Heavy's ultimate radio modification - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Heavy's ultimate radio modification in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Reed!!!...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Reed!!!

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Is Heavy for real?

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    I am doing the opposite.

I am taking the radio audio out and running it to the line in of the computer.

The Mini Mac has a optical out that gives 5.1 audio.

I am disconnecting the BOSE.

You are correct, the conversion is for the display only.
    Optical/SPDIF wouldn't pass lossless high resolution (high definition) 5.1, though. Granted, whether you'd be able to differentiate that on the stock speakers would be arguable.

More importantly, if one were already going through this effort (or cost, which, at $800, is considerable), would it not be preferable to utilize HDMI and a higher resolution FullHD (1920x1080) display; along with a much physically larger display to take advantage of that higher resolution and the larger real estate afforded by it, on which to run your preferred applications/programs on.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    Optical/SPDIF wouldn't pass lossless high resolution (high definition) 5.1, though. Granted, whether you'd be able to differentiate that on the stock speakers would be arguable.

More importantly, if one were already going through this effort (or cost, which, at $800, is considerable), would it not be preferable to utilize HDMI and a higher resolution FullHD (1920x1080) display; along with a much physically larger display to take advantage of that higher resolution and the larger real estate afforded by it, on which to run your preferred applications/programs on.
    1. I never intended for my V to be an "audio shrine", however a better then BLOSE is welcome.

The optical convertor I got does a GREAT job of converting to 5.1, the sound is far superior to what it sounded like before.

If you do some research, there is no such thing as "lossless" digital audio.

Also, the Mini Mac is just my choice for a computer and I really don't want to debate that decision.

2. As for another "bigger" display, I am working on porting the video data to a ext monitor connector (version 2.0).

3. $800.00 is CHEAP. The price is going up after I take care of the "first responders", furthermore I do not plan on making a career out of this.

As I told a fellow V owner, I don't care if I am the only one who does this (I won't be).

I appreciate your comments, but you remind me of the guy who comments how poorly a dog walks on two legs.

You should be in awe that it does at all.
    DocX36, DocX36, brack86svo and 1 others like this.

fre1102 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

I don't want to sound like a philistine, but the OEM Bose stuff sounds okay to me. I don't think I have very discriminating ears.

But if this thing can solve the iPod and Bluetooth issues (make navigating around in the iPod easier and display caller info. on the screen), I'd pay $800 for it. Yeah, that's steep-ish, but I can't imagine what it took Heavy to work this out. And the hardware has to cost something.

If it results in better audio quality as well, so much the better. Maybe passengers will appreciate it.

I also have no beef with the OEM nav...primarily because I never need nav in town, and when I do I use my phone. But it'd be cool to get Google Maps on the screen. And I guess if I ever want screens in the headrests on a long trip, this thing seems like it would do that. That's neat.

I dunno, I really have no perceived need for this beyond the BT and iPod issues, and I'm not 100% sure that this will fix those. But I'm still beyond impressed that Heavy has it working at all. I think the walking dog analogy is a good one.

I'm sort of waiting to hear how he integrates the audio. I figure once that's done, iPod and BT is just a matter of finding the software to make a pretty display to the screen and getting the computer to accept inputs from the car's knobs. If Heavy can do what he's done so far, I'll bet those things are trivial by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by fre1102 View Post
    I don't want to sound like a philistine, but the OEM Bose stuff sounds okay to me. I don't think I have very discriminating ears.

But if this thing can solve the iPod and Bluetooth issues (make navigating around in the iPod easier and display caller info. on the screen), I'd pay $800 for it. Yeah, that's steep-ish, but I can't imagine what it took Heavy to work this out. And the hardware has to cost something.

If it results in better audio quality as well, so much the better. Maybe passengers will appreciate it.

I also have no beef with the OEM nav...primarily because I never need nav in town, and when I do I use my phone. But it'd be cool to get Google Maps on the screen. And I guess if I ever want screens in the headrests on a long trip, this thing seems like it would do that. That's neat.

I dunno, I really have no perceived need for this beyond the BT and iPod issues, and I'm not 100% sure that this will fix those. But I'm still beyond impressed that Heavy has it working at all. I think the walking dog analogy is a good one.

I'm sort of waiting to hear how he integrates the audio. I figure one that's done, iPod and BT is just a matter of finding the software to make a pretty display to the screen and getting the computer to accept inputs from the car's knobs. If Heavy can do what he's done so far, I'll bet those things are trivial by comparison.
    The audio was duck soup.

