Heavy's ultimate radio modification

37K views 116 replies 35 participants last post by  TheCraigs 
#1 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Re: Is Heavy for real?

Very cool heavy.
Thanks for the compliments from all.

Here are a few screen shots of where I am today.,

The OEM data is "perfect", back up camera works as does the computer.

Attachments

#10 ·

Dammit Heavy, I am starting to get the Mod bug back again thanks to you!

I am really looking forward to see what the final version looks like, this is awesome.
Go here:

https://autoappmart.com

The finished version should look just like stock except for the addition a few switches on the front panel.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·

For those planning on running a non mac mini pc Centrafuse is a great front end software for music playback.
You can always load the Mac with Windows or Linux if you prefer.

At least you have a choice rather then it not being possible.

By the way, the V2 doesn't do this.

#21 ·

what are the benefits besides the camera and music...

Will i be able to load a local navi disc?
All the stock radio functions are retained except brightness and contrast are done on a different menu.

I bought a USB GPS ant/system and was fooling around with GOOGLE maps.

You won't believe how much better this is then the OEM.

It depends on what you want for a computer if you even want one.

A couple of guys just want a back up camera.

#23 ·

Why don't you remove the Mac's case to gain a little extra clearance?
One would have to remove the case and about two inches of circuit board!

LOL

Kind of like stretch pants on some women.

Fits but you can't do anything.

I am already on version 1.1.

Parts are on order from China.

#25 · (Edited)

Here are pictures of where the Mini Mac is gonna be mounted and the modified radio re-installed for testing.

The switch panel on the left is for the display and will be hidden.

The switch on the right is for display selection of: OEM data, EXT VGA (computer), rear camera.

That will probably be mounted to the front panel.

Here is a video of a friend checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPL-sz3Hpg

Attachments

#32 ·

you sparked my interest...Gonna see how much i have left after my PCM upgrade...Gonna get the Pro-Efi. Read great stories about the upgrade, but no one has done it on a V yet so this should be interesting

AEM had an upgrade years ago for the 02 camaro, but dont know if the cache memory is the same. Gained 16hp and 5lbft vs the stock setup...and was plug and play to boot....

#38 ·

What I meant was, "I can pay you money and get that in my car?"

If that's the case, tell me how I can pay you money to get that in my car. :)

And tell me what I'm getting. Does it have bluetooth? Ipod caability? Aux in? (So I can get rid of all the other aftermarket stuff for that?) Can I mount it somewhere other than behind the armrest (somewhere invisible)? What are those cables coming out of the center console, and are they going to be there in the final version? The xM function is retained, right?

I don't know how much I care about a back-up camera, but I guess it'd be cool to have. Where are you mounting the camera?

#39 ·

What I meant was, "I can pay you money and get that in my car?"

If that's the case, tell me how I can pay you money to get that in my car. :)

And tell me what I'm getting. Does it have bluetooth? Ipod caability? Aux in? (So I can get rid of all the other aftermarket stuff for that?) Can I mount it somewhere other than behind the armrest (somewhere invisible)? What are those cables coming out of the center console, and are they going to be there in the final version? The xM function is retained, right?

I don't know how much I care about a back-up camera, but I guess it'd be cool to have. Where are you mounting the camera?
I am offering the display conversion only (at present), you provide and connect your own computer.

I am just showing what is possible and what I am doing with the conversion I did to my radio.

The new display has an interface that will accept 1) VGA input 2) AV inputs (front and rear camera).

I add an extra VGA input and a switch for it.

One mode you get the OEM data, the other mode is the VGA #2 input.

Parts are on order and I should have them in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I am taking deposits (50%).

Total cost (shipping not included) will be around $800.00.

#40 ·

Okay, so I'm basically buying a new display from you, with some associated switching, etc., right?

And this display will accept the current (VGA) input from the car, so it could conceivably just be used like the current display--all the OEM inputs are available on one 'channel'.

Then there are two a/v inputs I can use to mount a front and rear camera.

Then there's another VGA input that I can connect to a computer and that could display everything a computer can display.

So the audio channels are unaffected. Bluetooth and iPod stay the same as they are now, with the exception that if BT and iPod were connected to the computer, the computer could output an associated video feed to the display, but not the audio.

This conversion is video input/output only.

Do I have that right?

I suppose I could figure out how to output the computer audio to the car's audio.

Or more likely, wait for someone like you to figure it out for me... :)

#47 ·

I am doing the opposite.

I am taking the radio audio out and running it to the line in of the computer.

The Mini Mac has a optical out that gives 5.1 audio.

I am disconnecting the BOSE.

You are correct, the conversion is for the display only.
Optical/SPDIF wouldn't pass lossless high resolution (high definition) 5.1, though. Granted, whether you'd be able to differentiate that on the stock speakers would be arguable.

More importantly, if one were already going through this effort (or cost, which, at $800, is considerable), would it not be preferable to utilize HDMI and a higher resolution FullHD (1920x1080) display; along with a much physically larger display to take advantage of that higher resolution and the larger real estate afforded by it, on which to run your preferred applications/programs on.

#42 ·

What does running the radio output through the Mac do for you? Just give you better sound quality?

----------

I guess I'd really just like to know if there's a way to get iPod and Bluetooth through the Mac so I can lose the USASpec p.o.s. and the Galaxy 1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.