Sneak peek. - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Sneak peek. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by PISNUOFF No boost-a-pump. Hmm interesting. Might have to give it a go if I can con the ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post

No boost-a-pump.
    Hmm interesting. Might have to give it a go if I can con the old lady into it.

Bewbzout is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): S60R / Impala SS

Re: Sneak peek.

Very cool, will be watching this

PISNUOFF Guest

Ready to drop in tomorrow.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Damn. Can you give us a rundown of what's on that thing? It looks like you've got provisions for an oil cooler or remote oil filter. I have no idea what that extra pulley is, but I assume it's supposed to replace the tensioner that's usually on the driver's side.

Also, how do you plan on handling the initial startup? I've never understood how people get these things started the first time. Everything has to be totally wrong.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Ready to drop in tomorrow.
    Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap fap
    lollygagger8 likes this.

PISNUOFF Guest

I have had an oil cooler on for years. That's a sandwich adapter that opens at 160 degrees. It's been fine with -8AN lines. The cooler has an integral fan that I put on a switch, it can also be setup to turn on and off with a thermostat.

The pulley that replaces the tensioner pulley is for my GZ Motorsports vacuum pump. The pulley that is on the driver side is simply an idler pulley that attaches to the alternator bracket.

The initial startup shouldn't be that bad on this motor since I'm going from a 417 to a 427. The cam is a little different and the intake is different. It should start up just fine and idle ok by itself. I'll tune in the MAF and drive it easy until I can get to a dyno. I have an appointment for August 13 on a dyno.

Can I ask about the purpose of the vacuum pump? I just looked up a couple of vacuum pumps online, but I can't find a good explanation of why it's beneficial (beyond "vacuum = moar power!").

PISNUOFF Guest

Stock PVC system isn't sufficient to create a vacuum inside the crankcase with the stroker motor. The 418 LS3 was creating positive pressure and blowing oil back through the intake tube and filling my catch can every 2-3 days.

Plus..... vacuum = moar powa.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

This has been sweet to watch. Me and my dad are doing a 75 vette with your basic 350 with a few upgrades but this thing is a work of art for sure. This transcends my knowledge by far! Someday I will be here but that is a long time coming!

Kudos for your work so far and all the general knowledge base you provide to the rest of us!

BDV

Stock PVC system isn't sufficient to create a vacuum inside the crankcase with the stroker motor. The 418 LS3 was creating positive pressure and blowing oil back through the intake tube and filling my catch can every 2-3 days.

Plus..... vacuum = moar powa.
    The second part makes the vacuum pump sound like some kind of free energy/perpetual motion machine. What are the downsides or limitations? There must be a reason why we don't see this as a commonplace bolt-on.

By the way, my LS2 has yet to deposit a single drop of oil in my catch can. I checked my hoses to see if I had some kind of blockage, but I could suck air out of the engine no problem.

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

i have to empty my catch can every week. full. can't wait to see startup!!

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post
    This has been sweet to watch. Me and my dad are doing a 75 vette with your basic 350 with a few upgrades but this thing is a work of art for sure. This transcends my knowledge by far! Someday I will be here but that is a long time coming!

Kudos for your work so far and all the general knowledge base you provide to the rest of us!

BDV
    Thanks. I appreciate that. I just finished up a 383 stroker sbc for a buddy. I rebuilt the motor, upgraded to an hydraulic roller camshaft and cleaned up the engine bay. I took a lot of pictures along the way. Hit me up if you want to see them. Most are uploaded to my Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    The second part makes the vacuum pump sound like some kind of free energy/perpetual motion machine. What are the downsides or limitations? There must be a reason why we don't see this as a commonplace bolt-on.

By the way, my LS2 has yet to deposit a single drop of oil in my catch can. I checked my hoses to see if I had some kind of blockage, but I could suck air out of the engine no problem.
    As far as I can see the drawbacks are the cost and having to drain the catchcan often. That's odd that you don't have any oil in yours. I always got at least a little with my LS2.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

I usually empty my catch can during an oil change (it is ususally about 1/4 full) but the internals are bone stock on my V.

PISNUOFF Guest

Finally on the home stretch.

lollygagger8 and HAMSTAR like this.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    Ahhh shit... Very nice you're nearly there!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.