Mod V1 or trade up for V2? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mod V1 or trade up for V2? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by philistine There is one thing I would rather have more than a V2...Edelbrock E-force in my V1. ...
    sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    There is one thing I would rather have more than a V2...Edelbrock E-force in my V1. I know there are some dedicated members pioneering for the rest of us and it has not gone unnoticed! It is a mystery why that company doesn't make a kit. Old and new imports have a laundry list of options with detailed instructions...the V1 has so few.
    Doing the e force now on an 07 so LS 2 with the LS 3 universal kit. I have hit a snag or two but nothing major. Of course I haven't started the car yet so I may have more issues than I am aware of...
    Attached Images

uploadfromtaptalk1365601665311.jpg

Sorry, for some reason the pic did not upload.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Mod V1 or trade up for V2?

Nothing looks sexier than the V1 IMO. The V2's are hot, but nowhere near the looks of the V1. The interior is better on the V2, but outside? No way. Plus the coupes are atrcious IMO. the quarter panel is half the car. The new ATS is super bon bon, but alot smaller.

Don't get me wrong...the V2 is very badass, but ask someone who has went from a V1 to a V2. They all say the same thing. The V2 feels waaaayyy heavier. You should ride in both and see which one you prefer. But the V2 starts off with more power, and put a pully and tune on it, and they wake the F up.

All that said, you could buy a modded V1 and keep modding it and still be way under the V2 price. But if my girl was telling me to get a V2, I'd have a very hard time resisting.

Oh and once you mod, you don't stop.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by sssnake View Post
    Attachment 106560

Sorry, for some reason the pic did not upload.
    Nice Yella Terras!

Excuse my ignorance, what's the LS3 universal kit?

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Nothing looks sexier than the V1 IMO. The V2's are hot, but nowhere near the looks of the V1. The interior is better on the V2, but outside? No way. Plus the coupes are atrcious IMO. the quarter panel is half the car. The new ATS is super bon bon, but alot smaller.

Don't get me wrong...the V2 is very badass, but ask someone who has went from a V1 to a V2. They all say the same thing. The V2 feels waaaayyy heavier. You should ride in both and see which one you prefer. But the V2 starts off with more power, and put a pully and tune on it, and they wake the F up.

All that said, you could buy a modded V1 and keep modding it and still be way under the V2 price. But if my girl was telling me to get a V2, I'd have a very hard time resisting.

Oh and once you mod, you don't stop.

----------

Nice Yella Terras!

Excuse my ignorance, what's the LS3 universal kit?
    They make vehicle specific kits and universal kits. As they don't make a V1 kit and I wanted to use rectangular port heads so I went with the universal kit for the ls3 engine. There are a few extra things you have to do (ls2 to ls7 maf and map wiring) but so far nothing major.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post

Good advice on test driving the V2 first and compare - I've only compared platforms from reading. My wife made the suggestion based on age of the V1 and resale - we have a decent car budget and own 4 cars. She knows I like to turn wrenches and mod but I got into a disaster with one I just wrapped up and fixed after a local tuner completely F'd my toy up. Long story short her suggestion for a V2 would avoid any messy complications.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

In this forum of course people are going to say V2!

1) It looks better.
    2) The car is in a different class in every way.
    3) The car has an interior head and tails above the V1.
    4) The platform can get crazy fast with somewhat little money, and things seem to hold up. This is only from research. I haven't modded and don't really plan to mod my car much if any. 560 HP is plenty for a daily driver.
    5) The V2 is an icon. The V1 is not. The V1 maybe have been the first, but it didn't challenge the rest of the world in the way the V2 did, does, and will continue to do.
    6) Prices on the V2 have come down, but are still holding some good value assuming you didn't pay sticker to begin with. I wouldn't wait another 6 months or longer for the next V. Who knows how long before the Vsport and true V3 are available. I don't see the desire of the market dumping the V2 for the V3 either. The V3 will be an $80,000 car and most likely will not hit the world with the same wow factor of the V2, though you can bet it will be fantastic.
    7) Get a V2 while you can still find one with a factory warranty and the option to extend it. Find one with low miles before they are all modded up and beat to shit like 03 Cobras and 1998 Supra's.
    8) I think the V2 set the bar high enough all around that its not going to lose its relevancy for several years. I'm not going to toot my own horn and say its the bench mark to the car world that the M series is; however, it will remain a very significant player in the bench mark for an American sports sedans by which all others are judged. The platform came out in 2008-2009 and is still way faster/better than all but the most recent offerings at significantly higher prices.

