My experience with removing the resonator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, My experience with removing the resonator in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My 2006 V has a decent cam, OBX headers, no cats and a muffler delete. So it did have the ...
    iambigperm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

My experience with removing the resonator

My 2006 V has a decent cam, OBX headers, no cats and a muffler delete. So it did have the factory resonator and sounded great. I was totally happy with the sound, but a couple of weeks ago the resonator started breaking up inside and rattling like there was no tomorrow. Without a cost effective replacement, I decided to try replacing it with a Magnaflow x-pipe followed by a pair of 12" dynomax bullet mufflers. That combination was about the same length as the factory resonator and went in with ease.

The moment I started it up my heart sunk. It sounded like a cross between a straight piped Honda and a race car. It was even worse when I got it out on to the road and the droning was horrible. I parked it, took some measurements and ordered a pair of stainless ebay mufflers. I didn't even drive it again until the new mufflers arrived.

Well I put them on tonight and all is well again. I think it is a bit quieter than with just a resonator, but it sounds plenty healthy. For a $152 pair of mufflers these things worked like magic. They fit well and have nice tips. My recommendation is to stick with the resonator, but if you need mufflers these do the trick nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170972246874...84.m1497.l2649

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Can you get a sound clip? Did you keep the bullet mufflers in place of the resonator?
    How's the drone?

Vav
    Vav is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: My experience with removing the resonator

I have a cam, Kooks 1-7/8 longtubes, non-catted mids, corsa exhaust with corsa h-resonator. I had to run it without the resonator for a while after the longtubes were installed and it sounded like a stock car. I was worried it wouldnt quiet down much, but after I had the resonator reinstalled it was perfect. Nice rumble at idle and cruise, no drone, and is loud as S#!T at WOT! All in all the resonator helps way more than I had expected.

TheLostDriver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

I guess different folks different strokes

Here it is with the original resonator...

And now the x-pipe and mufflers....

I didn't bother taking a video with x-pipe and no mufflers. It sounded like crap.

----------

I did keep the bullet mufflers behind the x-pipe. There is zero drone now that the ebay mufflers were added.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

did you find an increase in its output

And wow thats quiet!!!

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    Not to thread jack..but...anyone interested in an unused corsa h-pipe? Have one collecting dust..just sayin

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

X-pipe will allow you to hear cylinder firing note at high RPM. With the resonator is will sound more like a vacuum cleaner.

It actually isn't as quiet as the second video leads you to believe. I doubt any of this made any difference in hp. All the exhaust components are straight through.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Heard a little too much whine on that last rev from inside the car. How are your belts/power steering fluid looking?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.