2005 LS6 Magnacharger Build Question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2005 LS6 Magnacharger Build Question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok I have made a decision. Staying stock and have Brute Speed Blower Cam installed with some other supporting mods. ...
    jmsweetv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: 2005 LS6 Magnacharger Build Question

Ok I have made a decision. Staying stock and have Brute Speed Blower Cam installed with some other supporting mods. I run n/a for awhile.
    Parts list:
    Timing Chain Comp 3153KT $118.95
    Push Rods Comp 7955-16 $125.00
    Roller Lifters Comp 8956-16 $545.25
    High Volume Oil Pump Melling 10296 $144.99
    Brute Speed Forced Induction Camshaft Brute Speed Cam $389.99 Dur @ .50 232 int/240exh Lift .595int/.608exh Lobe Sep 115.0
    Valve Spring Kit Comp 26926-16TI-KIT $529.99
    Comp Cams Rocker Arm Trunion Updrage Kit Comp 13702-KIT $129.95
    Kooks Headers 1-7/8 Kooks 6751 $1,011.08 *prefer ARP bolts
    Magnaflow Catback Exhaust Magnaflow 16638 $903.11 *comes with free taylor wires
    Spark Plugs ?
    Spec Stage 2+ SC683H $494.98
    Spec Flywheel SC75S $254.98
    Concentric Hydraulic Release Bearing/Slave Assembly CTS-V 2004-2007 $209.00
    Clutch Master Cylinder CTS-V 2004-2007 $125.00

Brute Speed Tune ? $500.00 ?
    $5,482.27
    Opinions???????

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The 26926 valve springs have a 505-pound rate with 470 pounds of open spring pressure, which is too much for stock rockers (with or without the trunion upgrade kit.) If you like Comp, consider the 26925 - it is good for lifts up to 0.650 inch (the 26926 is good for 0up to .675 inch of lift), which is plenty for the cam you list. The 26925 has a 400-pound spring rate with 405 pounds of open spring pressure which stock rockers can handle.

I have no direct experience with them, but Spec clutches get a lot bad reviews on LS-engine forums.

Ok. Spec is what he carries but is not pushing it. I thought a ls7 clutch would do good for now. So if I uograded to some RR (which i wanted anyway for no particular reason) then the springs would be ok and wouldn't need the trunion upgrade. Total adds up quick!!

The reason for his services is his reputation on LSITECH and he is close. I also like his blower cam sound -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQUGnvQcQY

What rockers would you go with? Harland Sharp?

Thanks again darkman, your help has been much appreciated. I will contribute $$$ to this forum.

Maybe you have a better parts list all together

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

None of the roller rockers that are legitimately rated for springs with 470 pounds of open spring pressure are cheap. The ones I know of are the Crane Gold Race rocker arms (rated to 700 pounds of open spring pressure); Jesel Sportsmans (rated to 900 pounds open spring pressure), and Comp 1500 adjustable rocker (not sure of the spring rating but it is high.)

On the other hand, if you use springs with 410 pounds or less, the Yella Terra Ultra lites are hard to beat.

Well after much thought I finally talked with Texas Speed and Erin really helped me out. Final answer: LS6 2.5 heads, 228r cam 112 lsa, tsp pushrods, ls7 lifters, ls2 timing chain, melling oil pump, FAST 36# inj, Kooks 1 7/8, magnaflow cat back with no cats and x pipe, yella terra 1.7 rockers, ls7 clutch w/ ram alum flywheel, ported ls6 TB.

Probably have Mike Norris due the install and tune.

I should be happy with this for some time. When I need something faster I'll get a ZO6 !! (still keep the caddy as I really think its a cool sedan).

Thanks to all for advice and direction.

Maybe I'll post some numbers when all finished but it will be similar to alot of Vs already on here.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

I really think you have no idea what you want or what you are doing, your build has changed three times in this thread alone. I would take the time to go through this site and others (LS1 Tech has lots of info and builds esp in their engine sections) and see actual builds to gather real world data. Texas speed heads are at the lower end of the spectrum performance wise, but priced right up there with actual performance pieces. They build good motors, but their head programs have always sucked...if you look at how their flow tested and compare them to others you'll see that. Independent testing found TSP to be 40-60 CFM lower than advertised (this was on their stage III 317 heads).

Use the Brain Tooley springs and stock rockers, aftermarket rollers are unnecessary and break often.

It's hard work trying to save people from themselves.
    darkman and darkman like this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Don't forget to throw a couple of bucks in there to have the Magnaflow mated up with the Kooks by your local muffler shop.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Sometimes people need to make their own mistakes

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Going through and re-reading my post I really sound like a dick..my apologies. Not my true intent at all, and I don't direct this at you. It seems that vendors are more than happy to sell you their own products for the simple reason that you called them, not that you will truly benefit from using their particular combination. The LS motors have been around for long enough that there are proven builds without having to spend a ton of coin. Contrary to popular belief, OE parts can be used in place of expensive aftermarket parts when they would not be of any benefit anyhow, so save your money.

