Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2005 LS6 Magnacharger Build Question

8K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  RyRidesMotoX 
#1 ·
Upon buying my first V two weeks ago, I already have that bug to start modding. My plan is this next winter put the V in the garage and start tearing down for upgrades to rear end working my way forward.

One of the biggest questions I have is what heads to use with a forged bottom end and a Brute Speed Cam the will compliment a Magnacharger the best? I have read so many post about the stock heads and Maggie being a ineffecient combo because of the higher CR. Most people I talk to say go with LQ9 heads as they flow the same but will lower CR.

Obviously I am a newbie here and don't know a whole lot. What heads? And what valve springs etc would be best with the Brute Speed blower cam? I don't mind paying a good amount amount on heads if there is something out there that may be what I need/want. Also, would like to have roller rockers.

My other option which I have been eyeing for some time is maybe a Texas Speed Iron 408 and stay N/A. Worried about the extra weight of the iron block and compatibility to swap into my V. This car will only be street driven and drivability is important. Not worried about mpg. I want torque and lots of it!

I always try and search first before posting something but I am stumped on this one. Any help would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#38 ·
Yea for sure. everyone makes it seem like maggies are horrible. But in reality 500hp at the wheels is pretty respectable. I still want to get the stock heads machined and a nice cam put in before I step up to forced induction. Still debating on a Maggie hybrid roots over an Eaton TVS type. I kinda wanted 600 at the wheels but I would definitely have the lower end beefed up with some forged parts... Meh doesn't matter anyhow, I got a wedding coming up next year and all my money is going into that... After the wedding though, I'm gonna set aside some funds every month til there is enough money to have it transformed into something so diabolical, even the devil himself wouldn't dare challenge the V.

#40 ·
Thanks... Well I had a turbo car before. It was just a little 4 banger cobalt SS but it was a blast. I still haven't decided on what route I'm gonna do. I am not going to go FI until I have a built lower end and probably an 8.8 in the rear. I don't particularly like breaking things. I would rather do it correctly the first time. I remember me and a buddy at work (he drives a C5) were talking about car stuff and he asked what I wanted to do and I told him. He asked how much it would cost. I just shot out a number and was like probably $15k in parts. and another $5k for all the machining and installation since I'm probably going to have the motor work done. I'll do most of the suspension and rear end myself. But I don't have a engine picker and other stuff to do the job properly.

#43 ·
He asked how much it would cost. I just shot out a number and was like probably $15k in parts. and another $5k for all the machining and installation since I'm probably going to have the motor work done.
Wow, for $20k that's a whole car: 4-banger, turbo, clutch, TB, exhaust, Ti springs, AEM...the works that would make 500whp reliably! :hide:

To the OP...If going the SC route, for simplicity I would go with the Maggie. It bolts on in a weekend and is self-contained. It pushes the LS6 block within the safe limits of stock. For added safety, change the springs - 4-6 hrs. The kit even comes with a tune. That totals about $6500-7000. In one weekend, you can then begin destroying your axles, rear-end, and clutch with aggressive street driving.

#45 ·
I agree with what you're saying to a point. Take the Honda F20c and F22c, they come with forged bottoms etc and ready to boost to ~500whp, same with the equivalent K-series Honda engines. Just boost and go! With the right platform $10k on a 4-banger yields equivalent results minus the torque. I like the LS engines and realize the safe limit on my LS6 is about the same as the stock Honda F20c I have loaded in my s2k. The 2 cars are worlds apart but when I compare the 2 sitting in my garage, I can't stop thinking that one is built robust and the other sloppy - strictly speaking platforms. So when I'm comparing platforms, I think the V1 has more hurdles to overcome and thus drives the price higher for the same whp and reliability. For double the money, yeah I think the V1 comes out a clear winner with all that V8 awesomeness.

I think the V1 and V2 platforms are the best looking 4 door sports cars out there. For $20k in mods, yeah the V1 is untouchable compared with most of the import bolt-ons. To bring the V1 into the same circuit with a bolt-on roots blower, you have wheel hop issues, rear-end worries, and possible axle failure. Those are the same issues that some imports have with the same power at ~500 whp rowing through the gears.

Seriously, I just wish the V1 platform could handle bolt-on power without rear-end/axle worries with a simple bolt-on roots blower. While I'm wishing, perhaps a better shifter that doesn't feel like I'm shifting a 18 wheeler- what a POS design.

#46 ·
Oh see you are talking rwd 4 bangers. I know guys with boosted s2ks with 700hp totally awesome on the track and the road. I love those things... I was thinking fwd. 99% of 4 bangers are fwd. Some great cars are 4 pots with rwd, S2000, miatas, the new BRZ, old Celicas, etc etc but very few people have them in comparison to the standard econo box with a fart can. The big problem with doing mods to anything fwd is that the chassis can't handle the power. My cobalt was MUCH faster than the V I have in every aspect... Handling, straight line, stopping... It was even better than many other cars around at the track that should be faster. I would like to think that was because I was a better driver but I don't think it was. My main reason for the V was because a baby seat wouldn't fit in the cobalt. I wanted something that still had the potential to be fast and was large enough for the kid and all the shit that comes along when we take him anywhere. I would have got an RS4 but they were like $10k more than the V. So I'm working with what I got now. But yea... Money no option I would be driving a BMW m5 but that's not the case lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.