I just plugged in a USB memory stick full of tunes and it worked.

The new Itunes gives volume control and an equalizer control.

A long time ago I added amplifiers to boost the BLOSE so hookup and check out were easy.

It paid to plan ahead.......

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

1. I never intended for my V to be an "audio shrine", however a better then BLOSE is welcome.

The optical convertor I got does a GREAT job of converting to 5.1, the sound is far superior to what it sounded like before.

Also, the Mini Mac is just my choice for a computer and I really don't want to debate that decision.

2. As for another "bigger" display, I am working on porting the video data to a ext monitor connector (version 2.0).

3. $800.00 is CHEAP. The price is going up after I take care of the "first responders", furthermore I do not plan on making a career out of this.

As I told a fellow V owner, I don't care if I am the only one who does this (I won't be).

I appreciate your comments, but you remind me of the guy who comments how poorly a dog walks on two legs.

You should be in awe that it does at all.
    Was never debating your decision for a Mini Mac. The Optical/SPDIF bandwidth limitation (inherent to the the interface specifications, not your choice of computer) was just tangential to the issue of using a VGA display instead of one with an HDMI interface (which would make the optical interface unnecessary/redundant and has more than enough bandwidth for current audio/video formats).

Was never my intention to belittle your efforts. In fact, the query as to why not the use of HDMI (in lieu of VGA) when one has already gone through such efforts, intimates that the efforts were considerable in the first place. If you feel that I am relating your efforts to that of an awkward bipedal dog, by all means, feel free to disregard my question. However, it was simply an earnest inquiry - ie., can you utilize HDMI, instead of VGA, and, likewise, implement a physically larger display?

And I never made any assessment on the value or cost-benefits of this project - i.e., is it cheap or expensive for what you get, which is in itself very subjective in nature. The main advantage this project offers is the ability to keep the OEM data, since, if one forgoes the retention of the OEM data, all the other advantages associated with a carputer (which is not included) are available separately. So, it becomes very much a subjective matter of whether it is worth keeping the OEM data. For most people, that worth will take into account the cost more so than any effort required to do so, further separating the chasm between those who might perceive it as cheap or expensive. Hence, you're not going to sway or attract anyone who doesn't care for OEM retention.

Years back, in threads where talk of this very subject began, I was very keen on seeing this pan out - i.e., the ability to implement a carputer with retention of OEM data. Hence, my interest. Otherwise, I would have not bothered asking anything. Which brings me back to the fact that I never made any statements on the value or worth of this project. I simply stated that the cost, much like the effort, is considerable, which, at $800, it clearly is. At that point, the cost difference between utilizing a display with VGA connections and one with HDMI connections (with FullHD and a larger physical size) would be negligible. Most of the cost is associated with R&D and labor - the up-specing of parts would have a marginal effect on the price. Hence, once more, the query as to why not a large HDMI touch screen display? And again, only reason I would even be asking is because I am interested.

1. Cost of the HD display is very high and for a car dash, not worth it IMO.

2. The re-scaler does not guarantee that it will work, although I don't see why it should not.

3. HDMI connectors are shit to work with and then it would take more work on my part.

4. If you don't care about OEM data, others are installing "Parrots" which look very good.

If you want to order with a HD display, I can give a quote.

fre1102 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

The audio was duck soup.

I just plugged in a USB memory stick full of tunes and it worked.

The new Itunes gives volume control and an equalizer control.

A long time ago I added amplifiers to boost the BLOSE so hookup and check out were easy.

It paid to plan ahead.......
    The volume is controlled off the car's volume knob? What's the iPod display look like? I couldn't really tell from the video. For GPS, are you getting the signal from the car's antenna, or did you put an antenna on the computer? That doesn't so much matter, I was just wondering if you're taking car input, routing it through the computer, then back to the car or not. At some point, you'll have basically done more to this than G.M. did.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    Was never debating your decision for a Mini Mac. The Optical/SPDIF bandwidth limitation (inherent to the the interface specifications, not your choice of computer) was just tangential to the issue of using a VGA display instead of one with an HDMI interface (which would make the optical interface unnecessary/redundant and has more than enough bandwidth for current audio/video formats).

Was never my intention to belittle your efforts. In fact, the query as to why not the use of HDMI (in lieu of VGA) when one has already gone through such efforts, intimates that the efforts were considerable in the first place. If you feel that I am relating your efforts to that of an awkward bipedal dog, by all means, feel free to disregard my question. However, it was simply an earnest inquiry - ie., can you utilize HDMI, instead of VGA, and, likewise, implement a physically larger display?

