Almost ready to start modding!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Almost ready to start modding! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have wanted a v since the first time I saw one. Finally I purchased an 04 a few weeks ...
    sammyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v

Almost ready to start modding!

I have wanted a v since the first time I saw one. Finally I purchased an 04 a few weeks back. It is black on black and stock with the exception of a cone filter that someone just stuck in place of the airbox. So far I have ordered, with with some help and countless hours of reading the forums this is what I have or have ordered.

-H&r springs
    -MM spacers
    -Pissnuoff shifter
    -shifter bushings
    -everything available from revshift (minus the flex coulper)
    -Pacesetter headers
    -x pipe, cutouts, mufflers
    -tires 245/275

I will keep you guys updated as parts arrive and when I get around to installing them.

I have questions about the following though.

-Rear end
    Should I buy a gen four from the dealer and do gforce axles? Or just save a little more and do a 8.8 swap? I can swing 2000 for the axles and diff if it will last for awhile but cant afford 6k.

-Driveshaft
    Should i buy a one piece? my carrier bearing I think is junk I have not been under the car to closely examine it.

-cai intake
    Should I just buy a stocker used? Is there an aftermarket that really gains?

-Heads/Cam
    I have a torquer v2 because I took it out of my wifes truck. I just wasnt happy with it's performance. So should I go with a sns from tick I just want a off the shelf head/cam combo that works. If that is possible.

Clutch
    LS7 or a twin disc what do you think?

-Transmission
    Would it be benifical to have tick or someplace else rebuild it? it grinds alittle into second but I have old nasty clutch fluid that may be causing that.

Keep in mind this is going to be my dd I sold my 2 door go cart for this (going to start having little ones). It has to be reliable I am a fairly easy driver used to having to launch my cars soft I may track it but not hard.

By all means if I am misguided in anyway put me back on track.

Thanks
    Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

QwkRhino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None
    Quick tip the SRX diff also works in our cars and seem to be a lot cheaper and stronger then 1st & 2nd gen diffs. If you get this part # 19178781 GT4 G80 3.73 option and limited slip. You would just have to cut off about a inch off the pinion shaft and swap out the pinion input coupler with your old diff. I'm seeing them on ebay for about $500 brand new.
    Scott2012 and Scott2012 like this.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Get new axles and see if that helps with wheel hop. I was tracking the car around a tight road course and didn't get any hop. It was sliding all over the place, wet and dry. I do get wheel hop in a straight line though. And that is what kills the diffs. New axles will help a lot from what I understand. I'm going to be getting some geforce anti hop axles to see if that will help. I'll probably do them when I do my heads/cam at the end of next year.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Almost ready to start modding!

Looks like a nice list of mods. Would get a tune as well.

I forgot to mention I tune myself so that slipped my mind for the list. I called gforce and they told me if I plan any amount of power the axles are really no help but just was wondering if anyone here knew or thought otherwise

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
    Keep in mind this is going to be my dd I sold my 2 door go cart for this (going to start having little ones). It has to be reliable I am a fairly easy driver used to having to launch my cars soft I may track it but not hard.
    Which 2 door?

2010 cobalt ss/tc it was fun while it lasted it was 350whp 440wtq. Wife said car seat I said cts v or tbss. Got the v.... first.

----------

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...-27_124752.jpg

I don't know how to post pics yet but here is a link.

2010 cobalt ss/tc it was fun while it lasted it was 350whp 440wtq. Wife said car seat I said cts v or tbss. Got the v.... first.

----------

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...-27_124752.jpg

I don't know how to post pics yet but here is a link.
    I had a cobalt SS/TC also. I loved that thing. 440wtq is e85/91 mix right there. I got there on a stock turbo running 26psi with a Treadstone stage3 kit and a tr8 intercooler.

----------

I forgot to mention I tune myself so that slipped my mind for the list. I called gforce and they told me if I plan any amount of power the axles are really no help but just was wondering if anyone here knew or thought otherwise
    They seem to help quite a few guys, just don't do huge burnouts. The axles will go into any rear end you want as long as the splines match.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    I had a cobalt SS/TC also. I loved that thing. 440wtq is e85/91 mix right there. I got there on a stock turbo running 26psi with a Treadstone stage3 kit and a tr8 intercooler.

