Brake Fluid Type??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Brake Fluid Type?? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    Cadispeedster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V, 2003.7 Mazdaspeed Protege, 08 Honda CBR1000RR

Brake Fluid Type??

Got some fancy Goodridge steel braided brake lines. Looking forward to the install... but...

What type brake fluid to use???

from owners manual: page 6-13
    Hydraulic Brake System
    DelcoŽ Supreme 11 Brake Fluid or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid.

So it says to use a dot-3 fluid, but in the auto part store the only thing that comes up in the system is a dot-3&4 brake fluid which is a synthetic Valvoline brand...???

Help? Don't want any brake issues...

And will this mean I'll need to drain the whole system to replace the old fluid if this stuff is okay to put in?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Brake Fluid Type??

GM changed to DOT 4 with either the 2006 or 2007 model year. In any event DOT 4 is completely compatible with DOT 3 and is better. Most auto parts stores will have a good high temperature DOT 4. Valvoline brake fluids have a good reputation.

It's a dot-3&4 synthetic... So I guess I'll have to bleed all fluid out and replace it... slowly to not get a bubble in the ABS

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

There's absolutely no need to "bleed all fluid out and replace it." The Valvoline fluid is, as its name clearly states, compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4, thus it is compatible with what is already in your car.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cadispeedster View Post
    It's a dot-3&4 synthetic... So I guess I'll have to bleed all fluid out and replace it... slowly to not get a bubble in the ABS
    Not necessarily - DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT3 &4 are completely compatible, so having residue from your pre-existing fluid will create no problems.

(DOT 5 is silicone based and does require the complete removal of previously used non-silicone fluids.)

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Upgraded lines i would do motul rbf600 or 660. Not that bad of a price for the much better performance. Overkill? Maybe for some but it doesn't break the bank.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I will be using race brake fluid from Castrol SRF, its the same price as Dot 5.1 but higher temp tolerances

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Nevermind. Mind borked.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

DrSpeed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I cycle between Super ATE Blue and RBF 600. Performance is comparable for track days. Nice part is when you're flushing the system, you can tell when all the old stuff is out with the color change from blue to clear and vice versa.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by DrSpeed View Post
    I cycle between Super ATE Blue and RBF 600. Performance is comparable for track days. Nice part is when you're flushing the system, you can tell when all the old stuff is out with the color change from blue to clear and vice versa.
    Same here. Makes it easy to do a full flush. Also the ATE has really good *WET* performance. In a nutshell unless you are swapping your fluid often, it will get water into it, which degrades the performance (lowers the boiling point). Also the ATE is not very expensive. I couldn't see using Motul on a street car.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    Same here. Makes it easy to do a full flush. Also the ATE has really good *WET* performance. In a nutshell unless you are swapping your fluid often, it will get water into it, which degrades the performance (lowers the boiling point). Also the ATE is not very expensive. I couldn't see using Motul on a street car.

-Chris
    I could. Once a year, it's not that expensive.
    odla and odla like this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

JazMiller is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Redline

I've only done 2 of the lines on my V, the rear passenger side that has the brake line and the return line to the driver's side. I would rather pull the axles again, twice, than work on the damn brake lines. Not sure that I'm going to finish it, might even take it in to a shop to have them finish the remaining 3 corners upgrade to stainless lines. I cursed a lot at those lock washers holding the lines to the frame....

Use flare nut wrenches for those brake line nuts.

Don't let me poo poo on the fun ahead, ... Good luck with your install! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JazMiller View Post
    I've only done 2 of the lines on my V, the rear passenger side that has the brake line and the return line to the driver's side. I would rather pull the axles again, twice, than work on the damn brake lines. Not sure that I'm going to finish it, might even take it in to a shop to have them finish the remaining 3 corners upgrade to stainless lines. I cursed a lot at those lock washers holding the lines to the frame....

Use flare nut wrenches for those brake line nuts.

Don't let me poo poo on the fun ahead, ... Good luck with your install! :-)
    I did the rears first... Came off no issue. Too bad ya live in canada, I'd say bring the car on over...

Used this technique (and yes, with flare nuts of course):
    IMG_2501.jpg

How to:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...tallation.html
    Easy peasy!

And don't forget...

Proper Bleeding Order:

1. Passenger Rear – INNER * Inner first due to the caliper inlet being on the outside

2. Passenger Rear - OUTER

3. Driver Rear - INNER

4. Driver Rear - OUTER

5. Passenger Front - INNER

6. Passenger Front - OUTER

7. Driver Front - INNER

8. Driver Front - OUTER

DrSpeed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hey, I recognize that post.

I cheated, and couldn't find my flare wrenches. Didn't strip anything. Car still stops on a dime.

Checked a week later - no drips.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

To the OP, you'll be fine using the Valvoline 3/4. And, no need to flush the old completely. It's compatible.

I use ATE Type 200 in my V since I track my cars. I've used Motul RBF600 as well in other cars, but it doesn't seem to last as in duration.

I also use GM Brake and Clutch fluid in my clutch. It's "Super DOT4". PN is 88958860. 250 ml bottles at about $5 and works great for frequent flushes and keeping to using fresher new bottles. My research finds that it's rebottled Pentosin race fluid. I'm wondering if it truly is and then would therefore be suitable for brake fluid for the track.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.