Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Heavy's ultimate radio modification

37K views 116 replies 35 participants last post by  TheCraigs 
#1 ·
#44 ·
Re: Is Heavy for real?

Using the computer for sound management and processing runs circles around the BOSE.

The Mac Mini has bluetooth.

You could use any computer/laptop/tablet for the source (display only), I just used the Mini Mac cuz I got it cheap, although they are pretty powerful.
So (I'm completely clueless and you clearly know what you're doing), could the Mac Mini be used to take calls from my phone and send the caller ID to the display?

It's a Mac, so clearly it's iPod-friendly, but I'll bet on a Mac, you'd just use iTunes. I wonder how well that'd work--you wouldn't want to see the whole iTunes screen (it probably wouldn't fit anyway). What are you doing for iPod input (if anything)?

I bet a Raspberry Pi would work...and they're tiny.

#45 ·

Hi guys, its me... Reed/CTSVETT... Its been a while. Ive been busy and involved in real work, motorcycles, houses, girls, etc. Still driving my V and loving every minute of it. Sorry I haven't updated the FAQ recently, if anyone has anything to add, shoot me an email at ctsvett@verizon.net and I can update things.

Ok, so I saw this live and had to post here about it...Its freaking cool. This is what I wanted forever ago when I first got the car.

What this now means (computer or no computer aside) is that you can now change the LCD display and hook up another other sources (ipad, iphone, computer, etc) WITHOUT losing the stock data or the stock radio... THIS is freakin cool!

I will probably not do a full computer like heavy, but I will do a VGA port in my center console (with the minijack audio input mod already on the forum) so I can hook up my ipad to the display for google maps while driving, videos, music, etc... AND then with no problem be able to see the stock data... If I had kids and videos in the headrests, I would do a video out to those as well... this is what GM should have done from the beginning

NICE WORK HEAVY!

THIS IS ONE I WILL DO...

Reed

#49 · (Edited)

I don't want to sound like a philistine, but the OEM Bose stuff sounds okay to me. I don't think I have very discriminating ears.

But if this thing can solve the iPod and Bluetooth issues (make navigating around in the iPod easier and display caller info. on the screen), I'd pay $800 for it. Yeah, that's steep-ish, but I can't imagine what it took Heavy to work this out. And the hardware has to cost something.

If it results in better audio quality as well, so much the better. Maybe passengers will appreciate it.

I also have no beef with the OEM nav...primarily because I never need nav in town, and when I do I use my phone. But it'd be cool to get Google Maps on the screen. And I guess if I ever want screens in the headrests on a long trip, this thing seems like it would do that. That's neat.

I dunno, I really have no perceived need for this beyond the BT and iPod issues, and I'm not 100% sure that this will fix those. But I'm still beyond impressed that Heavy has it working at all. I think the walking dog analogy is a good one.

I'm sort of waiting to hear how he integrates the audio. I figure once that's done, iPod and BT is just a matter of finding the software to make a pretty display to the screen and getting the computer to accept inputs from the car's knobs. If Heavy can do what he's done so far, I'll bet those things are trivial by comparison.

#50 ·

I don't want to sound like a philistine, but the OEM Bose stuff sounds okay to me. I don't think I have very discriminating ears.

But if this thing can solve the iPod and Bluetooth issues (make navigating around in the iPod easier and display caller info. on the screen), I'd pay $800 for it. Yeah, that's steep-ish, but I can't imagine what it took Heavy to work this out. And the hardware has to cost something.

If it results in better audio quality as well, so much the better. Maybe passengers will appreciate it.

I also have no beef with the OEM nav...primarily because I never need nav in town, and when I do I use my phone. But it'd be cool to get Google Maps on the screen. And I guess if I ever want screens in the headrests on a long trip, this thing seems like it would do that. That's neat.

I dunno, I really have no perceived need for this beyond the BT and iPod issues, and I'm not 100% sure that this will fix those. But I'm still beyond impressed that Heavy has it working at all. I think the walking dog analogy is a good one.

