front end too low with Ground Control, need opinions please
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, front end too low with Ground Control, need opinions please in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I recently purchased this 05' V. The front end is sitting pretty low. From the ground to the fender is ...
    Chirpin4th is offline Cadillac Owners Member

front end too low with Ground Control, need opinions please

I recently purchased this 05' V. The front end is sitting pretty low. From the ground to the fender is right at 26". I would like to bring it up at least another inch, but the spring perch is already maxed out. I took some measurements, and from the center of the bottom bolt on the strut, to the bottom of the threaded collar is about 8 1/2". Im just wondering if the collar is sitting too low on the strut?
    I have never had these apart, so I don't know all that is involved. If anyone has any opinions, that would be great!

Or lmk if more information is needed.

Thanks for the help,

Jimmy
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

Re: front end too low with Ground Control, need opinions please

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...all/index.html

i'd check to see if anything is off from yours vs his. looks like his still has threads though i don't know how low his sits compared to yours.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

If the spring perch is maxed out, that means that the you have shorter springs installed than came with the kit. They're supposed to be 10"--you probably have 8" springs installed.

Mackey thanks, my next step will be to take the struts assembly apart and make sure everything matches up to the faq.

Fuzzy, that was my first thought. Here is a pic of the spring length. I believe it is compressed a bit.
    Attached Images

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I thought sure that the springs were too short, too. Looks to be that 10" Fuzzy mentioned.

It's a long shot, but what size is your front tires? Tire pressure? Stock wheels or aftermarket?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by Chirpin4th View Post
    Mackey thanks, my next step will be to take the struts assembly apart and make sure everything matches up to the faq.

Fuzzy, that was my first thought. Here is a pic of the spring length. I believe it is compressed a bit.
    That's odd. Definitely a standard Eibach spring. They don't sell 9" lengths, so it has to be a 10" spring. But you have weight off the wheels in that picture, meaning that it's still under 400-600 lbs of preload there. Can you clean up the spring enough to read the numbers printed on it? Also, if/when you replace the spring, you should remove the silver cap at the top of the shock body--the original installer should have done that. It can cause damage to the spring and squeaking/clunking that the driver can hear. Personally, I'd recommend replacing it with a Eibach 1000.250.0600 (10", 2.50" inner diameter, 600 in-lbs rate). Keep in mind that whatever you do, your rear springs will need to be at least 50 in-lbs higher than your front springs to match.

I got a pic of that too. The front spring says 1000.250.0500. This car was originally owned by 2003rc51, then sold to a guy around the corner from me. I'm not sure his forum name. But he said he replaced the fronts once. He said he didn't notice the car sitting any lower after the swap. I'll check on that silver cap, when I pull it apart. Thanks!

----------

front wheels are 19" and tire pressure is at 33-35 atm.

Thanks for everyone's input

I don't hear any clunking or noises. I don't notice anything really wrong with the ride, but does anyone think the front struts could just be bad?

This is how the car sat at one time on this ground control. Like I said, I was told the struts were changed once.
    Attached Images

I think I got it.. not positive tho. After staring at my suspension, and staring at the faq. I believe I may be missing an aluminum spacer between the top of the spring and the upper perch. If anyone has a complete part list of the ground control, I would love to see it. If not I guess I'll call them Tuesday, and see if it's something I cant order. I'm just not really sure that one spacer will make that big of a difference?
    If anyone has any suggestions lmk.

If you look at the pic, you can see my spring is up against rubber, not metal.

thanks.
    Attached Images

this pic is from the faq that Mackey posted. You can see that the spring is definitely not sitting on the same upper perch as mine. Now I just need to know what parts they are, and how to get them.
    Or maybe it is somehow mounted on top... which would make it even lower! I guess I'll have to pull them apart. I would hate to dismantle them, just to find out I don't have the parts I need to put them together correctly.
    Attached Images

You're missing the upper spring perch. Looks like the person who put your Ground Control kit together didn't read the instructions. At all.

Edit: you're missing the silver thing on top:

Awesome! I'm just glad I got it figured out! thanks for everyone's input. Anyone have a couple of upper spring perch's for sale?

Awesome! I'm just glad I got it figured out! thanks for everyone's input. Anyone have a couple of upper spring perch's for sale?
    No. They don't break and there isn't an upgrade path, so your best bet is going to be something from a wrecked V on eBay or one of the plethora of GM parts stores online.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    No. They don't break and there isn't an upgrade path, so your best bet is going to be something from a wrecked V on eBay or one of the plethora of GM parts stores online.
    I think he means the GC perch that you told him he's missing, not the bigass GM upper perch assembly.

You should be able to source them from GC pretty inexpensively.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I think he means the GC perch that you told him he's missing, not the bigass GM upper perch assembly.

You should be able to source them from GC pretty inexpensively.
    Exactly!

I'll give them a call on Tuesday. But first I'm going to take one side apart... maybe by some chance it was mounted above the factory upper strut mount. I don't know if there is room for it to be put on top. But at the same time, I'm having a hard time believing that little piece of aluminum is allowing my front end to have over a 4" drop just by being removed. I guess I'll find out. I hope its on there! And the guy I bought it from is certain there weren't any left over parts when he changed the front struts.

I'll keep this post updated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.