ls7 Clutch swap trouble bleeding clutch!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, ls7 Clutch swap trouble bleeding clutch!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So thread it to my line then when I have my bleeder open the air won't come in right? ---------- ...
    D-RoKK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    So thread it to my line then when I have my bleeder open the air won't come in right?

----------

How do I look up a check valve that would work for me on autozone or OReilly website?

Bacon V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V
    Figure out what the thread size is on the line and then go to the store and ask for one. I can't find it on the website, but i know I've seen them at oreilly by the brake stuff. Looks like a standard brake bleeder nipple on one side and an npt thread on the other.

Re: ls7 Clutch swap trouble bleeding clutch!!

The thing circled in green is the check valve and it's what you should get. Its a one way check valve when open which allows fluid out and then closes to prevent air from getting in. When done, you just tighten the check valve into the female fitting like a regular brake bleeder fitting. Turns bleeding into a simple pumping exercise. Dont let the reservoir go dry or you have to start over.

check valve.jpg

Jeff James is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 V1

You DO have to keep an eye on it or it will drain completely. The check valve is a great way to do it but just opening the bleeder and keeping it below fluid in extra container will do the same. Just keep an eye on the reservoir when hand compressing the clutch.

This just doesn't make sense! Ughhhhhh. So I had everything connected and transmission bolted to the bell housing. I have an ls7 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and monster remote bleeder with a check valve. I had a friend tell me I needed an ls7 master cylinder. Is that correct? Because the current slave cylinder I just put in was getting barely any feel and then it just started leaking fluid out of the bell housing. It just doesn't seem right that mine im going through slaves left and right (5 now) and each time I get barely or no pedal feel and then it just leaks... I am so fed up with gm and it's design right now im about to pull out the ls2 and put in a ford v8 since their transmissions are so much easier to work with..

Just step away from the Ford, Man. Everything will be OK. Sounds like maybe something is loose on the Slave. I've been watching the LS7 clutch threads for some time and never heard these problems. The only real issue has been whether to use an LS7 slave or the LS2 with the spacer. You also may have a thread issue if you installed an NPT bleeder/check valve in the end of the AN hose. Straight thread vs tapered is always a problem. Go back to the bleeder as delivered and remember MOVE Fluid not pressure. The gravity bleed may work better. Air trapped inline won't move very far with each movement of the pedal. Try putting the bleeder -open- in the reservoir then compress pedal. You will be moving the same fluid thru and won't empty the reservoir.

Can someone explain to me how a gravity bleed would work since the bleeder screw is on the top of the slave cylinder?

Hopefully air rises out of the system when the open bleeder is below everything else. I am the first to admit that I have not done this . Trying to help here. The bleeder bottle (container) or bleeder in the reservoir is the best way to bleed anything. Ever bench bleed a Master cyl. with bent tubes that just come back into the reservoir?

Now explain what bench bleeding is. Ive heard it but have no idea what it is.

Is it possible I need a new master Cylinder??

If I gravity bleed, do I open my remote bleeder and stick it in fluid and leave it there?

Thanks!!

Typical...someone attempts their own repair and then blames GM when they botch it. No you don't need a ls7 master, but you do need an ls7 slave.

Mr.electric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville
    Hydraulics can be a huge pain in the ass , frustrating experience. I spent like 5 -7 hours and a gallon of brake fluid trying to bleed the clutch on a ford ranger. Turns out the angle of the lines going into the master makes it impossible to bleed without taking out the master and allowing the air bubble to escape by making the line face up not down then reinstalling. I have been very pleased with pressure bleeders. With clutches I have noticed that simply working the pedal for about 15 minutes with the bleeder closed seems to work every time. Even on a camaro with an ls1 with the concentric slave. I mean just fill up the res, sit in the car and press the pedal in and out for 15 minutes. It has worked for me. By the way does the master mount at a 45 degree angle like the ford?

You said you've gone through 5 slaves and they all leak? Doesn't that seem odd? Where are they leaking from? Post a picture of your slave cylinder all we can see it. Where are you getting the slaves from? Are you positive it's an LS7 and not just a stock replacement? There is a big difference between the two.

Bottom line, if you've got leaks you've got a hardware problem somewhere and you'll never get a firm pedal. It's possible you have a bad master, but if it worked before this install then it likely still works.

Bench bleeding is just what it sounds like. Bleed the whole assembly on the bench while it's out of the car, and then install without disconnecting any lines.

PISNUOFF Guest

If you aren't getting any pedal pressure after you bleed the system just pump the pedal up and down a bunch of times. This has happened to me many times, especially with new parts.

I have gotten 2 from rock auto, 1 from concentric, and I have a total of 3 from OReilly for the exact purpose of fear they would leak. All for the ls7.

----------

Ive always been a ford guy.. ive had 2 mustangs (built a v6 auto to beat gt's and built a gt 5 speed centennial edition to run down cobras), then ive also had a f150.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon V View Post
    You said you've gone through 5 slaves and they all leak? Doesn't that seem odd? Where are they leaking from? Post a picture of your slave cylinder all we can see it. Where are you getting the slaves from? Are you positive it's an LS7 and not just a stock replacement? There is a big difference between the two.

Bottom line, if you've got leaks you've got a hardware problem somewhere and you'll never get a firm pedal. It's possible you have a bad master, but if it worked before this install then it likely still works.

Bench bleeding is just what it sounds like. Bleed the whole assembly on the bench while it's out of the car, and then install without disconnecting any lines.

You can "Bench Bleed" on the car if your bleeder line is long enough to fit into your Master reservoir.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.