Ls7 cam swap?? Should I??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Ls7 cam swap?? Should I?? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I've owned my 05 V for about six months now and I absolutely love it. I've already done some ...
    H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v

Ls7 cam swap?? Should I??

So I've owned my 05 V for about six months now and I absolutely love it. I've already done some basic mods(ls7 clutch, magnaflow cat-back, k&n and trans insert). I plan todo revshift MM and bushings this summer

Unfortunately I cannot install headers or make my car too loud cuz I basically live in a old folks condo unit and they will simply make my life hell if I annoy them with another loud ass exhaust(I previously had LT's on my 06 Titan).

OK onto the cam... I have a stock ls7 cam laying around and I'm wondering what kinda HP gains it would give me with just my current bolt ons? Basically how would this setup workout and will it still be sorta quite without headers?

My only goal is to get a little more sound and a couple more HP.

Thanks an advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Ls7 cam swap?? Should I??

You would need springs and new rockers, not to mention you would have to check for piston to valve clearance...Get the GT11 cam from LPE. i know it fits in the LS6 with 1.7 rockers. But you still need to swap out the valve springs...

FYI if you install headers on stock exhaust its not loud...Just dont mess with the resonator and mufflers...

----------

You would need springs and new rockers, not to mention you would have to check for piston to valve clearance...Get the GT11 cam from LPE. i know it fits in the LS6 with 1.7 rockers. But you still need to swap out the valve springs...

FYI if you install headers on stock exhaust its not loud...Just dont mess with the resonator and mufflers...

PISNUOFF Guest

You wouldn't need new rockers. But the cam sensor is not at the rear of the shaft. You would need an ls2 cam sprocket, timing cover, cam sensor and an extension harness. The ls7 cam is designed for rectangular port heads that flow a ton more than your 243's and have much larger valves. I doubt you'd see any gains, if anything they'd be minimal. Here are the cam specs with 1.7 rockers

211/230, .560/.557 120+4LSA

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    Thanks for the help guys. I highly doubted a free cam would actually workout.

I guess I'll just use it as a wall hanger.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Don't know why everyone condemned this, you'll make a pretty noticeable gain with the LS7. It's almost the exact same as the LS9 only the Z06 uses 1.8 rockers vice 1.7. You will need an LS2 front cover and a new cam gear, then extend the cam sensor harness to the front cover swapping both outer wires.

Cathedral port heads make more power with exhaust biased cams just as with the rectangular port heads, so no worries there. The LS7 cam is installed 3* advanced so you won't really notice the LSA difference (120 vs 117 for the LS6).

Haters gonna hate.

PISNUOFF Guest

Put 1.8's on your stock cam and you won't be giving up much rwHp to the LS7 cam. I'm not hating, I'm just saying it's not worth the $300 savings by not purchasing a better cam. The entire point of his question was that he got it for free and wanted more power on the cheap. Buying 1.8's and springs puts the mod way past cheap so you might as well add the $300 for a cam.

Naf

You cloud cheat and buy a LS9 cam. It still makes decent power in a NA, and its 98% just like the LS7 cam but at half the cost new...

Naf

You can have headers on stock catback and have gain but no noise...I had that on my caddy with SW headers and stock catback. You head a little bit of noise from the engine side, like its a sewing machine, but thats what everyone says...

You just have to bring your fabricator the good import beer rather than the cheap stuff...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.