----------

The V1 was not a light car at 3900lbs. Would a professional driver notice 3900lb curb weight vs 4200lb? Maybe, I'm not saying it isn't an insignificant amount; however, track times don't lie. The V2 is known for handling much better than what the curb weight says. Is this because of how its balanced, where the weight is, and or how all of the fancy traction control and magnetic ride control plays in? Probably. I think the V2 is in a whole other higher class of cars.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    I did both

-Chris
    Me too. Kinda...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    In this forum of course people are going to say V2!

1) It looks better.
    2) The car is in a different class in every way.
    3) The car has an interior head and tails above the V1.
    4) The platform can get crazy fast with somewhat little money, and things seem to hold up. This is only from research. I haven't modded and don't really plan to mod my car much if any. 560 HP is plenty for a daily driver.
    5) The V2 is an icon. The V1 is not. The V1 maybe have been the first, but it didn't challenge the rest of the world in the way the V2 did, does, and will continue to do.
    6) Prices on the V2 have come down, but are still holding some good value assuming you didn't pay sticker to begin with. I wouldn't wait another 6 months or longer for the next V. Who knows how long before the Vsport and true V3 are available. I don't see the desire of the market dumping the V2 for the V3 either. The V3 will be an $80,000 car and most likely will not hit the world with the same wow factor of the V2, though you can bet it will be fantastic.
    7) Get a V2 while you can still find one with a factory warranty and the option to extend it. Find one with low miles before they are all modded up and beat to shit like 03 Cobras and 1998 Supra's.
    8) I think the V2 set the bar high enough all around that its not going to lose its relevancy for several years. I'm not going to toot my own horn and say its the bench mark to the car world that the M series is; however, it will remain a very significant player in the bench mark for an American sports sedans by which all others are judged. The platform came out in 2008-2009 and is still way faster/better than all but the most recent offerings at significantly higher prices.

----------

The V1 was not a light car at 3900lbs. Would a professional driver notice 3900lb curb weight vs 4200lb? Maybe, I'm not saying it isn't an insignificant amount; however, track times don't lie. The V2 is known for handling much better than what the curb weight says. Is this because of how its balanced, where the weight is, and or how all of the fancy traction control and magnetic ride control plays in? Probably. I think the V2 is in a whole other higher class of cars.
    I take issue. The V2 is no more the icon than the V1 was. When the V1 came out, it very much challenged the best sedans out there, performance-wise.

The V2 does not look any better. It looks more aggressive, sure. But it lost the classic simplicity the V1 had.

As for weight, IT MATTERS! That's been my #1 beef of this car from day 1. You can definitely feel the weight. The V1, at 3850lbs, was still tossable. The V2 is not. At Summit Point Shenandoah, whine the V2 test mules would spank me on the straights, I could keep them at bay, and pull, in the tight corners that track provides.

For those that can appreciate communicative handling, you will lose that going to V2.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think the V2 is awesome. The improvements will make the jump worth it to a lot of you. But I don't love it like I loved my '04. That V1 has character in spades. The V2 is very advanced, very refined. It lost some of that character.

Test drive a V2 first.
    trukk, trukk, odla and 15 others like this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Me too. Kinda...

----------

I take issue. The V2 is no more the icon than the V1 was. When the V1 came out, it very much challenged the best sedans out there, performance-wise.

The V2 does not look any better. It looks more aggressive, sure. But it lost the classic simplicity the V1 had.

As for weight, IT MATTERS! That's been my #1 beef of this car from day 1. You can definitely feel the weight. The V1, at 3850lbs, was still tossable. The V2 is not. At Summit Point Shenandoah, whine the V2 test mules would spank me on the straights, I could keep them at bay, and pull, in the tight corners that track provides.

For those that can appreciate communicative handling, you will lose that going to V2.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think the V2 is awesome. The improvements will make the jump worth it to a lot of you. But I don't love it like I loved my '04. That V1 has character in spades. The V2 is very advanced, very refined. It lost some of that character.

Test drive a V2 first.
    Having both in my driveway currently, and having driven both on the track (albeit minimally with the V2, and it is a wagon), I totaly agree with TBJS's comments.