One example N/A that would be good for about 415 +/- whp:

- Send your current heads to AI (advanced inductions) for their CNC program: $950
    - BTR Springs/retainers/locks: $220
    - Cam (Martin @ Tick): $395
    - LS2 Timing Chain: $40
    - OE LS1 head gaskets, bolts, etc: $200
    - Push rods: $110
    - OBX 1 7/8" Headers (Kooks clones): $700
    - TPIS Modified LS6 intake for LS2 T. Body: $500 (Or FAST 92 for $900)
    - LS2 90mm T. Body & Harness: $500
    - CAI: $200 (can build your own also)
    - Custom tune: $500

Maggie Build (note: will dyno low 470ish range but will kill on the street b/c of torque):

- Maggie: $6500
    - OBX Headers: $700
    - Cam Motion 220/230 .59x"/58x" @ 116* +4: $400 (a 220/235 would be ideal)
    - LS2 Timing chain: $40
    - Summit OD Crank Pulley: $350
    - Custom Tune: $500

I really think you have no idea what you want or what you are doing, your build has changed three times in this thread alone. I would take the time to go through this site and others (LS1 Tech has lots of info and builds esp in their engine sections) and see actual builds to gather real world data. Texas speed heads are at the lower end of the spectrum performance wise, but priced right up there with actual performance pieces. They build good motors, but their head programs have always sucked...if you look at how their flow tested and compare them to others you'll see that. Independent testing found TSP to be 40-60 CFM lower than advertised (this was on their stage III 317 heads).

Use the Brain Tooley springs and stock rockers, aftermarket rollers are unnecessary and break often.

Thanks for your hard work saving me, I really appreciate that. Since you are obviously smarter than me (as I sit here at work making $57/hr) it makes me laugh that a couple months from now I too will be able to ramble on like the rest of you geniuses (sorry rand49er - you have been really nice). Most motor enthusiast I know when asked "how exactly would you build my motor and with what parts" would give me a nice recipe.
    So, DMM I now know you like to type and insult people through your computer in a public forum how and with what parts would you build my motor with 10k (limited by wife b/c just bought car outright) or would that be too much copy and pasting for you?
    PLEASE save me!!!

I'm gonna steal that build from you and the rest if the LS world. Lol... I woild love to ha 400whp. I'm a little sketched about putting it on an engine with 80-90k miles though.

Going through and re-reading my post I really sound like a dick..my apologies. Not my true intent at all, and I don't direct this at you. It seems that vendors are more than happy to sell you their own products for the simple reason that you called them, not that you will truly benefit from using their particular combination. The LS motors have been around for long enough that there are proven builds without having to spend a ton of coin. Contrary to popular belief, OE parts can be used in place of expensive aftermarket parts when they would not be of any benefit anyhow, so save your money.

- Send your current heads to AI (advanced inductions) for their CNC program: $950

Maggie Build (note: will dyno low 470ish range but will kill on the street b/c of torque):

Apology accepted. Its not the money, its the fun to gather aftermarket parts, look at them in amusement, take to the builder and hopefully be happy with result. Being that this is my first relatively fast car, I want to ease into everything. Thats why I finally chose to go N/A and then MAGGIE or big cubes later. All of this will give me the oppurtunity to learn. As a former motocrosser (quit b/c of knee and neck injuries over 18 years of racing) I still have passion to go fast, just in a straight line and on the ground this time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmsweetv View Post
    Apology accepted. Its not the money, its the fun to gather aftermarket parts, look at them in amusement, take to the builder and hopefully be happy with result. Being that this is my first relatively fast car, I want to ease into everything. Thats why I finally chose to go N/A and then MAGGIE or big cubes later. All of this will give me the oppurtunity to learn. As a former motocrosser (quit b/c of knee and neck injuries over 18 years of racing) I still have passion to go fast, just in a straight line and on the ground this time.
    What kind if bike did you have? I got a husqvarna TC250 right now. Love that stuff but my hip, shoulders, head and countless bones don't.

I am gonna do a NA build for now. There is nothing wrong with building in stages. Figure out what you like and what you would change and then go from there. I'm saving up for it right now. I'm gonna have the motor punched out to a little over 400. Then after a few years I'll put a 2300tvs on it and a new cam and valve train for some more power. 700hp should keep me plenty busy. I love boosted motors, whether its on a turbo 4 banger or a turbo diesel boost is fun.

Oh and don't forget supporting mods like trans, oil, and diff coolers and such. More power means more heat and keeping temps in check is important.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

The thing I like about the FI route is you can take DMM's list minus the cam and the timing chain, and it's mostly a "bolt on" with no dismantling of the heads and reassembly of them. The most cracking open of the motor you have to do is removal of the intake manifold. I did all this in my little ol' suburban garage next to my lawnmower. Besides being an easier install, the results are very satisfying particularly for street driving.

Just a footnote: Lots of different mod "lists" can be assembled by a lot of different guys. Obviously, the trick is putting a list together that contains an efficiently complimentary set with no unneeded components and no omissions while not breaking the bank thus balancing cost, motor longevity, and performance gains. I do not possess the knowledge to judge it, but I do marvel at lists such as DMM's, above. Just being able to throw out a couple of lists like that belies the fact that a ton of reading has gone into their creation. Further, DMM has posted his lists for anyone to throw stones at (as did the OP with "stones" having been thrown). This is all good stuff.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

brngrhd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Do the OBX headers bolt up to borla exhaust with out modification?
    Got a part number on the OD pulley?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.