Tire Help! from the pro's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Tire Help! from the pro's in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 $165 per with free alignment check Size: 245/45R18 Sidewall Style: Blackwall Serv. Desc: 100W ...
    Cadispeedster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V, 2003.7 Mazdaspeed Protege, 08 Honda CBR1000RR

Tire Help! from the pro's

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 $165 per with free alignment check
    Size: 245/45R18
    Sidewall Style: Blackwall
    Serv. Desc: 100W
    Load Range: XL
    UTQG: 320 A A

Michelin Pilot Super Sport $226 per with $70 set of 4
    Size: 245/45ZR18
    Serv. Desc: (100Y)
    Load Range: XL
    UTQG: 300 AA A

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus $230 per with $70 set of 4
    Size: 245/45ZR18
    Serv. Desc: 96Y
    UTQG: 500 AA A

OK! So I'm tire shopping and need help fairly quick if possible please...

I'm going to get a great deal on the firestones if I go in today and get them, but I'm not sure it'll be worth it. I'm a huge michelin pilot fan, especially on my motorcycles... But I'm worried about the tread wear ratings. The 300 aa a (michelin) seams to be better then the 320 a a (firestone)... But the 500 aa a would be optimal, correct? The lower first number means it will wear more for less longevity...? Traction also less...

The price is going to be half for a set of 4 with alignment... but I'm unsure I'll be content with this tire... I'm really in the market for these super sports... hmmm

Thanks for any timely help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Tire Help! from the pro's

You cannot compare those numbers across brands.

I have the Michelin Super Sports and love the grip. I have not had them long enough to report on mileage.

I don't think A/S Plus will provide enough grip for my tastes, but I don't know hard you drive around corners.

Motown Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Silver V Sport Susp.

I thought we had 19 inch rims

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    The lower the number the more grip, but the less mileage u get.

I had hankook rs3 also goodyear f1 all seasons toyo r888 and now michelin pilot sports

The heat melt my tires regardless of the numbers so couldnt comment on mileage

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Cad View Post
    I thought we had 19 inch rims
    What are you smokin'?
    Motown Cad and Motown Cad like this.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
    You appear to be shopping purely on price?

Those are three completely different tires.
    The Firestone is a mid level summer tire, the Super Sports are one of the best summer tires you can buy and then you have an all season?

What do you plan on using the tires for? How do you drive? Do you want to get 10k or 30k out of these tires? Do you need/want an all season?

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Cadispeedster View Post
    OK! So I'm tire shopping and need help fairly quick if possible please...

I'm going to get a great deal on the firestones if I go in today and get them, but I'm not sure it'll be worth it.
    I'm not sure what recommendations you were expecting from anyone since, as Andringa pointed out, you've listed 3 very different tires and haven't given us any idea what you want from your tires. Longevity? Quiet ride? Maximum cornering grip? Great wet performance? The ability to handle cold weather and mild winter conditions? etc etc...
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Cadispeedster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V, 2003.7 Mazdaspeed Protege, 08 Honda CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I'm not sure what recommendations you were expecting from anyone since, as Andringa pointed out, you've listed 3 very different tires and haven't given us any idea what you want from your tires. Longevity? Quiet ride? Maximum cornering grip? Great wet performance? The ability to handle cold weather and mild winter conditions? etc etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    You appear to be shopping purely on price?

Those are three completely different tires.
    The Firestone is a mid level summer tire, the Super Sports are one of the best summer tires you can buy and then you have an all season?

What do you plan on using the tires for? How do you drive? Do you want to get 10k or 30k out of these tires? Do you need/want an all season?
    Thanks all...

And yeah you two guys are right. But I was asking mainly what the difference in the tread wear, more or less would I be happy with the firestones performance with a less tread wear. Quiet would be nice, but... Firestone was claiming that there tires where just as good as the michelins because they're researched from indy races. idk... But I decided not to go with them, I don't think I'd be happy with them. All in all I'm looking for something best of all worlds more or less a great all around tire. However, I'm not sure I'll be happy with anything else then the super sports, which I have on my other car and a similar type tire on my bike. Everything is important, but the most in my mind, being a high performance car, is performance...

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I have had a few sets of Hankook rs3 tires on my other car. When my Michelins (that came on the V when I got it) run out I'm going to probably go with the hankooks. I had them on my Cobalt and they held up to a lot of abuse and I still got 25k out of em for the commute (40 miles each way on an interstate). All in all a pretty good all arounder. I like the Michelin cups but last time I priced them they were like $100 more per tire than the Hankooks and the little extra performance wasn't worth that much IMHO.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadispeedster View Post

Thanks all...

And yeah you two guys are right. But I was asking mainly what the difference in the tread wear, more or less would I be happy with the firestones performance with a less tread wear. Quiet would be nice, but... Firestone was claiming that there tires where just as good as the michelins because they're researched from indy races. idk... But I decided not to go with them, I don't think I'd be happy with them. All in all I'm looking for something best of all worlds more or less a great all around tire. However, I'm not sure I'll be happy with anything else then the super sports, which I have on my other car and a similar type tire on my bike. Everything is important, but the most in my mind, being a high performance car, is performance...
    OK, Firestone can claim they get research back from Indy races.

Michelin gets research back from F1 races. /conversation

Not only did Michelin get research back from F1, F1 tried to reduce speeds years back running on small rims. The tires had to have large sidewalls. When I put PS2s on my '04 V, I was amazed at how well they communicated exactly what the tire was doing, at all times. I feel like I've got a really good feel on how my cars drive and handle, and their limits. It was like those PS2s were talking to me.

Until I drive a tire that hits me the way that one did, I'll always favor PS2s and PSSs...

I had a set of Pilot Sport 2 and then potenza RE760 Sport (rated just above the firestones in their category on tire rack #2 vs #3).

There was no comparison in grip or communication as TheBigJimSHO pointed out.

That is why I have a set of PSS waiting to go on when the 760s are done.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I've never had a set of the various Pilots (PS, PS2, now PSS), but they've been the top tire for all-around performance for a while. And now the PSS has a 30k mile tread wear warranty - the first (and I believe still the only) max performance summer tire to offer one.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Yea but its all in how you drive them. If you are on a track they will probably pro rate the replacement of the tires. Which is awesome either way, who is gonna turn down a discount on new tires? Not I!

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Yea but its all in how you drive them. If you are on a track they will probably pro rate the replacement of the tires. Which is awesome either way, who is gonna turn down a discount on new tires? Not I!
    Actually track use or competitive use voids the mileage warranty.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    Actually track use or competitive use voids the mileage warranty.
    How would the tire shop or Michelin know?

To the OP, I have PS2 on now and they're more grip and better wear than the Goodyear F1 GS D3 that was on my V when I bought it. I really like the better grip of the Dunlop Star Specs but they went fast....and the PS2s just happen to be on the extra set of wheels that I bought. For all those people across other forums that I'm on love the PSS, it seems to be the current best bang for buck and grip (and mileage? ) tire out there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.