Mod progression/route? (for track/street) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mod progression/route? (for track/street) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My first guess is sway bar bushings, or the collars....
    JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    My first guess is sway bar bushings, or the collars.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Mod progression/route? (for track/street)

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    My first guess is sway bar bushings, or the collars.
    My first thought was that he might've failed to sufficiently torque the shock top nuts with the wheels down.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Fuzzy i was puttin on my LG's and my stock 100k mile end link came apart in my hand...i just ordered a set of the Miata ones you mentioned

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    P/S: There's a good writeup around on how to throw an upgraded unit in the stock location. I have a pretty big Fluidyne unit. Do this mod as it is cheap and I used to boil the PS fluid everytime out on the track. Oil cooler is in the future for me. Check the stickied thread on some more info.
    Axles: No personal experience. I'm going with the 9" kit (sitting on my bedroom floor, uninstalled)
    Your inbox is full tried to PM you! Anyways I figured I would ask how much track time you have on the PS cooler? Mine exploded after 4 HPDE sessions at Laguna Seca on Sunday. I'm concern this cooler really may not be adequate, either that or I got a faulty one.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    Your inbox is full tried to PM you! Anyways I figured I would ask how much track time you have on the PS cooler? Mine exploded after 4 HPDE sessions at Laguna Seca on Sunday. I'm concern this cooler really may not be adequate, either that or I got a faulty one.
    Do you have pictures of how it failed.

Anybody have any idea what kind of pressures the Power Steering system can generate?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The power steering pump specification in the Service Manual (pressure relief) is 1,640 to 1,740 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    Do you have pictures of how it failed.

Anybody have any idea what kind of pressures the Power Steering system can generate?
    Its not visible but you can just see the bottom portion of the cooler drenched in PS fluid as well as the underside of my car. There is no fluid anywhere upstream of the cooler either.

I will probably be switching to a cooler like this:

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    I cannot imagine the PS system is carrying 1700psi. That seems extremely high
    Well that is the specification. Since it is the "relief" spec it likely contemplates "spikes." For the purposes intended here, I suspect all we really need to know is that power steering systems operate with at pounds of pressure in the hundreds and therefore, are high-pressure as opposed to low pressure systems.

Finally, the pressure ratings are at the output side of the pump (pressurized-line) and not at the return-line side where the pressure would presumably be substantially reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Well that is the specification. Since it is the "relief" spec it likely contemplates "spikes." For the purposes intended here, I suspect all we really need to know is that power steering systems operate with at pounds of pressure in the hundreds and therefore, are high-pressure as opposed to low pressure systems.

Finally, the pressure ratings are at the output side of the pump (pressurized-line) and not at the return-line side where the pressure would presumably be substantially reduced.
    I guess I'm just suprised this system runs at such high pressures. Knowing this now I don't think the faq recommended cooler is adequate for such pressures which is likely why I had an issue.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I thought that others had tracked their car with the one in the faq. No? I will be holding off on this now. Thanks onefastv.

Quote Originally Posted by odla View Post
    I thought that others had tracked their car with the one in the faq. No? I will be holding off on this now. Thanks onefastv.
    That's what I am trying to find out. It may just be a one off failure but I haven't heard anyone else's track experience with it.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

The PS cooler should basically be at ambient, since it's in the return line to the reservoir and the reservoir is vented to atmosphere.

I, too, would be interested in seeing pics of the failed cooler, but I have to think it was just a faulty cooler. There are tons of OEM PS coolers on all sorts of vehicles and none of them are anything special / heavy duty.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Is the hose routing on the power steering important? I would not think so but wanted to confirm.

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Yup! Waitin for pics before i do this to my V!

Here is what the cooler looks like now. you can see the area where oil has soaked the cooler but there is no apparent gross leak, it is definitely a fine leak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.