Mod progression/route? (for track/street)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mod progression/route? (for track/street) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Looking for some direction on slowly increasing the handling on my daily but don't want to go overboard that it ...
    mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

Looking for some direction on slowly increasing the handling on my daily but don't want to go overboard that it becomes undrivable under normal street conditions (typical city bumpy rutted roads, etc). I have no real plans on adding power but that's not out of the question. No plans on drag racing so the most I'm looking at is possibly an axle upgrade to reduce wheelhop and not a 8.8/9 conversion. Key thing I want is better handling and braking and in the next year or so, go to some track schools/days.

Little background: Car: 05 36K mi. Katech shifter, CAGS delete, SRP pedals. Me: Been to the track and club raced motorcycles for roughly 5-6yrs on a (somewhat) competitive level finishing top 10 in my class regularly so the tracks I'm planning on going to, I am already familiar with.

These are the parts I plan to go with but still in research phase and it'll be an as funds allow build. Not looking to do all these prior to going to the track

Sways? Addco?
    Suspension? KW V3? *bought V3*
    Brakes (pad/rotor)?
    Wheels/Tires (sizes)?
    Bushings? Revshift?
    Radiator/tstat upgrade? Alradco/? ?
    P/S or Oil cooler?
    Axles? gforce?
    Anything else?

I'm not really a "car guy" so I'm betting I forgot something or just don't know about it but ask me almost anything on motorcycles and how to make them perform better in different ways and I can talk for days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Mod progression/route? (for track/street)

Your first steps should be aimed at replacing the three weak points of the V1:

1. Stock clutch and shifter slop
    2. Drivetrain mounts and subframe bushings
    3. High center of gravity and mediocre suspension

You already have the Katech shifter (which I have too), but there are a plethora of additional shifter linkage mods (beyond the basic Creative Steel / UUC bushings) that will further shore up the shifter's performance. You're going to need to source the necessary parts from a couple of different places, including Brian (PISNUOFF) and Home Depot. Read through this thread on LS1Tech, paying special attention to Cadzilla's posts and pictures.

The second thing that you need to upgrade is the stock clutch. The easiest and cheapest route is to pick up an LS7 clutch kit from F1 Racing on eBay ($550-650, depending on your power needs), but you'll also want to procure a remote bleeder line and a Motive Power Bleeder to allow you to quickly and effectively bleed your clutch periodically. If you're planning on a major motor/blower upgrade in the future, or you just want a nicer twin-disc clutch, consider the McLeod RST (organic) or RXT (ceramic).

As far as bushings and mounts go, Revshift is your one stop shop. Get the Revshift 80A (blue) motor mounts, the Revshift transmission insert (only one hardness offered--80A), and their red (95A) bushings for everything else--trailing arms, control arms, differential, and subframe.

When it comes to suspension upgrades, you have a surprisingly large number of options. From personal experience, I would immediately bite the bullet and buy a set of KW Variant 3's. They cost $1950 including shipping if you know where to shop. If you absolutely can't handle the price, you could try a set of d2/K-Sport coilovers ($900) or the Ground Control coilover kit ($500), but if you're an aggressive driver, you'll ultimately wind up upgrading to the KW V3s or LG Motorsports Penskes ($3000). In all three cases, plan on spending about $400 extra to buy adjustable end links (not PowerGrid ones--these) and a stiffer set of springs.

With regards to sway bars, the no-brainer upgrade is the Hotchkis 2280 kit ($425). If you don't mind adding some weight, the solid-core Addco set is even stiffer, and slightly less expensive ($350), but it's three times as heavy.
    Andringa, Andringa, mackey and 1 others like this.

I'll look into that thank you. The clutch seems solid but sloppy if that makes sense. I guess those additional bushing changes will cure much if not all of that sloppy feeling.

I didn't see the penske's available on the LGM site. out of production? I don't mind paying more for better suspension (i've had penske as well as ohlins) as that's the key to good handling and the biggest upgrades for bikes that most people don't take into account.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Dude you're considering Penskes??? Holy moly that's pure track stuff. A good street/track is what Fuzzy recommended KW V3. I use these on my fun cars and adjust the settings depending on the event - reset afterwards for daily driving.

Man, I learned something here, that is a excellent link to the shifter Fuzzy gave - I'm going to tear mine apart and rebuild.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

What's your budget? I ask because you could be in the poor house really quickly around here. Oh, you'd have a great handling car, but do you really want to be eating Mac 'n Cheese for the next five years?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

having had a taste of good suspension in the past, penskes are not out of the question assuming theyre available. id rather buy once cry once if you know what i mean

that being said, it wont be right away and i dont plan to do it all at once. ive raced so i definitely know what its like to be poor "the only way to make a small fortune in racing is start with a large fortune"

id rather throw money at suspension than say a S/C or motor work. not to say that may or may not happen after but suspension/handling first.

how easy/difficult is it setting the V3s from street to track and visa versa?

The fronts are easy, just pop the hood and insert the allen key and give it a turn to adjust the rebound. You have to pull the seats to get to the rears but same thing...just insert the allen and adjust. You can feel the clicks so just count. Adjusting the bump/compression, you have to pull a wheel off and adjust, just give small turns and you can see the numbers line up.

So...a full adjustment 1hr or less. I usually just adjust the rebound for the front and rear -15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    The fronts are easy, just pop the hood and insert the allen key and give it a turn to adjust the rebound. You have to pull the seats to get to the rears but same thing...just insert the allen and adjust. You can feel the clicks so just count. Adjusting the bump/compression, you have to pull a wheel off and adjust, just give small turns and you can see the numbers line up.

