What mods next? Maggie? Cam? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, What mods next? Maggie? Cam? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; There is power to be had from changing the cam. Many have done it and seen nice gains. Not that ...
    izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Re: What mods next? Maggie? Cam?

There is power to be had from changing the cam.

Many have done it and seen nice gains. Not that big of a deal to change a cam. Depends on if you mind swinging a wrench or not.

I was just wondering since I have not seen many peoples increase with a ls9 cam so just wondering who has installed one and how did it turn out.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    I gained 25 rwhp off an LS2 throttle body alone (on a maggie LS6) with the dyno sheets to show that. Also got my throttle body for rough $200 and adapter for $50
    Those are nice gains!

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!

I think a lot depends on how fast you're spinning the Maggie... I think once you reach the 500 mark that's about it for the Maggie LS6 unless you go e85 or spray... so, in my case a cam most likely isn't worth the work...

OneFast V is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Skidmarcx View Post
    I think a lot depends on how fast you're spinning the Maggie... I think once you reach the 500 mark that's about it for the Maggie LS6 unless you go e85 or spray... so, in my case a cam most likely isn't worth the work...
    A cam would definitely help you better utilize the extra air you are pushing in the motor. the LS9 cam was designed with a blower in mind and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw close 15 whp or more with it.

A cam would definitely help you better utilize the extra air you are pushing in the motor. the LS9 cam was designed with a blower in mind and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw close 15 whp or more with it.
    I agree it'll yield gains, but for all that money and work no thanks... cam, valve springs, oil pump, etc... all adds up

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by izcain View Post
    Have you run the LS9 cam DMM?

I have spent alot more then that chasing less then 10 hp lol
    I personally have not, although many have with good results. There are better cams to run, but the Maggie is the limiting factor so in all honesty it really doesn't make a difference.

I'd continue with the (cheap) LS9 cam and valve springs, LS2 front cover and timing chain, OD crank balancer, 1 7/8" headers, DW300 fuel pump, and a custom tune. It will be reliable and make about the most power possible from a Maggie.

----------

I gained 25 rwhp (correction: 15 rwhp) off an LS2 throttle body alone (on a maggie LS6) with the dyno sheets to show that. Also got my throttle body for rough $200 and adapter for $50
    Not likely at all. I can see 10-12whp from changes to the tune and maybe 3-5whp from the throttle body, but you didn't get 15 whp from the throttle body alone. Too many people have done this swap with little to no gain for you to be the exception. And your dyno sheet looks suspiciously odd.

Granted, your LS6 throttle body died and you had nothing to lose since you got everything dirt cheap, I would have done the same. It's just not worth it if you are trying to upgrade and are paying full price.

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Not likely at all. I can see 10-12whp from changes to the tune and maybe 3-5whp from the throttle body, but you didn't get 15 whp from the throttle body alone. Too many people have done this swap with little to no gain for you to be the exception. And your dyno sheet looks suspiciously odd.

Granted, your LS6 throttle body died and you had nothing to lose since you got everything dirt cheap, I would have done the same. It's just not worth it if you are trying to upgrade and are paying full price.
    How can it be the tune? this was the same tuner who previously tuned it. I took it back to him with the new throttle body and he updated the tune with the new throttle body. The only delta was the throttle body unless I'm missing something

Johnson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2000 Trans AM WS6

Thanks guys, I dont want to go through the hassle of pulling the heads and making the tvs fit, so I will be adding the Maggie, I thought the cam would be a good addition and give me an opportunity to check and upgrade the springs, valve train etc I am now at 90,000miles

The mods I will be adding are below, anything else I should add or missing?
    Magnusson MP112
    LS9 Cam
    Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade
    Texas Speed Dual Valve Springs
    Cloyes/C5R timing chain
    LS2 Throttle Body/Harness

How can it be the tune? this was the same tuner who previously tuned it. I took it back to him with the new throttle body and he updated the tune with the new throttle body. The only delta was the throttle body unless I'm missing something
    Do you know how far off the tune was after changing the throttle body? just curious.

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Thanks guys, I dont want to go through the hassle of pulling the heads and making the tvs fit, so I will be adding the Maggie, I thought the cam would be a good addition and give me an opportunity to check and upgrade the springs, valve train etc I am now at 90,000miles

Magnusson MP112
    LS9 Cam
    Cloyes/C5R timing chain
    Most would say oil pump, while your there.

Johnson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2000 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tommy compton View Post
    Most would say oil pump, while your there.
    Any suggestions? Katech? Melling? Is there one vendor that carries everything for our cars or do I need to piece this together from different vendors.

I would also invest in a quality aftermarket balancer. The stock ones suck and they suck worse when they are already pinned.

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

I went with Melling hi pressure, you can get all your after at texas speed, minus the ls9 cam (they could probably get one for you?)
    Katech are known for their pumps too, but I opted for Melling because I was already getting parts from Texas speed.

danrob0123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 RAVEN CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post

Magnusson MP112
    LS9 Cam
    Cloyes/C5R timing chain
    I think this is a given but pushrods? Everything else sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by izcain
    I would also invest in a quality aftermarket balancer. The stock ones suck and they suck worse when they are already pinned.
    I agree... Might as well get the Innovators West overdrive balancer... Their pinning kit is easy to install too

Quote Originally Posted by izcain View Post
    Do you know how far off the tune was after changing the throttle body? just curious.
    Drove it to the tuner with the new throttle body and no new tune. It ran great so I assume it didn't need much adjusting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.