I'm sort of waiting to hear how he integrates the audio. I figure one that's done, iPod and BT is just a matter of finding the software to make a pretty display to the screen and getting the computer to accept inputs from the car's knobs. If Heavy can do what he's done so far, I'll bet those things are trivial by comparison.
The audio was duck soup.

I just plugged in a USB memory stick full of tunes and it worked.

The new Itunes gives volume control and an equalizer control.

A long time ago I added amplifiers to boost the BLOSE so hookup and check out were easy.

It paid to plan ahead.......

#52 ·

1. Cost of the HD display is very high and for a car dash, not worth it IMO.

2. The re-scaler does not guarantee that it will work, although I don't see why it should not.

3. HDMI connectors are shit to work with and then it would take more work on my part.

4. If you don't care about OEM data, others are installing "Parrots" which look very good.

If you want to order with a HD display, I can give a quote.

#54 · (Edited)

I bought a USB GPS ant and need to install it.

There are better navigation programs available that will run on the Mac, plus being able to use Google maps (if I have a wifi connection) is cool.

The volume control is a concern as it is very tiny on the screen and NO KNOB!

I am looking at apps that will work to solve this, by making controls bigger and a big MUTE button.

FOUND ONE! not an app but a real piece of hardware.

#55 ·
I still can't believe I lasted 5 1/2 years with the stock stereo on the '04. At least my '09 sounds 100 times better. Which is to say, just enough for me not to change it.

But, the V2 does have excellent placement and sizes for aftermarket. Space for 9" woofers in the doors. And a 10" in the rear deck makes for nice potential...

#57 ·

The reason for the display size makes perfect sense to me... I dont want a big wart on my console. I want to be able to use the standard buttons to control the stock radio and stock personalization features (T/C, info, radio, etc)... If I wanted a big high res display, I would make a ipad mount and put it over the entire radio- but then I would have is an Ipad mounted in my car- how elegant is that if someone can do that in a 73 pinto?

With Heavy's solution here, I get to keep the stock radio/ stock interface (with buttons) AND have an external input for a computer, ipad (to be put under a seat), and backup camera. This is integrated and elegant and seems put together... you COULD get into a V and would think it was stock, when we all know it would not be.

As for the HDMI vs VGA- I understand the limitations, but most everything I would want to plug into this has an option for both. VGA can handle resolutions FAR higher than I would want to put on the screen. You guys talk about cost, but then expect this to be over engineered... HAHA Cant have it both ways..

Reed

----------

Jim!!!!

#61 · (Edited)

Here is a picture of the modified radio face.

The three position switch selects: OEM data, ext VGA, force rear camera priority.

The push switch selects the input: VGA, AV1 (front camera), AV2 (rear camera).

The led indicates power on (red) and valid data (green).

The "bellybutton hole" is for the IR sensor for the remote control.

The remote is for display menus and adjustments you don't need to get at that often if ever so I didn't clutter up the face with a bunch of switches..

Attachments

#62 ·

what is the button on the left?

#67 ·

This looks badass Heavy!
Thanks guys.

The red knob is a joke sort of as someone complained about it being white (I scrapped all the paint off).

The radio is installed and the rear camera works.

I am finishing the hook up to the power supply for the Mini Mac.

i had to build a voltage regulator to step down 5 volts for the 5.1 decoder.

Just a sidetrack, but I enclosed it in a small tin box as it runs kinda hot.

Decoder draws over 400 ma.

The rear camera draws about 30 ma.

I still have to install and wire up the front camera and splice into the reverse light switch.

I added one more feature you are gonna get a kick out of.

#76 ·

I added a bigger screen.
Careful, you're starting to look like my install. That bigger screen is addictive. After a year with my 10.4", I could never go back to anything smaller.

#77 ·

Ok now you're just showing off, lol! That looks amazing! Is that a tablet or a monitor? Which model is that?
It is a 12 volt 15" LED monitor I got off Amazon.

Heavy's version of the 21st century "drive in".

Now I can watch a movie on a decent size screen and turn up the 5.1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.