Please help....8.8 install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Shark city V
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Please help....8.8 install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok I need help. I installed the 8.8 diff in my cts-v today and went to put the axles in ...
    Rwaddy420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v, 94 vw corrado, 96 jeep xj w/8in lift, and more

Please help....8.8 install

Ok I need help. I installed the 8.8 diff in my cts-v today and went to put the axles in and they will not clip in. I put the rear diff together myself using a stock carrier from a explorer with 31 spine spider gears. Is the irs spider gears the same as a solid rear? I've looked on the internet and they appear the same and does not state any difference. Please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Shark city V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac cts v

Re: Please help....8.8 install

If im not mistaken They're not the same IRS vs solid. I believe on the IRS style spider gears the cv axle clips into a grove machined on the inside of the gear where the splines are at. The solid axle has c clips and they rest face of the spider gear ( if that makes sense)

Rwaddy420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v, 94 vw corrado, 96 jeep xj w/8in lift, and more

That makes sense. Any ideas where I can find a set. I've been looking and can only find 28 spline IRS spider gears.

I believe cobra IRS diffs came with 31 spline. If the diff you have in the explorer is a locking style they should work.

Google: LRS 4215 B spider gears. Might be What you need.

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

The 31 spline carrier from the solid axel to IRS are the same! They are no different.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

I thought I replied to this thread yesterday but I don't see my post so.....

I thought that all 31 spline carriers are the same as far as fitment goes too, I have looked at several sites and none of them reference a different carrier for a solid axle and IRS rear ends. If they were different there would be different part numbers for each or some other designation. They are the same. If your axle is not locking in, but slides in far enough that the CV is about a 1/4" from the axle seal in the housing, take a screw driver and SLIGHTLY stretch the retaining ring, re-install axle. Repeat process until axle snaps in.

Hope this helps,

CREATIVE STEEL TECH TEAM, haha
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

I found these pics on a ford forum.
    Attached Images
    MotorMounts and MotorMounts like this.

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Well, did not know that. Good find sir. Sucks, as now I feel I must change my spider gears in my brand new 8.8, but at least that can be done with out removing the carrier and disturbing the diff setup.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Very well done Shark city V, that's great info for all interested in doing a partial kit 8.8. That's one less mystery on what will work and what won't(without modification), check your PMs
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Lol. I've worked on 8.8, 9", and Dana's for a long time. Could not remember for the life of me wat the actual difference was. Never paid close attention. I looked in my old parts bin and couldnt find irs gears. But I did know there was different part numbers and alot of superceeded parts from year to year. I'm sure you can get the axles to lock in sometimes with the solid axle gears but it will be a pain to get them off. If they do come out, the clip is mostly popping off inside the diff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.