Best toy ever - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Best toy ever in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Before you try to install the headers, feel for all of the bolts. If you dont feel all of them, ...
    jamesdem1123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS V

Re: Best toy ever

Before you try to install the headers, feel for all of the bolts. If you dont feel all of them, then you might as well start looking around for a welder who will come out. One of my stock bolts broke off on its own. I was taking the heads off anyway, but it still sucks.
    odthetruth and odthetruth like this.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    I'm gonna hire all these badasses next time I tear into my car. Wowzers
    You are definitely quicker at this crap than I am. I usually follow your "how to"s and double the time estimates. Headers were a piece of cake for me on this car. However I am beginning to wonder if the previous owner modded the car substantially and then put it back stock for the trade in. Little things like rolled rear fenders, heat shielding in most of the right places, etc.

Coil packs and valve covers are too easy and don't add much time. Now installing valve seals and aftermarket valve springs seem to take me forever. The clips for the retainers just never seem to fit without releasing the spring tension, realigning, and tightening back down.

But I'll tell you what, if you help me finish off the current blower build I'll help you on your next project. I still have pushrods, rockers, air intake fab, fuel system, and mounting the blower and could use an extra set of hands.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by sssnake View Post
    The clips for the retainers just never seem to fit without releasing the spring tension, realigning, and tightening back down.
    Dude those suck...it took me 6 hrs on friggin retainers the first time I did it. It sorta killed the passion for turning wrenches for a couple weeks.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Good idea on the feeling around for the factory stuff. As far as the header swap I am feeling good about doingthat one now but pretty sure I will be paying someone when I do the cam and related parts! But who knows I might feel better about that later on.

Not sure how handy you are but installing a cam comes with a lot of attention to detail. Do your homework before diving into that one. While you have all those parts loose, you might want to upgrade/replace other components. You can save yourself $1k's DIY but it's good to have a speedshop handy nearby to bail you out if things get beyond your skill.

I am handy enough to try things on my own for the bolt ons for sure. But going internal is a whole different ballgame! I want to stay NA as much as possible with all mods through the years but reading some posts about maggies and others make me think about FI every now and then. Plus the wallet says take it easy too! After the headers I will more than likely go with suspension mods and clutch and other drivetrain parts to change the feel of the car and ease of driving her daily.

BDV

I did exhaust and suspension then stopped for awhile. I did SW full exhaust and KW V3 coil overs. I've been very happy with the results and it is my favorite daily driver. I do have a rage-monster beast roadster when I want satisfy my urge to go fast - I eat red meat before getting in the driver seat. The V has a delicate balance where if you want more power such as FI...you have to upgrade the drivetrain and clutch - $$$. If money is no object...omg you can turn it into a beast that is fun for daily driving and thrill on the track! Mine is NA and I take it on the track and have tons of fun but the drivetrain is a bit weak and wheel hop kills my times. Even with the cradle bushings, I have to let off the pedal to cease the wheel hop on aggressive acceleration. Take a look at the CS 8.8 thread for unlocking the potential of the car - many happy customers!

Money for sure is an object now. I have thought about a part time track car but will probably leave it just street. Next I am thinking MM and shocks for sure and looking into the shifter everyone is talking about from pissnuoff. And probably go with a LS7 clutch when then current one goes. I have also looked into the CS diff just for piece of mind for future mods but that one will have to wait for that price tag. And also do some beauty mods until I have the time and other money to play with. Other people talk about the mod bug but I think for the true fan it never leaves and it is a disease!

BDV

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.