2005 LS6 Magnacharger Build Question - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2005 LS6 Magnacharger Build Question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; opcorn..... Just to add for fodder, I'm running a maggie on a nearly stock 2005. Headers, LS2 Throttle body, overdrive ...
    Hammar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Re: 2005 LS6 Magnacharger Build Question

opcorn.....

Just to add for fodder, I'm running a maggie on a nearly stock 2005. Headers, LS2 Throttle body, overdrive damper, no cats, LS-9/katech clutch, 1 step colder plugs, self tuned.

I put the maggie on at ~110k miles, I'm almost at 135k now. I've never had the valve covers/oil pan off, it's completely stock internal. Now, it's also probably a ticking time bomb.... but I've been delicate with timing (14-16 degrees total at full boogie ~10psi) and a little heavy on fuel, and just enjoy the heck out of it.

You can go a long ways on stock parts if you're carefull with the toon. I'll do valve springs and maybe a cam some time in the future (after a trans rebuild....), but I'm not sure I'd change much more. It's already way to easy to get in trouble

Good luck,

Hammar
    Maggied 2005

brngrhd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by Hammar View Post
    opcorn.....

Just to add for fodder, I'm running a maggie on a nearly stock 2005. Headers, LS2 Throttle body, overdrive damper, no cats, LS-9/katech clutch, 1 step colder plugs, self tuned.

I put the maggie on at ~110k miles, I'm almost at 135k now. I've never had the valve covers/oil pan off, it's completely stock internal. Now, it's also probably a ticking time bomb.... but I've been delicate with timing (14-16 degrees total at full boogie ~10psi) and a little heavy on fuel, and just enjoy the heck out of it.

You can go a long ways on stock parts if you're carefull with the toon. I'll do valve springs and maybe a cam some time in the future (after a trans rebuild....), but I'm not sure I'd change much more. It's already way to easy to get in trouble

Good luck,

Hammar
    Maggied 2005
    Who's OD damper? Part number? I'm looking for one but without going to an 8 rib have not found one.

Hammar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

It's an Over Drive damper, by Innovaters West. Here's the link to one on the Hendricks site.

This is an 8-rib damper, but I'm only running a 6 rib belt on it. Thought I might want to step up some day, so spent just a little extra so I wouldn't have to upgrade later.

http://w.ivenue.com/hendrixengineeri...rib-drive.html

Hammar
    Maggied 2005
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Have you dynod the car with that Maggie?

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    The guy that bought my 04 dyno'd 498/505 on 93 octane... Stock long block, headers, IW overdrive dampener, 2.6" upper

Quote Originally Posted by Skidmarcx View Post
    The guy that bought my 04 dyno'd 498/505 on 93 octane... Stock long block, headers, IW overdrive dampener, 2.6" upper
    That's not too bad at all.

Agreed... Can't ask for much more from a Maggie... I was having clutch problems and could only hit a 12.22@120, so he installed his spare LS7 kit and ran an 11.94@123... Damn good for the car and power combo

Yea for sure. everyone makes it seem like maggies are horrible. But in reality 500hp at the wheels is pretty respectable. I still want to get the stock heads machined and a nice cam put in before I step up to forced induction. Still debating on a Maggie hybrid roots over an Eaton TVS type. I kinda wanted 600 at the wheels but I would definitely have the lower end beefed up with some forged parts... Meh doesn't matter anyhow, I got a wedding coming up next year and all my money is going into that... After the wedding though, I'm gonna set aside some funds every month til there is enough money to have it transformed into something so diabolical, even the devil himself wouldn't dare challenge the V.

Well Grats on the wedding... And I would just go turbo... Just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Skidmarcx View Post
    Well Grats on the wedding... And I would just go turbo... Just my two cents
    Thanks... Well I had a turbo car before. It was just a little 4 banger cobalt SS but it was a blast. I still haven't decided on what route I'm gonna do. I am not going to go FI until I have a built lower end and probably an 8.8 in the rear. I don't particularly like breaking things. I would rather do it correctly the first time. I remember me and a buddy at work (he drives a C5) were talking about car stuff and he asked what I wanted to do and I told him. He asked how much it would cost. I just shot out a number and was like probably $15k in parts. and another $5k for all the machining and installation since I'm probably going to have the motor work done. I'll do most of the suspension and rear end myself. But I don't have a engine picker and other stuff to do the job properly.

The stock long blocks can handle some power with the right tune... Obviously if you want LOTS of power I agree build the motor... Smart idea doing the drivetrain first

I've heard of stock long blocks and rotating assemblies taking 600whp or a little more. And I have no doubt that can happen. Buuuut I don't want to do it on a motor with 100k miles. Just kind of seems more like a when than if it will blow up.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    He asked how much it would cost. I just shot out a number and was like probably $15k in parts. and another $5k for all the machining and installation since I'm probably going to have the motor work done.
    Wow, for $20k that's a whole car: 4-banger, turbo, clutch, TB, exhaust, Ti springs, AEM...the works that would make 500whp reliably!

To the OP...If going the SC route, for simplicity I would go with the Maggie. It bolts on in a weekend and is self-contained. It pushes the LS6 block within the safe limits of stock. For added safety, change the springs - 4-6 hrs. The kit even comes with a tune. That totals about $6500-7000. In one weekend, you can then begin destroying your axles, rear-end, and clutch with aggressive street driving.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post

Wow, for $20k that's a whole car: 4-banger, turbo, clutch, TB, exhaust, Ti springs, AEM...the works that would make 500whp reliably!
    I've had a turbo 4 banger. They do alright. But for that $20k the drivetrain would be indestructible. CS rear end, rebuilt trans with all the goodies, 1000hp clutch/flywheel, forged lowered end punched out some, ported heads with good valvetrain and a big ass TVS or KB twin screw on it. I'm not sure how much you have looked into Honda race parts, or other 4 Banger's part but to do them right is a pretty penny... Motors are as much or more than LS blocks depending on what you get. My cobalt SS had a block good to like 500whp from factory and with a turbo swap it could have got there... But there were transmission issues, steering issues, and the fact you are driving a 4 banner and I really missed the v8 rumble.

I hear what you're saying though... Its a retarded amount to spend on this car. But it would make a ridiculous amount of power reliably

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

I agree with what you're saying to a point. Take the Honda F20c and F22c, they come with forged bottoms etc and ready to boost to ~500whp, same with the equivalent K-series Honda engines. Just boost and go! With the right platform $10k on a 4-banger yields equivalent results minus the torque. I like the LS engines and realize the safe limit on my LS6 is about the same as the stock Honda F20c I have loaded in my s2k. The 2 cars are worlds apart but when I compare the 2 sitting in my garage, I can't stop thinking that one is built robust and the other sloppy - strictly speaking platforms. So when I'm comparing platforms, I think the V1 has more hurdles to overcome and thus drives the price higher for the same whp and reliability. For double the money, yeah I think the V1 comes out a clear winner with all that V8 awesomeness.

I think the V1 and V2 platforms are the best looking 4 door sports cars out there. For $20k in mods, yeah the V1 is untouchable compared with most of the import bolt-ons. To bring the V1 into the same circuit with a bolt-on roots blower, you have wheel hop issues, rear-end worries, and possible axle failure. Those are the same issues that some imports have with the same power at ~500 whp rowing through the gears.

Seriously, I just wish the V1 platform could handle bolt-on power without rear-end/axle worries with a simple bolt-on roots blower. While I'm wishing, perhaps a better shifter that doesn't feel like I'm shifting a 18 wheeler- what a POS design.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.