Mod V1 or trade up for V2?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mod V1 or trade up for V2? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Do the V2's have a robust drivetrain? I'm just wondering the economics of purchasing the CS mod for a V1. ...
    philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Mod V1 or trade up for V2?

Do the V2's have a robust drivetrain? I'm just wondering the economics of purchasing the CS mod for a V1. I would kick myself if I got a V2 only to find out I needed to replace the differential etc. This mod sounds great but my wife's voice of reason says...just trade up for a V2, problem solved! I like my 2004 but I hate to throw away $ if it doesn't make sense. This is almost the price of a SC...then add the SC and you're in $12k - cheap.

The resale is plummeting on the V1's - difficult to decide on expensive mods. Any constructive discussion would be appreciated as I'm on the fence.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bacon V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Re: Mod V1 or trade up for V2?

trade up and mod the V2
    JazMiller and JazMiller like this.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I agree, ditch the V1 and get the V2...Better seats, newer tech and more power to be harnessed at a lower price...

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

If you are going to get a V2 wait until the V3 is on the lots of dealerships. People will be selling the V2 for nothing or trading them in. I bet you could get one for mid 30s when the next gen comes out.

Personally I am gonna stay with the V1 because I like the look a little better, its lighter, and I can do whatever I want with it once is paid off in a year or 2. I wouldn't have a V2 paid off for a while cuz I dont have a money tree in the back yard.
    Pillow likes this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

The whole premise assumes modding is a logical endeavor. It's not.

Having said that, the thing to do is sell the V1 before the V3 comes out. As stated above, the prices of V2s are going to drop when the V3 comes out, and the V1 prices will be squeezed down, too, as a result. Sell the V1 now, bank the money, buy a cheap DD, then jump on a V2 or a V3 when they come out and dump the DD for minimal loss.

My $0.02.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

As much as I love my V1, if it was financially possible and my wife was suggesting it, I'd probably go for the V2.

I thought I'd keep my V1 forever, but as it approaches 10 years old, I see a lot more routine maintenance on the horizon than mods.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    I like the look of the V1 better but that is purely subjective. Objectively the V2 is better in almost every aspect. Power - the V2 is much better starting point, more displacement and designed for FI. Ergonomics - the V1 was behind the curve when released and now a decade later it is very dated. Braking - larger rotors, six piston calipers. Handling - this is the only real toss up for me. The mag shocks are great but are they enough for what you want to do with the car and/or what is the real cost to mod.

You know all this stuff anyway but about a year ago I was trying to make a similar make/buy decision and it came down to the fact that I wanted to "make" something uniquely mine. If I bought the V2 I wasn't going to have the cash to mod it and I still really like the V1. So for me it all came down to the desire to check off building a performance car before I kick the bucket.

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

i'd keep the V1 and mod it for track/autoX only, then pick up a V2 or a C6 as a daily.

Quote Originally Posted by sssnake View Post
    . You know all this stuff anyway but about a year ago I was trying to make a similar make/buy decision and it came down to the fact that I wanted to "make" something uniquely mine. If I bought the V2 I wasn't going to have the cash to mod it and I still really like the V1. So for me it all came down to the desire to check off building a performance car before I kick the bucket.
    I know exactly what you mean. I just finished a different project car that took me 4 months to complete and the tuning is now finally done - it's an amazing feeling!

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The wife is saying to get a V2 and you are resisting. I am still trying to picture this scenario.....
    Hammar, GizmoQ, GizmoQ and 13 others like this.

BigDaddy-V is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Having only owned my 04 for right at a year, and still loving it, it would probably be cheaper to do routine maintenance and mod it if paid for. I love the thought of owning a V2 sport wagon bad, but you know what they say "Cheaper to keep her"!

Some day I hope to keep my first/current one for fun and drive a new one as my DD! Wife just doesn't know it yet!

BDV

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

As the work begins on my weld in 4 point roll bar tomorrow, the decision has been officially made to stick with the V1 for me. That said, even having spent about as much in mods on my car as my purchase price, I'm still under what V2s are going for. Plus I've been enjoying (and cursing at times) the car for 5 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    As the work begins on my weld in 4 point roll bar tomorrow, the decision has been officially made to stick with the V1 for me. That said, even having spent about as much in mods on my car as my purchase price, I'm still under what V2s are going for. Plus I've been enjoying (and cursing at times) the car for 5 years now.
    There is one thing I would rather have more than a V2...Edelbrock E-force in my V1. I know there are some dedicated members pioneering for the rest of us and it has not gone unnoticed! It is a mystery why that company doesn't make a kit. Old and new imports have a laundry list of options with detailed instructions...the V1 has so few.

Johnson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2000 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    There is one thing I would rather have more than a V2...Edelbrock E-force in my V1. I know there are some dedicated members pioneering for the rest of us and it has not gone unnoticed! It is a mystery why that company doesn't make a kit. Old and new imports have a laundry list of options with detailed instructions...the V1 has so few.
    I'm in the process of getting the parts together to do this, it doesn't seem like there is much customization needed to make the E-force work
    Pillow likes this.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

I did both

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.