Cam and header install- Down on power... Intake Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Skidmarcx
  • 4 Post By trukk
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Cam and header install- Down on power... Intake Question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys. I had my Kooks and comp cam installed a few days ago, along with a street/dyno tune yesterday. ...
    EnV
    EnV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Cam and header install- Down on power... Intake Question

Hey guys. I had my Kooks and comp cam installed a few days ago, along with a street/dyno tune yesterday. My tuner told me that because the Volant intake is so restrictive, the car is pulling -7 KPA, which is resulting in a pretty big power loss. Around 20whp is being left on the table.

The car has a Volant intake, kooks headers w/ no cats, magnaflow exhaust and x-pipes, and a comp cam 235/241 .614 .614 111+2, and it put down 390/350. Any ideas? Which intake will be the least restrictive? I know they are all pretty much the same design (no vararam style intake) but I was wondering if I just made my own intake with a larger elbow if that would help me out a bit. I don't have the dyno graph with me but I will upload it when I get a chance. Before anyone blames the tuner, the tune is great and he is the top tuner in the valley. Any input is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Cam and header install- Down on power... Intake Question

The tuner's conclusion may be essentially correct, but I think he is likely blaming the wrong component. If you are still using the stock 78mm throttle body, it is more restrictive than the Volant Intake (or the box stock intake for that matter).

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

My maggie is pulling through the OEM air box with the Magnuson elbow and is not restricting my motor, so I can't imagine your Volant is the issue.

Hate to say it, but you may need another tuner.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    Glad you got your stuff installed! And if his tuner is who I think it is he most likely isn't wrong... NA is a different story when it comes to intakes... I agree on getting a larger TB along with a larger filter
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

EnV

Thanks for the input, guys. I may have a local shop fab me up something for an over the radiator intake and see how that helps.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by EnV View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. I may have a local shop fab me up something for an over the radiator intake and see how that helps.
    If you figure that out, take l lots of pics and let us know how you do it. There'd be a lot of interest in that.

EnV

It has been done before. There are a few threads on it. 'OTRCAI CTS-V'

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

PAUSE PLZ

What is the filter you are running on your volant CAI? Is it the powercore? or cotton type?

I ran 425rwhp and 400rwlbft through the volant intake tube and LPE cai filter...

When i upgraded to a 6.8 i ran the volant powercore filter and i couldnt get my hp over 450, and i was leaning out at the top...I removed the filter and my power jumped to 540rwhp. I used a KN filter and my power dropped to 536rwhp and 505rwlbft...I was running a 4" intake tube setup

EnV

Thanks for the info. I may look into a K&N filter. Mine could possibly just be dirty, I haven't checked it recently. I doubt that is my problem though. Ill keep looking into it.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Don't forget to grind the welds on that filter.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.