The V1 was/is special because it was such a "WTF IS THAT!" car. Z06 Power: Check. BMW M Slapper: Check. Manual Transmission Only: Check. Unique Looks: CHECK CHECK CHECK! The design of the V1 to me is more iconic. There is nothing that looks like it. Lower is a tad, and add some more meat to the tires, and it looks just plain scary.

The V2 is certainly more refined, but it's just not quite as viceral as the V1. Even with ultraview delete, the V2 is still porky. Going from V2 to V1 is like going from a 5 Series to a 3 Series in feeling of weight (even though size wise they aren't much different.)

From a mechanical stand point, my guess would be once out of warranty, you will probabaly be spending more on the V1 than V2. Quite frankly you will probabaly offest that cost by the added fuel cost of the V2 over the V1. The V2 is an absolute *PIG* on gas as compared to the V1. "try hard' gas milleage on the V2 is closeer to 20 MPG; on the V1 it's 30.

If you want an around the town type of car: V2 is hard to ignore
    If you want a power monster: V2 is hard to ignore (so much power available for limited investment)
    Want to mod the car a lot: probabaly V2, as there are a lot of things that need to be fixed on the V1 prior to heavy modding it (rubber be gone!)
    If you want a track car: V1 *hands down*
    If you want to drive the iconic V: to me that is the V1.

Best solution is to have both

Just my $0.02.

-Chris
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    In this forum of course people are going to say V1!

1) The V1 looks better.
    2) The two cars are different in alot of ways.
    3) The V2 has a much better interior that the V1.
    4) The platform can get crazy fast with somewhat little money, and things seem to hold up. This is only from research. I haven't modded and don't really plan to mod my car much if any so I can't really talk about much of anything as far as mods.
    5) The first generation CTS-V also posted a lap time of 8 minutes 19 seconds at Germany's famed Nürburgring Nordschleife, competitive with rivals such as the Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG, BMW M5, and Lexus IS-F
    6), 7), 8) blah blah blah ribble rabble blah
    Fixed.
    OneFast V and OneFast V like this.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

IMO, V1 with complete V2 drivetrain (less the magnetic ride control), best of both worlds.
    Overd0s3 and Overd0s3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    IMO, V1 with complete V2 drivetrain (less the magnetic ride control), best of both worlds.
    All these responses are great! We decided to refinance our house on a 10year loan and take advantage of the low interest rates and that took a bite out of V2 car payments.

Looks like the V1 will get some drivetrain mods...and clutch. While rowing through the gears this past Sunday and bouncing off the rev-limiter - clutch gave out. My father was visiting out of town and wanted to race. He was driving my S2k and I was trying to catch him in the caddy...ugh! We were going to get some video of it but the caddy broke on the second run. I had the boost dialed down to 12 psi on the s2k for a more even match. I lost to wheel-hop on the get-go then after a recovering, I started to gain some ground then lost the clutch between shifts. After that, the wife said...ok fix your car, I'm refinancing the house.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    All these responses are great! We decided to refinance our house on a 10year loan and take advantage of the low interest rates and that took a bite out of V2 car payments.

Looks like the V1 will get some drivetrain mods...and clutch. While rowing through the gears this past Sunday and bouncing off the rev-limiter - clutch gave out. My father was visiting out of town and wanted to race. He was driving my S2k and I was trying to catch him in the caddy...ugh! We were going to get some video of it but the caddy broke on the second run. I had the boost dialed down to 12 psi on the s2k for a more even match. I lost to wheel-hop on the get-go then after a recovering, I started to gain some ground then lost the clutch between shifts. After that, the wife said...ok fix your car, I'm refinancing the house.
    Sounds like a good plan! have fun.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    It's always nicer when you really don't have to decide...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

I took a tour and got to see the ProChargers at work on the Camaro SS's and the SRT8s. They give lower IAT's and on the LS6 they make ~540 HP with a stock bottom and up to ~700 hp with a built bottom end. The Dodge I witnessed made about 700 hp@12 psi, pretty neat. It's a PITA install for DIY but I'm still considering it. I have to get my other beast finished and then focus on the CTS-V.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Everything has been said so far but to add to it, the V1 was a special vehicle mostly to American buyers and to people who where also pumped about the gto coming back. the V2 has global reach and people tend to regard it as a vehicle that has moved the sports sedan relm forward in the same vain as the m3/m5/rs4 sedans.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.