Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Best toy ever

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  BigDaddy-V 
#1 ·
So I have had the car right at a year and already had the stealth v intake and corsa on when I bought her. I have since added the DiabloSport tuner with a custom tune through Diablew Tunes (which was amzing btw) and after doing much searching I cam across the trashcan intake and it it the next day in
the garage! I loved that idea and it is perfect and works great. Was reading +8 degrees from outside air temps.

I mostly just wanted to say Hey because I have been readng a bunch but will now join in on things. I will be doing more mods down the road with headers next and who knows after that has far as HP is concerned but love everybody feedback on things and have given me great insight on things for the best toy ever!

BDV

#3 ·
Also, I have recently moved to the burbs of DFW in Collin Cty and would love to know of anybody around me and what they have done and planning to do with other mods or what actually worked and what was a waste of time with their V's. I would gladly lend a hand with things if possible with schedule. Always good to know the fellow car guys around!

#5 ·
Excellent. I have a young family so I am going to be very budget minded in my build through the years that is until she isn't a DD anymore and the little ones get out of the house! The wife said yesterday that she will be getting me the headers for my birthday in 2 months! Made my day! Mainly looking for things to be able to do in my garage in a couple of hours for now. I have read the posts about who likes what brand and such but focused on the overall gains. Like p and p of TB or going TPIS snout on the ls6 intake with a ls2 TB. Or just not messing with that till cam swap. Stuff like that. Hope all are well this Easter weekend!

BVD

#6 ·
I know there are cheaper alternatives to the Kooks headers but the fit and ease of installation was awesome. I installed mine in 1.5 hours and they mated perfectly to the corsa cat back (stock exhaust manifold was already off of the car). If I had a lift it would have gone even quicker.

I opted for the high flow cats as well but they can be removed easily and swapped to the existing corsa connection pipe.

I've tried cheaper headers on other cars and had to clearance several things to make them work. With the kooks I had none of those issues.

#7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the install with time and such. I was wondering if it is worth saving the money and doing myself. You helped to confirm that. I figure with a friend I can get er done! Haven't decided on brand just yet but any info on install will be greatly looked for. I know I needed to stay fatted for emissions testing here and I would be the one guy caught for not running them I am sure!

BDV

#13 ·
Awe hell I was bloody knuckled from sheering a bolt on the exhaust flange past the o2 sensor and frustrated by the end. My woman kept coming out and bugging me about when I was gonna finish. I just threw the dipstick tube on. I still need to shave it some for proper fitment. I had a hell of a time getting the damn dipstick back in for some reason lol. I was just being retarded I think.

#17 ·
You are definitely quicker at this crap than I am. I usually follow your "how to"s and double the time estimates. Headers were a piece of cake for me on this car. However I am beginning to wonder if the previous owner modded the car substantially and then put it back stock for the trade in. Little things like rolled rear fenders, heat shielding in most of the right places, etc.

Coil packs and valve covers are too easy and don't add much time. Now installing valve seals and aftermarket valve springs seem to take me forever. The clips for the retainers just never seem to fit without releasing the spring tension, realigning, and tightening back down.

But I'll tell you what, if you help me finish off the current blower build I'll help you on your next project. I still have pushrods, rockers, air intake fab, fuel system, and mounting the blower and could use an extra set of hands.

#19 ·
Good idea on the feeling around for the factory stuff. As far as the header swap I am feeling good about doingthat one now but pretty sure I will be paying someone when I do the cam and related parts! But who knows I might feel better about that later on.

#20 ·
Not sure how handy you are but installing a cam comes with a lot of attention to detail. Do your homework before diving into that one. While you have all those parts loose, you might want to upgrade/replace other components. You can save yourself $1k's DIY but it's good to have a speedshop handy nearby to bail you out if things get beyond your skill.

#21 ·
I am handy enough to try things on my own for the bolt ons for sure. But going internal is a whole different ballgame! I want to stay NA as much as possible with all mods through the years but reading some posts about maggies and others make me think about FI every now and then. Plus the wallet says take it easy too! After the headers I will more than likely go with suspension mods and clutch and other drivetrain parts to change the feel of the car and ease of driving her daily.

BDV

#22 ·
I did exhaust and suspension then stopped for awhile. I did SW full exhaust and KW V3 coil overs. I've been very happy with the results and it is my favorite daily driver. I do have a rage-monster beast roadster when I want satisfy my urge to go fast - I eat red meat before getting in the driver seat. The V has a delicate balance where if you want more power such as FI...you have to upgrade the drivetrain and clutch - $$$. If money is no object...omg you can turn it into a beast that is fun for daily driving and thrill on the track! Mine is NA and I take it on the track and have tons of fun but the drivetrain is a bit weak and wheel hop kills my times. Even with the cradle bushings, I have to let off the pedal to cease the wheel hop on aggressive acceleration. Take a look at the CS 8.8 thread for unlocking the potential of the car - many happy customers!

#23 · (Edited)
Money for sure is an object now. I have thought about a part time track car but will probably leave it just street. Next I am thinking MM and shocks for sure and looking into the shifter everyone is talking about from pissnuoff. And probably go with a LS7 clutch when then current one goes. I have also looked into the CS diff just for piece of mind for future mods but that one will have to wait for that price tag. And also do some beauty mods until I have the time and other money to play with. Other people talk about the mod bug but I think for the true fan it never leaves and it is a disease!

BDV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.