Revshift - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree19Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Revshift in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Fuzzy must have been picked on as a child but i can tell he never gave in.. the guy that ...
    vOwnR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

Re: Revshift

Fuzzy must have been picked on as a child but i can tell he never gave in.. the guy that can read the instructions but cant torque a bolt.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by vOwnR View Post
    Fuzzy must have been picked on as a child but i can tell he never gave in.. the guy that can read the instructions but cant torque a bolt.
    You in OK?

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Honestly dude, just let it go. Fuzzy has said the same or worse to most other people on here. On the other hand, he is intelligent and dedicated to perfecting this car. We all benefit. Sit back, learn, and ignore the noise.

philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    The Revshift coupler installation instructions (posted all over their website) indicate that driveshaft misalignment should not exceed 0.020". If you did not have the intention of or ability to precisely shim your transmission to achieve that tolerance, you should have never purchased the coupler.

Straight up: follow Revshift's instructions. You're not going to find a magical alternative that permits you to run a solid coupler with a massively misaligned drivetrain. I can't comprehend why you failed to follow the instructions--Revshift is not trying to make things artificially difficult for you to install their product. It's in their best interest for your installation to succeed.
    I know this thread got derailed but...Fuzzy is right. That is a tight alignment. I have performed countless shaft alignments using double dial and laser and 0.020" is more than just eyeball'n it. Depending on how misaligned your drivetrain is...could be 1-2 hrs getting it just right. I've always used stainless steel shims and never sandwich more than 3 because they will compress and throw off your readings - just up the size. I just saw an older post where good advice was given on possible misalignment due to MM & transmission mounts. The Revshift mounts will stiffen those areas whether on a lift or on the ground - basically solid and eliminates deviation in driving conditions. Then you can start shimming to align your solid coupler.

This is not a simple DIY when you have to precisely align a shaft - constant remeasuring and a lot of patience to get it done correctly. It involves offset as well as angularity measurements - helps to know simple geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You in OK?
    Yea I am in OK

----------

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    I know this thread got derailed but...Fuzzy is right. That is a tight alignment. I have performed countless shaft alignments using double dial and laser and 0.020" is more than just eyeball'n it. Depending on how misaligned your drivetrain is...could be 1-2 hrs getting it just right. I've always used stainless steel shims and never sandwich more than 3 because they will compress and throw off your readings - just up the size. I just saw an older post where good advice was given on possible misalignment due to MM & transmission mounts. The Revshift mounts will stiffen those areas whether on a lift or on the ground - basically solid and eliminates deviation in driving conditions. Then you can start shimming to align your solid coupler.

This is not a simple DIY when you have to precisely align a shaft - constant remeasuring and a lot of patience to get it done correctly. It involves offset as well as angularity measurements - helps to know simple geometry.
    Never said Fuzzy was wrong he is just a smart ass. Are you shimming the trans and/or the carrier bearing?

I don't know the alignment/misalignment conditions you have. If you are destroying the coupler...there is misalignment. Start with stiffening your mounts then move to the transmission shimming after careful measurements. If you have a decent "rough" alignment, a test drive will not destroy the coupling but might suffer vibrations. You have to work through the vibrations and start shimming (washers work too) in other places. Do not shim in different places at the same time...carrier bearing and transmission. One alignment on one end - test. Rinse and repeat.

I could bore you with vibration theory and resonance but your ears are your feedback. A solid coupler like Revshift is made for a very stiff drivetrain...no Cadillac float on air shit.

I feel like I'm stating the obvious here or did I miss something? Let me recall what I think I understand...you purchased a solid drive shaft coupler that is designed for precise alignment. This coupler was then installed in a system that was not designed for precise alignment. The expectation was that the rigid coupler would perform better than the flexible coupler with no other changes to the drivetrain. The result was failure of the solid drive shaft coupler. If this is the case, then you introduced a component that was not correctly implemented into your particular system (setup, whatever). Hmm, well be prepared to chase torsional vibrations after you solve the shearing of the solid coupling.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yea I am in OK
    John was asking me in your behalf. But I explained you were probably the guy here asking and that I couldn't help...

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
    Love RevShift despite the small delays, I run a small business on the side myself and can attest to how much work is involved and how much shit your have to eat from customers who want instant gratification, people that bitch and moan about waiting 2 while weeks for a part that has to be fabricated need to find another hobby in my opinion, especially a part they broke themselves from improper installation.

But that's just me and my opinion doesn't mean anything really, but wanted to at least show my support for Revshift before they decide its not worth all the effort and complaining and quit making these parts, then we're all ****ed and stuck with OEM...

By the way Revshift release your shock bushings now! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    Love RevShift despite the small delays, I run a small business on the side myself and can attest to how much work is involved and how much shit your have to eat from customers who want instant gratification, people that bitch and moan about waiting 2 while weeks for a part that has to be fabricated need to find another hobby in my opinion, especially a part they broke themselves from improper installation.

But that's just me and my opinion doesn't mean anything really, but wanted to at least show my support for Revshift before they decide its not worth all the effort and complaining and quit making these parts, then we're all ****ed and stuck with OEM...

By the way Revshift release your shock bushings now! Haha
    24 Hour Wrecker and a shop. I have an idea.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    John was asking me in your behalf. But I explained you were probably the guy here asking and that I couldn't help...
    Just looking for a reply. Got one here faster than phone or email.
    robojesus and robojesus like this.

robojesus is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): of

I think everyone just needs to quit being a douchebag.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by robojesus View Post
    I think everyone just needs to quit being a douchebag.
    It's the internet....that's what happens.

sgtdestruction is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Revshift View Post
    Big changes are happening within Revshift. This will all become apparent very soon. Unless, our happy customers don't speak up.
    Ordered Motor Mounts (80A) from RevShift a few months ago and received them 8 days later. Excellent turnaround time. Installed in less than 3 hours and extemely happy customer.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdestruction View Post
    Ordered Motor Mounts (80A) from RevShift a few months ago and received them 8 days later. Excellent turnaround time. Installed in less than 3 hours and extemely happy customer.
    Yeah this was kinda like my experience too. This isn't a product that is going to prevent the drivability of your car while waiting. If it's made to order then expect a longer turn around time. I've modded many cars with varying degrees and you have to accept some stuff is...CUSTOM! Honestly, the only thing I would complain about with my experience with them is...where is my sticker???! I put those on my toolbox!

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

As of this week, we are all caught up with backorders and parts are being made for stock. Shipping will be a lot faster than the previous months. We are getting to our 24 hour shipping goal quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    Yeah this was kinda like my experience too. This isn't a product that is going to prevent the drivability of your car while waiting. If it's made to order then expect a longer turn around time. I've modded many cars with varying degrees and you have to accept some stuff is...CUSTOM! Honestly, the only thing I would complain about with my experience with them is...where is my sticker???! I put those on my toolbox!
    PM me your name and I'll mail you a surprise.
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
    Hey RevShift, just got my shipping info from you guys. Just wanted to say that in the future just tell people when stuff is going to take a while. Most people are willing to wait patiently if they are told up front.

Can't wait to get my diff bushing and get it in, this clunk is driving me nuts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.