNUOFF Guest

Replace the rod and main bearings while you have it apart. While you have the individual rod caps off try to move the rods to see if the small end bushings are good. Look for scoring on the cylinder sleeves. Get a boroscope or remove the heads to see if a piston is broken at the ring land. Before pulling the heads look inside them for a broken valve spring.

Rab986 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade Ext, 2006 CTS & 2005 CTS-V

Loose or damaged flywheel/clutch assembly or loose/damaged harmonic balancer. Those would be the first place that I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Rab986 View Post
    Loose or damaged flywheel/clutch assembly or loose/damaged harmonic balancer. Those would be the first place that I looked.
    Yeah that was maybe my next guess...

Is it common for something like that to break in the tranny?

Oh and also , the same night this all happened I was racing a 2jz....my 5th gear didnt want to go in...I tried throwing it in twice when I noticed that the reverse lights we're going on everytime I try to touch 5th!!!!

Could that be a sign of something broken in the tranny area?!?

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.