And I never made any assessment on the value or cost-benefits of this project - i.e., is it cheap or expensive for what you get, which is in itself very subjective in nature. The main advantage this project offers is the ability to keep the OEM data, since, if one forgoes the retention of the OEM data, all the other advantages associated with a carputer (which is not included) are available separately. So, it becomes very much a subjective matter of whether it is worth keeping the OEM data. For most people, that worth will take into account the cost more so than any effort required to do so, further separating the chasm between those who might perceive it as cheap or expensive. Hence, you're not going to sway or attract anyone who doesn't care for OEM retention.

Years back, in threads where talk of this very subject began, I was very keen on seeing this pan out - i.e., the ability to implement a carputer with retention of OEM data. Hence, my interest. Otherwise, I would have not bothered asking anything. Which brings me back to the fact that I never made any statements on the value or worth of this project. I simply stated that the cost, much like the effort, is considerable, which, at $800, it clearly is. At that point, the cost difference between utilizing a display with VGA connections and one with HDMI connections (with FullHD and a larger physical size) would be negligible. Most of the cost is associated with R&D and labor - the up-specing of parts would have a marginal effect on the price. Hence, once more, the query as to why not a large HDMI touch screen display? And again, only reason I would even be asking is because I am interested.
    I think a touch screen might be cool (when I do use the car's nav, I find myself trying to 'drag' the map with my finger), but then again I don't know that it would be worth paying for.

HD (for me at least) is even less so--it'd be really cool for the wow factor right after the install, then I'd never use it again. I see guys so interested in playing movies on the nav screen--I'll never do that. I couldn't watch it while driving, and I won't park and sit in the car to watch a movie. The screen is canted towards me and small anyway--I'd rather get a passenger a dedicated dvd player to hold in their lap if they wanted to watch a movie.

Likewise, all the information I *do* care about seeing while driving is rendered just fine in VGA. Yes, it'd look sharper and sexier in HD...but I'm not sure how much more I'd be willing to pay for that. I guess I'd have to find out what HD costs and decide.

The OEM data retention and OEM physical appearance was key for me. I like keeping stuff stock-looking. I don't know why.

I bought a USB GPS ant and need to install it.

There are better navigation programs available that will run on the Mac, plus being able to use Google maps (if I have a wifi connection) is cool.

The volume control is a concern as it is very tiny on the screen and NO KNOB!

I am looking at apps that will work to solve this, by making controls bigger and a big MUTE button.

FOUND ONE! not an app but a real piece of hardware.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I still can't believe I lasted 5 1/2 years with the stock stereo on the '04. At least my '09 sounds 100 times better. Which is to say, just enough for me not to change it.

But, the V2 does have excellent placement and sizes for aftermarket. Space for 9" woofers in the doors. And a 10" in the rear deck makes for nice potential...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I still can't believe I lasted 5 1/2 years with the stock stereo on the '04. At least my '09 sounds 100 times better. Which is to say, just enough for me not to change it.

But, the V2 does have excellent placement and sizes for aftermarket. Space for 9" woofers in the doors. And a 10" in the rear deck makes for nice potential...
    Within six months of having my 05 I had a supercharger.

I think it was eight before I added amplifiers.

This took seven!

The 5.1 sounds great.

I found a volume control that plugs into the USB.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

The reason for the display size makes perfect sense to me... I dont want a big wart on my console. I want to be able to use the standard buttons to control the stock radio and stock personalization features (T/C, info, radio, etc)... If I wanted a big high res display, I would make a ipad mount and put it over the entire radio- but then I would have is an Ipad mounted in my car- how elegant is that if someone can do that in a 73 pinto?

With Heavy's solution here, I get to keep the stock radio/ stock interface (with buttons) AND have an external input for a computer, ipad (to be put under a seat), and backup camera. This is integrated and elegant and seems put together... you COULD get into a V and would think it was stock, when we all know it would not be.

As for the HDMI vs VGA- I understand the limitations, but most everything I would want to plug into this has an option for both. VGA can handle resolutions FAR higher than I would want to put on the screen. You guys talk about cost, but then expect this to be over engineered... HAHA Cant have it both ways..

Reed

----------

Jim!!!!

Here is where I will probably mount the rear camera:

Still haven't decided on where the front camera will mount.
    Attached Images

Couldn't mount the camera like I wanted so I went with this:

Here is a picture of the 5.1 surround sound amplifiers installed.

Had a cancellation for a radio mod.

Slot is open for anyone who wants it done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.