Heavy's ultimate radio modification - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Heavy's ultimate radio modification in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho Where has Reed been? He bought this really nice home and has been working on it. ...
    heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Is Heavy for real?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Where has Reed been?
    He bought this really nice home and has been working on it.

Also travels a lot.

You ready for me to make your V2 radio bitchin?

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

you sparked my interest...Gonna see how much i have left after my PCM upgrade...Gonna get the Pro-Efi. Read great stories about the upgrade, but no one has done it on a V yet so this should be interesting

AEM had an upgrade years ago for the 02 camaro, but dont know if the cache memory is the same. Gained 16hp and 5lbft vs the stock setup...and was plug and play to boot....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post

He bought this really nice home and has been working on it.

Also travels a lot.

You ready for me to make your V2 radio bitchin?
    hmm...

silentwig is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Maybe its just me, but the images your attaching heavy are wallet size

Quote Originally Posted by silentwig View Post
    Maybe its just me, but the images your attaching heavy are wallet size
    Try them now.

fre1102 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

Try them now.
    I just re-read the last few pages--you're selling kits? Give us the sales pitch, man! What will this do, how will it mount, etc, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fre1102 View Post
    I just re-read the last few pages--you're selling kits? Give us the sales pitch, man! What will this do, how will it mount, etc, etc., etc.
    I am not selling kits, although that is a thought.

I am offering to do the conversion.

It requires micro soldering skills to assemble.

What I meant was, "I can pay you money and get that in my car?"

If that's the case, tell me how I can pay you money to get that in my car. :-)

And tell me what I'm getting. Does it have bluetooth? Ipod caability? Aux in? (So I can get rid of all the other aftermarket stuff for that?) Can I mount it somewhere other than behind the armrest (somewhere invisible)? What are those cables coming out of the center console, and are they going to be there in the final version? The xM function is retained, right?

I don't know how much I care about a back-up camera, but I guess it'd be cool to have. Where are you mounting the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by fre1102 View Post
    What I meant was, "I can pay you money and get that in my car?"

If that's the case, tell me how I can pay you money to get that in my car. :-)

And tell me what I'm getting. Does it have bluetooth? Ipod caability? Aux in? (So I can get rid of all the other aftermarket stuff for that?) Can I mount it somewhere other than behind the armrest (somewhere invisible)? What are those cables coming out of the center console, and are they going to be there in the final version? The xM function is retained, right?

I don't know how much I care about a back-up camera, but I guess it'd be cool to have. Where are you mounting the camera?
    I am offering the display conversion only (at present), you provide and connect your own computer.

I am just showing what is possible and what I am doing with the conversion I did to my radio.

The new display has an interface that will accept 1) VGA input 2) AV inputs (front and rear camera).

I add an extra VGA input and a switch for it.

One mode you get the OEM data, the other mode is the VGA #2 input.

Parts are on order and I should have them in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I am taking deposits (50%).

Total cost (shipping not included) will be around $800.00.

Okay, so I'm basically buying a new display from you, with some associated switching, etc., right?

And this display will accept the current (VGA) input from the car, so it could conceivably just be used like the current display--all the OEM inputs are available on one 'channel'.

Then there are two a/v inputs I can use to mount a front and rear camera.

Then there's another VGA input that I can connect to a computer and that could display everything a computer can display.

So the audio channels are unaffected. Bluetooth and iPod stay the same as they are now, with the exception that if BT and iPod were connected to the computer, the computer could output an associated video feed to the display, but not the audio.

This conversion is video input/output only.

Do I have that right?

I suppose I could figure out how to output the computer audio to the car's audio.

Or more likely, wait for someone like you to figure it out for me... :-)

I am doing the opposite.

I am taking the radio audio out and running it to the line in of the computer.

The Mini Mac has a optical out that gives 5.1 audio.

I am disconnecting the BOSE.

You are correct, the conversion is for the display only.

What does running the radio output through the Mac do for you? Just give you better sound quality?

----------

I guess I'd really just like to know if there's a way to get iPod and Bluetooth through the Mac so I can lose the USASpec p.o.s. and the Galaxy 1000.

Using the computer for sound management and processing runs circles around the BOSE.

The Mac Mini has bluetooth.

You could use any computer/laptop/tablet for the source (display only), I just used the Mini Mac cuz I got it cheap, although they are pretty powerful.

Using the computer for sound management and processing runs circles around the BOSE.

The Mac Mini has bluetooth.

You could use any computer/laptop/tablet for the source (display only), I just used the Mini Mac cuz I got it cheap, although they are pretty powerful.
    So (I'm completely clueless and you clearly know what you're doing), could the Mac Mini be used to take calls from my phone and send the caller ID to the display?

It's a Mac, so clearly it's iPod-friendly, but I'll bet on a Mac, you'd just use iTunes. I wonder how well that'd work--you wouldn't want to see the whole iTunes screen (it probably wouldn't fit anyway). What are you doing for iPod input (if anything)?

I bet a Raspberry Pi would work...and they're tiny.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Hi guys, its me... Reed/CTSVETT... Its been a while. Ive been busy and involved in real work, motorcycles, houses, girls, etc. Still driving my V and loving every minute of it. Sorry I haven't updated the FAQ recently, if anyone has anything to add, shoot me an email at ctsvett@verizon.net and I can update things.

Ok, so I saw this live and had to post here about it...Its freaking cool. This is what I wanted forever ago when I first got the car.

What this now means (computer or no computer aside) is that you can now change the LCD display and hook up another other sources (ipad, iphone, computer, etc) WITHOUT losing the stock data or the stock radio... THIS is freakin cool!

I will probably not do a full computer like heavy, but I will do a VGA port in my center console (with the minijack audio input mod already on the forum) so I can hook up my ipad to the display for google maps while driving, videos, music, etc... AND then with no problem be able to see the stock data... If I had kids and videos in the headrests, I would do a video out to those as well... this is what GM should have done from the beginning

NICE WORK HEAVY!

THIS IS ONE I WILL DO...

Reed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.