I just had e85 an aggressive tune and cat less down pipe. It was a blast to drive and got great mileage. I absolutely loved messing around from a roll with just about anything most people would at least give me a thumbs up.
    ----------

They seem to help quite a few guys, just don't do huge burnouts. The axles will go into any rear end you want as long as the splines match.
    If you had a modded tc then you know how to be easy on the skinny pedal. Huge smoky burnouts are cool but having a driving car is better.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post

I just had e85 an aggressive tune and cat less down pipe. It was a blast to drive and got great mileage. I absolutely loved messing around from a roll with just about anything most people would at least give me a thumbs up. If you had a modded tc then you know how to be easy on the skinny pedal. Huge smoky burnouts are cool but having a driving car is better.

Yea I loved my TC but me and my fiancee had a kid last year so I needed something with 4 doors... You know how those back seats were in the TC. I remember doing a roll race with a Roush Stage 3 supercharged mustang... I was door to door with him the whole way on my 91 grocery getter tune. If I was on ethanol I would have walked him easy. She had about 370lbs ft at the wheels on my 91 tune. On my ethanol mix I had more like 420-430 lbs ft. I had an Exedy clutch in it along with TTR stop mounts. Ah memories I loved that thing. There are some videos of AAA Speedway in Fontana on my youtube account. I had a few guys come up and ask what I had done to it to make it so quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWkY...e_gdata_player

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

The OE CV joints and rear diff handle approximately the same power, so axles don't help all too much unless you don't plan on getting into any fun until the top of second. I had a GEN IV rear and stock axles and was lucky nothing ever broke, bu upgraded to the 8.8" for peace of mind. The 8.8" takes care of many weaknesses at once so it is well worth the investment.

ok got all the parts installed with the exception of the shifter that I am still waiting on. But I do need a drive shaft I have looked at the options avalible but I am still unsure of what to get. My carrier bearing is junk so what do you guy think. I got a gen 4 diff installed while I was at it so that should last a little while.

----------

OH and my car feels completely different now it is amazing.

PISNUOFF Guest

Your shifter will be on your doorstep tomorrow. I shipped it yesterday. Sorry for the wait.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Rear end
    Should I buy a gen four from the dealer and do gforce axles? Or just save a little more and do a 8.8 swap? I can swing 2000 for the axles and diff if it will last for awhile but cant afford 6k.

Who's selling an 8.8 kit for 6k ? Is there a new 8.8 vendor that I'm unaware of ? Anyway..... Our 8.8 turn-key kit with two piece drive shaft or one piece aluminum drive shaft (your choice or one piece carbon fiber +$300) is $4500 +$200 for shipping. Add $375 for the upgraded 4340 outer CV's. That's $5075 with the CV's, turn-key on your door step. Installation of the whole kit can be a DIY for most people in 8 hours.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    Rear end

Who's selling an 8.8 kit for 6k ? Is there a new 8.8 vendor that I'm unaware of ? Anyway..... Our 8.8 turn-key kit with two piece drive shaft or one piece aluminum drive shaft (your choice or one piece carbon fiber +$300) is $4500 +$200 for shipping. Add $375 for the upgraded 4340 outer CV's. That's $5075 with the CV's, turn-key on your door step. Installation of the whole kit can be a DIY for most people in 8 hours.
    Sorry 5k I may have been thinking 9 inch when I said 6k. I already did the gen 4 diff no axles but I hope it will hold together for a while. One question I do have though is if I went with a stock length drive shaft could it later be modified to fit a 8.8 or would I have to sell it and buy new?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Your shifter will be on your doorstep tomorrow. I shipped it yesterday. Sorry for the wait.
    No problem man I just got the bushing the other day from luke not sweating it one bit the trans mount worked wonders for shifting but still very looking forward to feeling the difference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.