new breather/ oil catch can setup
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, new breather/ oil catch can setup in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; i figured it was time to get this thing built as i have had the parts laying around for a ...
    runsfromdacops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V built 383. 875/860RW pump/met

new breather/ oil catch can setup

i figured it was time to get this thing built as i have had the parts laying around for a bit.
    i planed n running 5 -10 AN lines originally but cut it down to 3. i think it will be just fine with the 3 -10 AN lines.

it passed the water test, cant ask for alot more then that

im welding on a 30amp breaker so i have to pre heat so i can weld @ 110 amps instead of 180+

had to make a custom short back cap to get in the tight spaces.

you can see that i added a triangle to the end of the breather that will be a PS reservoir.

more preheating with my custom torch holder.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: new breather/ oil catch can setup

i almost forgot the VCs

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

wow, i like your idea,

I am taking it a step lower, and creating a catch can that will lay horizontal with the fitting in through the bottom and the out from the front. Pix to follow, this way i catch the oil from the valve cover to the intake tube and when i stop and the air direction reverses, it sucks the oil back into the valve cover making it a service free catch can. Obviously fillin it with SS wool...

Nice job, and great hand in welding...

maybe im missunderstanding you but i dont see how that will work.

also
    DO NOT PUT SS WOOL IN A CATCH CAN!!!!!!!
    . little piecs will end up braking off and end up in your motor.... not at all good. thats what all the baffels are for. to take the the oil vapor out of the air before it leaves the can

PISNUOFF Guest

The stainless steel wool pieces will sand down his motor internals and therefore save weight. It's all in the brilliant master plan.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I love the welding job and it sure looks pretty, but I thought metal would transfer heat alot better?

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

That's pretty impressive... me likey

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    I love the welding job and it sure looks pretty, but I thought metal would transfer heat alot better?
    im not sure exactly what you mean by this.

alum requires alot of amps (or heat) to weld. about 3 times as much as steel of the same thickness. so you can cheat the requirements a little but preheating the alum.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Some impressive handiwork there! Obviously 2 lines go to the VCs, where does the third one go?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Thanks.
    The 3rd line is going to valley

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Chambers and baffles can be sufficient to seperate oil from air in some applications, such as compressed air systems, because there is a signifiicant coincidental pressure drop to facilitate the oil/air seperation. However, in a low-pressure application such as an automotive crankcase ventilation system coalescing material of some sort is typically required.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Chambers and baffles can be sufficient to seperate oil from air in some applications, such as compressed air systems, because there is a signifiicant coincidental pressure drop to facilitate the oil/air seperation. However, in a low-pressure application such as an automotive crankcase ventilation system coalescing material of some sort is typically required.
    im sorry but thats just not true.

every catch can i have built or seen in all kinds of cars and hydroplanes have been just fine. the baffles are more then sufficient to remove to oil vapaer from the air before it leaves the can.
    im sure that haveing somthing like ss wool in the can would work in place of baffles but opens up alot of other problems.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I thought baffles were to prevent sloshing around and foaming not separation unless they are heated.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by runsfromdacops View Post
    im sorry but thats just not true.

every catch can i have built or seen in all kinds of cars and hydroplanes have been just fine. the baffles are more then sufficient to remove to oil vapaer from the air before it leaves the can.
    im sure that haveing somthing like ss wool in the can would work in place of baffles but opens up alot of other problems.
    I never said that ss wool should be used as coalescing material. The fact that some people build and run oil catch cans with no coalescing material does not prove that they are efficient. Afterall, oil catch cans without coalescing material will often remove some of the oil and will cause no harm.

Im not sure what your getting at.

If the motor can breath threw the can freely and all the oil vapor is being removed before the air leaves the can. What more can u ask for?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.