Right front FG2 is leaking. Just confirming that QA1 is the way to go.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Right front FG2 is leaking. Just confirming that QA1 is the way to go. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Darn FG2 has only 29k on it. Read a bunch of old threads, and being that FG2s are nearly impossible ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Right front FG2 is leaking. Just confirming that QA1 is the way to go.

Darn FG2 has only 29k on it. Read a bunch of old threads, and being that FG2s are nearly impossible to come by (especially singles) it seemed that QA1 was the way to go. KW and Penske are too pricey. I called Nick at OC Shocks in Ohio, and he gave me a ballpark number, and it's even cheaper than I got the FG2s for in the first place.

Has anything changed since these old threads were new two and three years ago?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Right front FG2 is leaking. Just confirming that QA1 is the way to go.

Duh! Just saw this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...coilovers.html

At two weeks old, this would seem to be fairly authoritative for my purposes. Okay, so if the FG2 I've got my eyes on falls through, then it's OC Shocks.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    I have a used front FG2 if you're interested... I'm not looking to make a ton of money on it just want it out if my garage lol

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Randy,
    Maybe it's BECAUSE you only have 29k on those suckers! Mine at 99,458 (as of tonight) are on borrowed time, but driving them year round keeps the seals lubed.

I don't know if things have changed much, but I had QA1s on my Impala SS for several years. They could not take year round driving. Every winter, at least one would blow a seal. Rebuilding is possible, but the bodies were so corroded that it wasn't really worth it in my experience. I really liked the 12 position adjusting on them, though. It made track days great having a "course" tuning tool. When I sold the SS I threw out 3 decent ones and 4 "dead" ones that were waiting for rebuilds. (I had gone back to Bilsteins in the end)

I know, I have a V and it shouldn't see snow. My V loves snow, though! Especially with your old rims powdercoated black!

-PJ

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I was in the same boat. Fg2 and no replacements that were cost effective. i too went with Qa1. I have my old fg2's sitting around. If you want you can have them. I don't remember which one went bad. Let me know. They seen some track days and had about 40k on them.

PISNUOFF Guest

I have to rebuild at least one QA1 every year also. I use to think it was Nick at OC Shocks not knowing what he was doing but apparently that's not the case. In 5 years I've only needed to replace one body though. Both fronts are currently in need of repair because of blown seals.

Sounds like those QA1s are a bit high maintenance. Of course, that's on Brian's car, though. Ha ha!

Still, taking them off every year and sending them in to be rebuilt then putting them back on sounds like a PITA.

Plus, I don't mind putting a hundred bucks or a couple of hundred into a mod here and there, but I'm also trying to keep my piggybank moving ahead for a new ATS-V or possibly a Gen 3 CTS-V, and at nearly a grand going into a set of shocks isn't on my list right now. I'd like to be done putting bigger money into my Gen 1.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Sounds like those QA1s are a bit high maintenance. Of course, that's on Brian's car, though. Ha ha!

Still, taking them off every year and sending them in to be rebuilt then putting them back on sounds like a PITA.

Plus, I don't mind putting a hundred bucks or a couple of hundred into a mod here and there, but I'm also trying to keep my piggybank moving ahead for a new ATS-V or possibly a Gen 3 CTS-V, and at nearly a grand going into a set of shocks isn't on my list right now. I'd like to be done putting bigger money into my Gen 1.
    I'd put a pair of FE4s on the front, perhaps with some lower-rate springs in the Ground Control, and call it a day.

Yeah, I thought of FE4s, but I'm not so sure about lower-rate springs ... I really like the ride with these 600s in the front.

Still trying to wrangle an FG2 as my first option; QA1s are still my second.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Yeah, I thought of FE4s, but I'm not so sure about lower-rate springs ... I really like the ride with these 600s in the front.

Still trying to wrangle an FG2 as my first option; QA1s are still my second.
    You could get D2 coil over kit for about $900 and re use your ground control springs on the d2 kit....

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    You could get D2 coil over kit for about $900 and re use your ground control springs on the d2 kit....
    That's not far from the ~$850 OC Shocks wants for a set of QA1s. Don't know much about the D2 kit, but I was hopefully going to utilize my GC kit and Eibachs with the QA1s (if I go that route). Is that a valid plan?

How do D2s compare with QA1s?

That's not far from the ~$850 OC Shocks wants for a set of QA1s. Don't know much about the D2 kit, but I was hopefully going to utilize my GC kit and Eibachs with the QA1s (if I go that route). Is that a valid plan?

How do D2s compare with QA1s?
    I have not run the QA1s but i like my D2s so far, they are 32 way adjustable. They however are not rebuildable like the QA1s. I have about 7k miles on mine and no issues yet.

... they are 32 way adjustable ...
    Hm-m ...

... They however are not rebuildable like the QA1s ...
    Double hm-m ...

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I'd buy two FE4's and call it a day if it was me.

Correction 36-way adjustable and i just got confirmation from D2 racing you can buy single replacement struts at $130 each and they generally carry stock.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.