Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Sneak peek.

21K views 129 replies 31 participants last post by  ahahnu 
G
#1 ·
G
#68 ·
We are going full carbon and eliminating the marcel spring. The marcel spring is the cracked part below that connects the hub with the friction plates below. Removing it will make it less streetable by allowing chatter but I'd rather have one that doesn't break.......as easily.

#69 ·
Facepalm... You break everything... Cant have anything nice around you lol. Like I said in another thread, you're doing it right. Lemme grab my tampon

I kinda figured you were going full on sintered iron racing clutch... But with your luck it would weld itself to the flywheel or something lol. Plus their wear characteristics concerning longevity are less than desirable for street duty

#71 ·
Hey Brian, what are you doing to the fuel system? They are putting E85 pumps at a station a couple blocks away and that pretty much made me was to do forced induction, even if it's just a maggie and tune it for corn. I know you are going to upgrade you fuel system. Gimme the goods, gonna need to flow a considerable amount of fuel for that. Probably 50-60% more than stock

#75 ·
I saw that big 3 thread on ls1 when I was looking up stuff like this. How did it turn out? Good I'm sure, you sounded like you knew what you were talking about for sure. I could hardly follow cuz I'm not an electrical engineer... But to me it was like... Blah blah blah 1/0 welding cable, blah blah blha alternator.... Blah blah blah battery... Blah ground, blah blah blah... Lol.

I just want to know so when I get everything together I can take it to my local shop here and be like do this, this, this and this... I don't have time to work on the car. Between work, the Mrs., and the new baby I'm lucky I got a chance to change the oil sometime in the next few days lol

----------

Stock pump and 52# injectors were fine on my 418. We'll see on the 427 NA. I plan on running dual in-tank Walbro 340's for the turbo setup.
Did you use a BAP on the stock pump with the #52s?

#80 ·
Damn. Can you give us a rundown of what's on that thing? It looks like you've got provisions for an oil cooler or remote oil filter. I have no idea what that extra pulley is, but I assume it's supposed to replace the tensioner that's usually on the driver's side.

Also, how do you plan on handling the initial startup? I've never understood how people get these things started the first time. Everything has to be totally wrong.

G
#82 ·
I have had an oil cooler on for years. That's a sandwich adapter that opens at 160 degrees. It's been fine with -8AN lines. The cooler has an integral fan that I put on a switch, it can also be setup to turn on and off with a thermostat.

The pulley that replaces the tensioner pulley is for my GZ Motorsports vacuum pump. The pulley that is on the driver side is simply an idler pulley that attaches to the alternator bracket.

The initial startup shouldn't be that bad on this motor since I'm going from a 417 to a 427. The cam is a little different and the intake is different. It should start up just fine and idle ok by itself. I'll tune in the MAF and drive it easy until I can get to a dyno. I have an appointment for August 13 on a dyno.

G
#84 ·
Stock PVC system isn't sufficient to create a vacuum inside the crankcase with the stroker motor. The 418 LS3 was creating positive pressure and blowing oil back through the intake tube and filling my catch can every 2-3 days.

Plus..... vacuum = moar powa.

#86 ·
The second part makes the vacuum pump sound like some kind of free energy/perpetual motion machine. What are the downsides or limitations? There must be a reason why we don't see this as a commonplace bolt-on.

By the way, my LS2 has yet to deposit a single drop of oil in my catch can. I checked my hoses to see if I had some kind of blockage, but I could suck air out of the engine no problem.

#85 ·
This has been sweet to watch. Me and my dad are doing a 75 vette with your basic 350 with a few upgrades but this thing is a work of art for sure. This transcends my knowledge by far! Someday I will be here but that is a long time coming!

Kudos for your work so far and all the general knowledge base you provide to the rest of us!

BDV

G
#88 ·
Thanks. I appreciate that. I just finished up a 383 stroker sbc for a buddy. I rebuilt the motor, upgraded to an hydraulic roller camshaft and cleaned up the engine bay. I took a lot of pictures along the way. Hit me up if you want to see them. Most are uploaded to my Facebook page.

The second part makes the vacuum pump sound like some kind of free energy/perpetual motion machine. What are the downsides or limitations? There must be a reason why we don't see this as a commonplace bolt-on.

By the way, my LS2 has yet to deposit a single drop of oil in my catch can. I checked my hoses to see if I had some kind of blockage, but I could suck air out of the engine no problem.
As far as I can see the drawbacks are the cost and having to drain the catchcan often. That's odd that you don't have any oil in yours. I always got at least a little with my LS2.

#93 ·
Tell me this is going to be ready for the Dream Cruise!

G
#94 ·
It'll be at the dreamcruise.

Lollygagger - I didn't replace it. I tried it last night and it wouldn't budge. Plus, the new one I bought is a little bigger. The bigger part didn't concern me because I have an under drive harmonic balancer.

#99 ·
Nice! I did mine with the same thing a while back, but instead of the iron LSX block I used a RHS aluminum LSX block to cut some of the weight, also 11:1 compression. Pondering converting to some sort of FI or Nitrous. Keep the pics coming! One of these days I'll get around to putting mine up.
Good stuff :)

G
#103 ·
That's out of the cutouts just before the mufflers. It's tuned good enough to drive. I'll tune in the MAF and it'll be nearly complete. I have an appointment with a dyno on the 13th for the finishing touches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.