LS6 Head/Cam Setup for Critique
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By DMM
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, LS6 Head/Cam Setup for Critique in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I did some reading and investigation and after trying to get a reply from any repuatable LS guy in ...
    jmsweetv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

LS6 Head/Cam Setup for Critique

So I did some reading and investigation and after trying to get a reply from any repuatable LS guy in the country I think I'm getting close to maximizing my $$ for the most HP.

Open for opinions and bashing (I know your game DMM)

Stock bottom LS6
    AI 226cc head work on my 243s milled to 62cc or 11:1 cr (not sure how much milling for close to 11:1cr)
    BTR .660 spring kit
    Stock rockers with trunion upgrade
    Factory valves - AI clean and ground
    Fast 92 ported by AI with port matching if needed
    Nick Williams Ported LS2 TB w/ ls6 to ls2 harness
    PatG cam - 228/232 .588/.595 @110+2
    LS7 lifters
    Head Gasket thickness ??????
    FAST 36# injectors
    ls2 timing chain
    Already have K&N CAI
    ls6 ported and shimmed oil pump
    Kooks 1 7/8 to a magnaflow cat back with high flow cats
    Colder Plugs
    160 stat
    ASP underdrive
    Alradco radiator
    LS7 clutch kit with RAM flywheel

Thanks to DMM, rand49er, and darkman for their help thus far....i'm sure I will need more

So, sound like a good hard pulling engine or am I off on something???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: LS6 Head/Cam Setup for Critique

So Pat G is speccing that cam for the V now? About a yea ago, he was speccing me and some other guys low overlap cams that only built power high up.

That 228/230 110+2 is verrrrrry close to the FTI Streetsweeper HT, which is an awesome DD cam for making power under the curve but also loping real nice. You might also want to check out the Tick SNS Stage 2 for LS1, which has a few more degrees of overlap, will build more cylinder pressure and more torque down low and HP peak right after 6K RPM. I believe it will beat your Pat G cam by 300-500 RPM, but it will be a little choppier. Otherwise, you've chosen and awesome cam with a really smart matching setup.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Where's the F-ing turbo?

Just kidding buddy! Interested to see how that cam performs, Pat usually likes to spec lift in the .600" range. Did he spec this for your combination or did you hear about this cam somewhere else? AI has the highest low/mid lift port flow of any factory head casting, so it makes sense. The OE head gaskets should be just fine for your application.

Here is an excellent Compression Calculator: http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php

Here are the LS6 specs:
    LS6 Cylinders 64.45 cc
    LS6 Piston flat -1.4cc
    LS6 Head Gasket 0.051"
    LS6 Bore 3.898"
    LS6 Gasket Bore 3.94"
    Deck Clearance -0.007
    LS6 Stroke 3.622"
    LS6 Rod length 6.098"

No, he didn't spec it for me but read about it and heard it on a similar setup and liked it. I did however like the TICK SNS Stage 2 also which I think Martin came up with (info from DMM) but need to research it more. I did hear the TICK cam and it sounded awesome... I want to talk to Martin at TICK anyway so I will bring up that cam, I assume it uses the EPS lobes?

DMM, thanks for the calculator I will defiently use it tonight while I'm doing more research. Also you probably noticed that the setup I listed was almost excatcly like the one you provided me with in a different post. You obviously know your stuff man and sent me in the perfect direction of what I needed to learn - u tha man!!

Turbo? Maybe down the road and probably not with this car. My wife had a 07 Saab 9-3 AERO v6 m6 that I sent the ecu off to get tuned and that thing was a blast to drive...little slow on the spool up. That car got traded in on the minivan when we had our first of 2 girls. Well glad to hear I'm headed in a good direction. Thanks to all.

----------

Forgot to mention that I found a guy on the vette forums that has a great webpage with some cool vids and pics. He does alot of nice clean write ups and was looking at his FAST 92/LS2 tb write up.

Check his site out: http://www.toquez06.com/

Makes me want a vette.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

EPS lobes are proprietary, and can only be ordered through Engine Power Systems (owned by Geoff Skinner). Although PatrickG often specs cams using EPS lobes, he also specs cams using a variety of other lobes, so unless the specification identified the lobe(s) one cannot assume EPS just because it is a PatrickG spec.

Gotcha, Thanks.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Yeah man, told ya I wasn't really trying to be a total dick. One of the things I like about Martin Smallwood (Tick) is he'll take the time to actually talk to you on the phone and help you out...free of charge. I went to Brian Tooley for the cam that I am installing right now, but Martin would have been my next choice. He has put together a few killer combos with the AI 226 heads lately, so you can personally follow how his specs have turned out.

In all honesty, become a member over on LS1 tech and PM people about their combos since most have them in their sig. PredatorZ (Mark) is another excellent resource on Tech and you can PM him with a cam spec you found (like the one you mentioned) and he'll tell you everything you'd ever want to know about it. He doesn't usually respond to blanket open questions though, he gets hit up a lot.

Knowing where to go to get impartial candid information really helps avoid headaches later on.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

^ I took this very advice from DMM. I was between a couple of cam specs but it was really being able to get on the phone with Martin and get help speccing my combo that sold me on him. He will tell you like it is, won't bullshit you or needlessly upsell you. I've found a lot of the more famous "boutique" cam speccers will only spec the more high end parts, needlessly costing you another couple hundred bucks.

If you can wait a few weeks, I'll let you know how the Tick 227/235 110+3 works out on my stock ls2 heads ad intake.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    ^ I took this very advice from DMM. I was between a couple of cam specs but it was really being able to get on the phone with Martin and get help speccing my combo that sold me on him. He will tell you like it is, won't bullshit you or needlessly upsell you. I've found a lot of the more famous "boutique" cam speccers will only spec the more high end parts, needlessly costing you another couple hundred bucks.

If you can wait a few weeks, I'll let you know how the Tick 227/235 110+3 works out on my stock ls2 heads ad intake.
    Sure! Would love to hear. Calling Martin Tuesday. In the mean time I have to get my clutch, headers, bushings, etc.. ordered.
    Problem is I can't stay out of the car long enough to wrench on it. Too fun.
    BTW, I am still awaiting my shifter from Brian and read a thread about the Holden Shifter knob and boot FROM austraila that some guys put on and actually found one on Ebay pretty cheap...although the shipping was like $50. Really looks nice. Now, if I can get my hands on those silver radio knobs with the v logo I will be set...too bad the guy quit making them. If anyone knows any other person that makes them let me know I been searching like crazy.
    Good luck on that cam.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Yeah man, told ya I wasn't really trying to be a total dick. One of the things I like about Martin Smallwood (Tick) is he'll take the time to actually talk to you on the phone and help you out...free of charge. I went to Brian Tooley for the cam that I am installing right now, but Martin would have been my next choice. He has put together a few killer combos with the AI 226 heads lately, so you can personally follow how his specs have turned out.

In all honesty, become a member over on LS1 tech and PM people about their combos since most have them in their sig. PredatorZ (Mark) is another excellent resource on Tech and you can PM him with a cam spec you found (like the one you mentioned) and he'll tell you everything you'd ever want to know about it. He doesn't usually respond to blanket open questions though, he gets hit up a lot.

Knowing where to go to get impartial candid information really helps avoid headaches later on.
    I have been on LS1TECH alot also. Some of the battle is knowing how to ask like you said. I guess I can't blame people that get hit up alot on he same questions. I'm quickly learning these "forums". But you my man have been awesome and I don't think you're a dick at all...you did save me.
    Thanks again for some more good info.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.