Does my V need to be tuned?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Does my V need to be tuned? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So since I got my 05 V if done a couple basic mods and I'm wondering if I really need ...
    H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v

Does my V need to be tuned?

So since I got my 05 V if done a couple basic mods and I'm wondering if I really need to get it tuned or will it just be a waste of money since my car is still very much stock.

Mods include (k&n intake, magnaflow cat-back, and ls7 clutch kit). The car deff drives a lot different/better from when I first got it.

I guess I'm just wondering how much a good tune would affect/improve my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Does my V need to be tuned?

Well, you're not putting it in any danger. Those mods aren't going to increase airflow any more than your computer can handle (I think it can thow up to 20% more fuel at it, but not more). And if you can drive the car OK with the lighter flywheel, then you're fine (some very light flywheels require an adjustment in idle speed). If you do headers though, then you'll need a tune.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

While I agree with Hamster's post, I would also say that a good tune would likely gain some horsepower and increased fuel economy. Whether those improvements would justify the expense for you is pretty much a personal choice but the horsepower per dollar ratio is not bad compared to other mods. Finally, many good tuners will modify your tune for almost nothing to incorporate future mods once you have purchased a baseline tune from them.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    While I agree with Hamster's post, I would also say that a good tune would likely gain some horsepower and increased fuel economy. Whether those improvements would justify the expense for you is pretty much a personal choice but the horsepower per dollar ratio is not bad compared to other mods. Finally, many good tuners will modify your tune for almost nothing to incorporate future mods once you have purchased a baseline tune from them.
    HamSTAR
    alradco, alradco, FoD and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    HamSTAR
    I am not illiterate, I just can't read.

What kinda HP gains do you think I could get from a tune. Is 20+ HP too much to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    What kinda HP gains do you think I could get from a tune. Is 20+ HP too much to expect?
    Based on my experience I think 20 is a realistic expectation together with 2 mpg during highway driving. Since a few more ponies often encourages spirited driving the added mpg may not show up right away.

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR
    Well, you're not putting it in any danger. Those mods aren't going to increase airflow any more than your computer can handle (I think it can thow up to 20% more fuel at it, but not more). And if you can drive the car OK with the lighter flywheel, then you're fine (some very light flywheels require an adjustment in idle speed). If you do headers though, then you'll need a tune.
    Sometimes when I come to a sudden stop while in neutral the rpms will drop down to like 400 the car kinda hiccups then goes back to a normal ideal. Could an adjustment to idle speed fix that?

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I would do it. It may not be a huge gain right off the bat but at least you'll have a baseline and know that the car is tuned properly.

Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    Sometimes when I come to a sudden stop while in neutral the rpms will drop down to like 400 the car kinda hiccups then goes back to a normal ideal. Could an adjustment to idle speed fix that?
    Yes. Although I am not a tuner, and not qualified to explain the details, my tuner discovered that under the circumstances you describe the stock tune momentarily pulls all the timing advance. In my case, that feature did not cause the engine to stall until my last set of modifications (heads, FAST 102 Intake added to light flywheel & cam setup).
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

I had very similar mods to yours minus the clutch and flywheel mod, and I had mine tuned and did notice a nicegain across the board with performance and fuel mileage. I think it is more about making everything work together with better and tight tolerences. It would not be a waste of your time to do it and like Darkman said the good tuners will charge less fees for future mods if they already have your files and tunes and just have to make minor changes.

BDV

Thanks for all the advice and info, I figured it wouldn't be a compleat waste of money. I do plan todo further mods in the future I just can't say when I'll have the funds/time/help...etc. so it's good to know a retune is much cheaper.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Keep in mind to prep your car before taking it down there. Know what kind of spark plugs you have, pull them out clean them and record the gap. Get a full tank of gas.

If you've never witnessed a tuning session, go to one first to see what to expect. I take pics and video of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine
    Keep in mind to prep your car before taking it down there. Know what kind of spark plugs you have, pull them out clean them and record the gap. Get a full tank of gas.

If you've never witnessed a tuning session, go to one first to see what to expect. I take pics and video of mine.
    I've been through the tuning process once on my 06 Nissan Titan, it had LT headers full exhaust and some other bolt ons. This is just my first time dealing with a modded LSX motor.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

You don't need one, you're not hurting anything.

The factory leaves these motors on the rich side and therefore there is a few ponies left on the table without any mods. That said, what you will partially gain from a tune with your mods is from what GM left there. Your mods will help with area under the curve. You'll probably see about +15-20whp and +1-2 mpg. Cost is in the $300-500 and tuners generally discount future tunes. I waited until I got headers to tune it.

Where are you located? I'm sure someone can recommend a tuner.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.