Getting an 04 v with a bad motor. Going with a 6.2 stroked!!!!!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Getting an 04 v with a bad motor. Going with a 6.2 stroked!!!!!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX Well Livernois Motlrsports can. They even sell a bored shortblock for that application. The whole point ...
    av8erdunn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Getting an 04 v with a bad motor. Going with a 6.2 stroked!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Well Livernois Motlrsports can. They even sell a bored shortblock for that application. The whole point I was trying to make is... There are better ways of yanking performance out of the motor, and that was the point the rest of the guys were going as well I think. Stroking a motor, in my opinion, is more problematic than boring it, sleeving it, and throwing a balanced rotating assembly to spin it fast. So yea, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything... Here is a link to Livernoi's website with the LS3 429... Its a little bigger than 427 Cruz the bore is 4.130 http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/....7%3A1%29.html
    I didnt take it as you being a dick. I am open to all suggestions.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by av8erdunn View Post

I didnt take it as you being a dick. I am open to all suggestions.
    Cool... Sometimes I don't even realize I'm being a dick to people. My girlfriend bitches at me all the time about it. You know there is no shame in doing a stock 6.2 displacement with a nice forged lower end and a big Eaton TVS on it.

Cool... Sometimes I don't even realize I'm being a dick to people. My girlfriend bitches at me all the time about it. You know there is no shame in doing a stock 6.2 displacement with a nice forged lower end and a big Eaton TVS on it.
    If I was going that route, wouldnt I be in it close to the same price as if I had went with the 418?

Quote Originally Posted by av8erdunn View Post
    If I was going that route, wouldnt I be in it close to the same price as if I had went with the 418?
    Yea but why go with a 418 instead of a tvs for similar price? Even a take off tvs from a ZL or ZR 1 is fairly reasonably priced. if it was between doing a stroker build and a supercharger, I would go forced induction every time, that's just my opinion tough... everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

----------

Ok lemme start from square one just to make sure I am properly following what you are saying so just to clarify...

You have a 6.2 out of a denali going in the V. Is the motor complete? If so, in your first post, you said you will be getting L92 heads. Now I am probably mistaken but doesn't the vortec 6200 already have L92 heads? Also if you are going to not use the pistons, you might as well sell the kit and get something you really want. If you buy new pistons and then sell the ones you aren't using, it isn't going to net you as much money as selling the whole kit as one set. And I'm not sure why you don't want to use a 4.125 inch bore, as far as I have seen and heard, it is safe to do. The issue most here are having, is the machining necessary on the bottom end of the block to properly clearance it for a significantly larger stroke. Also have you confirmed that the 6.2 is usable? What kind if damage has been done to it, if any? That makes a huge difference on whether to do a whole build on it or not. If it runs, sell the rotating assembly and then machine the heads and toss in a nice cam with the money and leave the bottom for now. That would be ideal. Heck you could come out with extra cash that way. If the 6.2 doesn't run, then that's a horse of a while different color.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Did the 6.2 Denali also get an aluminum block or is this iron?

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    Did the 6.2 Denali also get an aluminum block or is this iron?
    From what I understand any "Vortec" engine is iron block aluminum heads. So the denali motor is probably an iron block.

Yea but why go with a 418 instead of a tvs for similar price? Even a take off tvs from a ZL or ZR 1 is fairly reasonably priced. if it was between doing a stroker build and a supercharger, I would go forced induction every time, that's just my opinion tough... everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

----------

Ok lemme start from square one just to make sure I am properly following what you are saying so just to clarify...

You have a 6.2 out of a denali going in the V. Is the motor complete? If so, in your first post, you said you will be getting L92 heads. Now I am probably mistaken but doesn't the vortec 6200 already have L92 heads? Also if you are going to not use the pistons, you might as well sell the kit and get something you really want. If you buy new pistons and then sell the ones you aren't using, it isn't going to net you as much money as selling the whole kit as one set. And I'm not sure why you don't want to use a 4.125 inch bore, as far as I have seen and heard, it is safe to do. The issue most here are having, is the machining necessary on the bottom end of the block to properly clearance it for a significantly larger stroke. Also have you confirmed that the 6.2 is usable? What kind if damage has been done to it, if any? That makes a huge difference on whether to do a whole build on it or not. If it runs, sell the rotating assembly and then machine the heads and toss in a nice cam with the money and leave the bottom for now. That would be ideal. Heck you could come out with extra cash that way. If the 6.2 doesn't run, then that's a horse of a while different color.
    OK sorry for the delayed response as its been hectic around here lately. I actually got the car and found it to have a broken valve spring. It didn't do any damage, I bore scoped it and the piston is fine and parts will be here on Friday to fix it. As for the 6.2, its basicly a new motor; its got less than15k on the motor. I finally got the kit home and tore into it. The new crank is a 4.125 and the pistons are 4.065. Since the motor in the car is going to be OK I am going to take my time building this engine since there is no longer an urgency to get back on the road.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.