Rear Differential Assembly mods
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By HAMSTAR
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Rear Differential Assembly mods in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Gentlemen, I am replacing my 2005 grenade'd differential assembly (157k miles, 500hp motor0 with an 06-07 unit from Lindsey Cadillac ...
    mrmojo95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cts-v Ls7 Clutch/Fly, Cam, LEDint/ext, side exit exhaust

Rear Differential Assembly mods

Gentlemen, I am replacing my 2005 grenade'd differential assembly (157k miles, 500hp motor0 with an 06-07 unit from Lindsey Cadillac ($1594 shipped). I am also going to do the front pinion support with the BMR U-shaped support to prevent deflection. I already have CS poly Bushings. Is there anything else i should consider while in there? Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Rear Differential Assembly mods

the revshift diff bushing is a better design. go with that, along with the CS diff bushing block. there's not much love for the BMR pinion support brace-- some reports of them causing damage.
    mrmojo95 and mrmojo95 like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yeah, no positive reviews of that BMR brace. I'd ditch that. I have one I bought used YEARS ago, but don't even want to sell it. Not worth messing up someone else's V...

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

[QUOTE=HAMSTAR;3306546]the revshift diff bushing is a better design.

Please explain
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

[QUOTE=MotorMounts;3306650]
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    the revshift diff bushing is a better design.

Please explain
    First, I'm a fan of yours, Max, and someday hope to wind up with one of your 8.8s under your car. The diff block is also excellent. My problem with the diff bushing is the metal sleeve that it sits in. I believe it shrinks with cold weather. I'm running your diff bushing, and cold weather brings back the clunk. It's not as bad as it was with the stock bushing, but it's there. The revshift design is straight poly, with no outer metal sleeve to shrink or expand with temp fluctuations. I could be wrong about this, of course...

[QUOTE=HAMSTAR;3306677]
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post

First, I'm a fan of yours, Max, and someday hope to wind up with one of your 8.8s under your car. The diff block is also excellent. My problem with the diff bushing is the metal sleeve that it sits in. I believe it shrinks with cold weather. I'm running your diff bushing, and cold weather brings back the clunk. It's not as bad as it was with the stock bushing, but it's there. The revshift design is straight poly, with no outer metal sleeve to shrink or expand with temp fluctuations. I could be wrong about this, of course...

No problems here with another mans point of view(as long as it's inline with mine of course, haha) Even in the coldest of weather, the outer steel sleeve of our bushing could not get cold enough to fall out, if it wasn't captured in place by the subframe of course. If, when your current bushing of ours was installed there was even a small amount of force required to push the bushing in to the bore of the diff housing there should be no movement of the bushing in the housing. Now, if the bushing just slid in with no resistance that would be a problem, depending on the amount of clearance, that could cause a clunk. Not saying that you are one of "these guys", but double check the tightness of the bolt that passes through the diff bushing. We have had a few "clunking bushings" that turned out to be the bolt moving up and down in the holes in the subframe ears, due to not being tight enough.
    If you are willing to do the work, I am willing to send you a free bushing and tool to determine where the clunk is coming from and fix it.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

[QUOTE=MotorMounts;3306713]
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post

No problems here with another mans point of view(as long as it's inline with mine of course, haha) Even in the coldest of weather, the outer steel sleeve of our bushing could not get cold enough to fall out, if it wasn't captured in place by the subframe of course. If, when your current bushing of ours was installed there was even a small amount of force required to push the bushing in to the bore of the diff housing there should be no movement of the bushing in the housing. Now, if the bushing just slid in with no resistance that would be a problem, depending on the amount of clearance, that could cause a clunk. Not saying that you are one of "these guys", but double check the tightness of the bolt that passes through the diff bushing. We have had a few "clunking bushings" that turned out to be the bolt moving up and down in the holes in the subframe ears, due to not being tight enough.
    If you are willing to do the work, I am willing to send you a free bushing and tool to determine where the clunk is coming from and fix it.

Interesting. . . I wonder if there is a quality issue with the size of the sleeves??

My rear end clunk is back (not as loud as stock failed bushing) and I recall when I did the CS bushing swap last year that the new CS bushing just slid right in by hand. I didn't need the tool to put it in. I did however need the tool to remove the old stock bushing.

The offer is open to you too, call if you would like a replacement bushing.
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.