So...a full adjustment 1hr or less. I usually just adjust the rebound for the front and rear -15 minutes.
    That assumes that you removed the front shock tower strut.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    That assumes that you removed the front shock tower strut.
    You can remove the shock tower strut for a lot of things but...not for adjusting the front K-dubs.

Take a look at the picture. The purple thing is the allen tool. The thing in my hand is the cap I removed (1.2 second removal) to reveal the tip of the dampener. Give that purple thing a turn to get the setting you want.

You can remove the shock tower strut for a lot of things but...not for adjusting the front K-dubs.

Take a look at the picture. The purple thing is the allen tool. The thing in my hand is the cap I removed (1.2 second removal) to reveal the tip of the dampener. Give that purple thing a turn to get the setting you want.
    Ah. The 2004-2005 design doesn't cover up that cap. If you have a 2006-2007, you have to remove the shock tower to even see it.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

The LG Motorsports coilovers are still available you just have to call them. I'll post more of my own experiences when I get in front of an actual keyboard.

I've been putting together a complete list of mods that I've done on my V which helps me in replying here. Often I forget which mods I have...

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    Little background: Car: 05 36K mi. Katech shifter, CAGS delete, SRP pedals. Me: Been to the track and club raced motorcycles for roughly 5-6yrs on a (somewhat) competitive level finishing top 10 in my class regularly so the tracks I'm planning on going to, I am already familiar with.

These are the parts I plan to go with but still in research phase and it'll be an as funds allow build. Not looking to do all these prior to going to the track

Sways? Addco?
    Suspension? KW V3?
    Brakes (pad/rotor)?
    Wheels/Tires (sizes)?
    Bushings? Revshift?
    Radiator/tstat upgrade? Alradco/? ?
    P/S or Oil cooler?
    Axles? gforce?
    Anything else?
    Your car has significantly less miles that mine does now and even what it had when I started tracking it. That said, even with 30+ track days and 115 miles, many of the stock components were doing well. For the parts you've mentioned I've gone with the following:
    Sways: Hotchkis (FuzzyLogic has a lot more first hand experience here though. I've only had these and stock and have yet to have them on the track yet)
    Shocks/Springs: LG Motorsports (Beyond the nice Penske shocks and Hyperco springs, these have some nice features like the bearing upper and lower mounts, true coilover in the rear, etc. I have a few pictures in my thread over on LS1Tech)
    Brakes: I have been running the UUC 2-piece rotors up front for quite a while and really liked them. At first with street tires I was using HP+ on the street and track with street tires, but then went to DTC-70s with R comps. Recently switched to HPS for the street though, since I didn't need a dual purpose pad. That said, I'm in the process of switching to the V2 setup. Probably with DTC-60s (track) and HPS (street) again.
    Wheels/Tires: Team Dynamics track/Stock on the street. Tires, I've gone through quite a few different ones (V700, R6, etc). 275/35/18s fit on all four corners.
    Bushings: I have the UUC engine/trans/shifter/diff as they were the only ones available for awhile. I've picked up the others from RevShift but don't have them installed yet. Regardless, cheap and should be a good mod.
    Radiator: I have the Ron Davis unit. If you go this route, don't get the integrated oil cooler as it is unusable.
    P/S: There's a good writeup around on how to throw an upgraded unit in the stock location. I have a pretty big Fluidyne unit. Do this mod as it is cheap and I used to boil the PS fluid everytime out on the track. Oil cooler is in the future for me. Check the stickied thread on some more info.
    Axles: No personal experience. I'm going with the 9" kit (sitting on my bedroom floor, uninstalled)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Your first steps should be aimed at replacing the three weak points of the V1:

1. Stock clutch and shifter slop
    2. Drivetrain mounts and subframe bushings
    3. High center of gravity and mediocre suspension
    Good info here. I have the Katech LS9 setup. Drives like stock, but is smoother and revs noticeably quicker.

Dude you're considering Penskes??? Holy moly that's pure track stuff. A good street/track is what Fuzzy recommended KW V3. I use these on my fun cars and adjust the settings depending on the event - reset afterwards for daily driving.

Man, I learned something here, that is a excellent link to the shifter Fuzzy gave - I'm going to tear mine apart and rebuild.
    I haven't been able to drive on the Penskes much yet (still need to adjust ride height and get an allignment) but they ride great on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    P/S: There's a good writeup around on how to throw an upgraded unit in the stock location. I have a pretty big Fluidyne unit. Do this mod as it is cheap and I used to boil the PS fluid everytime out on the track.
    Oh I have this problem! I carry a bottle of PS fluid with me to the track. Haven't researched that one but what is the ballpark cost?

Oh I have this problem! I carry a bottle of PS fluid with me to the track. Haven't researched that one but what is the ballpark cost?
    I want to say the unit I have was around $80 maybe even a bit less. The only added cost is refilling with the fluid of your choice (I use Amsoil). Better to do it sooner rather than later. I eventually had my PS pump go out. I also had to replace the rack, but I can't be positive that was related. Oh and I had to replace an alternator too. That was my own stupidity though. Drain the fluid before you replace a PS pump...

Regarding the KW V3...here is a link to the install I wrote up:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0G2...it?usp=sharing

The installation is straight forward for the handy ones...this might give the OP a little more information on the product.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.