Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Revshift Motor Mounts with Headers

6K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  Bacon V 
#1 ·
I've been reading lots of threads on different MMs for the first gen V and I am leaning towards doing the Revshifts. I have the car torn apart and waiting for a header install right now and decided I should do them now while ive got the exhaust/cats out of the way. Anyone have any issues with header heat on the Revshifts? I read reviews after a few hundred miles - just wondered how they were working after 10k miles or so? Any need for the silicone heat jackets?

Can they be installed with headers in place? Kind of forgot to order them and wanted to put the car back together today so I can hear the exhaust...will i kick myself later for not doing this all at the same time?

#4 ·
My only advice is to support the engine with a jack at the front lip of the oil pan, where it's strongest. Also, use 6-point (hex) sockets to minimize the chances that you'll strip something. In my case, I think I just have a really, really stuck bolt and it wouldn't have mattered whether I used 6 or 12 point.

#6 ·
I swear I tried searching for threads like this on both this site and LS1Tech. I found a couple, but not that specific one. Thanks for pointing it out.

What does the "juice" in the stock mounts look like? I havent taken mine out yet, but they dont *look* bad from what I can tell. They have 87k miles on them and while removing the stock manifolds/cats, i noticed what looked like rusty water "spray" under the mount and on the subframe. Cant find any rusted metal, so I was wondering if it was the prized mojo fluid in the stock mounts?

My car rocks at idle and has all the other tell tale signs of bad mounts which is why im replacing them - was just curious.

#8 ·
Thanks, but i already ordered the Revshifts. My somewhat lofty goal is to someday build a stroker to put in this car at which time ill upgrade the mounts. This motor has some miles on it, but its got plenty of life left so ill run it for a while.

#20 ·
Ok, wtf... I have all 7 upper bolts loose (fuzzy - i had two stuck like you did. Still can't believe i got them out) and all 4 bottom bolts off/out and now i can't get the sub frame to let go of the bottom mount bracket. I jack the engine and the whole car lifts up. Any ideas? I've hit it with a hammer and tried a pry bar to no avail

#22 ·
I've got both of the bottoms on both sides out. Both nuts came off without the studs, but the studs came out easily. I've got the car on ramps with wheels on - how much will the motor compress the suspension? Am i just not jacking it high enough? I don't want to collapse the oil pan by lifting too much

#24 ·
Headers are off and I'm using a floor jack with a 2x6 on it. The car raises about 1-2 inches before i stop. Guess I'll try lifting a little more in the morning. I even hit the mount with a hammer while i had tension on them. And here i thought accessing the bolts would be the hardest part...that was the easiest part

#26 ·
Strut tower is out and stock intake. I was getting frustrated with the stuck bolts so i probably didn't give it enough of a chance.

If it makes you feel better, the two bottom drivers side bolts on the upper bracket were so stuck that my 450 ft-lb impact wrench couldn't take them off. I did manage to break a 1/2" universal joint though. Ended up getting them of with a black oxide impact socket, 24" breaker bar, and an extension. Sounded like a gunshot under the car when it came loose. Thought for sure i broke the bolts, but they came out by hand after that. Must have been seized between the bolt flange and the bracket.

#34 ·
The pan is actually a cast aluminum piece and it is relative stout (for an oil pan). The advantage to jacking there is that its directly under the mass. If you move back to the bellhousing you are jacking behind the mass of the engine and actually adding a huge moment to the bellhousing. It a little thicker in the bellhousing, but the added stress would more than cancel that out.

For what its worth, the Cadillac service doc for replacing the mounts tells you to jack from the oil pan in step two...click here

#37 ·
Just in case someone in the future has the same problem i wanted to report back. Got the brackets to separate from the frame by jacking the engine higher. Turns out the weight makes the suspension squat more than i would have thought. Also worth noting is that with the manifolds and cats off, the mount/bracket assembly can go in/out as a whole and doesn't have to be taken apart on the car. Also, loosen the two outer sub-frame to chassis bolts and it'll give you more clearance. Hopefully i can get the headers and new exhaust together tomorrow so i can test everything out. The drivers side mount looked fine, but the passenger side was split in half and had leaked out all it's fluid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.