Sneak peek. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Sneak peek. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I seriously doubt an aluminum block would hold up. And an extra $800 for the LSX vs LS3 isn't really ...
    PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Sneak peek.

I seriously doubt an aluminum block would hold up. And an extra $800 for the LSX vs LS3 isn't really that much when compared to the total cost for this thing.

......plus it's orange. Lol
    yooper likes this.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I seriously doubt an aluminum block would hold up. And an extra $800 for the LSx vs LS3 isn't really that much when compared to the total cost for this thing.
    It's more than $800, once you factor in the premium on the rotating assembly. That Dragonslayer probably wasn't cheap.

I've been very much against the LSx because the short block weighs double that of the LS3, but I found a list of fully-assembled crate motor weights that changed my mind. The 427 CID LSx comes in at 520 lbs, versus 415 lbs for the LS3. That's not bad. As far as heads go, I still think the best bang for the buck for forced induction are unported LSA heads, which I have sitting here. They cost me $625 with sodium valves. The alternative would be something crazy like the Mast large bore heads, but at $2800 bare ($4000 assembled), you'd get much more bang for the buck if you put that money into your blower, fueling system, and insulation.

And as far as a blower goes, I think a 3.3L or 4.0L Whipple with a thick phenolic spacer might be in my future, versus a TVS2300 (too small for a 416-427 CID motor). Most of the 2010-2012 Mustang builds that I've read about are making 850-1000 RWHP on 16-22 PSI with the 4.0L. It's hard to see the need for a turbo when you can do this with a supercharger:

That guy drives the way I imagine PISNUOFF drives.

PISNUOFF Guest

The total weight difference is only about 85-95 pounds when all said and done. Plus we were only comparing an LS3/LSA vs the LSX. The difference is only $800 for the LS3, we weren't talking anything about the rest of the motor components. I suppose I could have easily saved a bunch of money by purchasing a Chinese K1 crank and rods and I didn't really have to coat the pistons or bearings either.

I'd much rather have turbos than a supercharger. I really dislike the fact that they run off belts that slip and/or break. Also, I wouldn't think to limit myself to 850-1000 rwHp.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Also, I wouldn't think to limit myself to 850-1000 rwHp.
    We're obviously both in the "more is always better camp," but I feel that 850-1000 RWHP represents the upper-end of the horsepower sweet spot. Once you go further than that, you fall off the "law of diminishing returns" cliff.

Endlessly chasing the power monster is fun, but your time and money is probably better spent on removing weight from the car, improving its handling, improving aerodynamics, and doing the other stuff that make the car a pleasure to drive.

PISNUOFF Guest

Agreed, OVERKILL.

I don't mind having more power than I can put to the ground with my foot all the way on the floor. I'd prefer to pedal than not have enough pedal to push.

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

may I just add, That shelby was damn impressive....second gear shit ur pants...

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Have you installed that Edelbrock cover yet ? Curious if you can still see the alignment dots with the top cover off and how much room it gives you to remove the top sprocket to swap a cam.

PISNUOFF Guest

You cannot see the bottom timing mark, but there is a groove milled in the 'inner' cover that you line up the cam sprocket timing mark with when you remove it and line back up to install it.

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

i remember when i wanted to get that edelbrock cover and it was a stupid idea

PISNUOFF Guest

I don't recall telling you it was a stupid idea. But if you don't plan on swapping your cam than it is really just wasted money. I plan on swapping mine out this fall/winter and I really hate pulling/installing the harmonic balancer.

Orrrrr, maybe I need someone to tell me things are stupid ideas and don't waste the $200.

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

I don't recall telling you it was a stupid idea. But if you don't plan on swapping your cam than it is really just wasted money. I plan on swapping mine out this fall/winter and I really hate pulling/installing the harmonic balancer.

Orrrrr, maybe I need someone to tell me things are stupid ideas and don't waste the $200.
    Won't save from removing the radiator though.

PISNUOFF Guest

Correct, I just HATE the balancer. Even with the bolt holes in the aftermarket ones to use a standard puller instead of a 3-jaw one.

PISNUOFF Guest

My helper installing lifters.

jclayc likes this.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Is that a CB1000R in the background?

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    Is that a CB1000R in the background?
    It's a 636.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.