Using Katech Short Shifter/ Driveshaft shop driveshaft together; Problems???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By rand49er
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Using Katech Short Shifter/ Driveshaft shop driveshaft together; Problems??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Evening guys.....Ive had my certified GM mechanic install a Katech short shifter & a brand new aluminum Driveshaft from THE ...
    Cadillac_Stokes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Using Katech Short Shifter/ Driveshaft shop driveshaft together; Problems???

Evening guys.....Ive had my certified GM mechanic install a Katech short shifter & a brand new aluminum Driveshaft from THE DRIVESHAFT SHOP....after the install...i noticed that i cannot go into 3rd gear when driving and seems like something that rotates (thinking something driveshaft related), is rubbing against linkage connected to the shifter when i try to engage. Does anyone know of any issues when using these types mods together at all? Haven't had a chance to put it on the lift yet to see whats going on cause it was done yesterday....wont be able to till Monday. Just wondering what i could look for if anybody has experience with this.....I appreciate the response from you all.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Using Katech Short Shifter/ Driveshaft shop driveshaft together; Problems???

PISNUOFF or Fuzzylogic might be able to put their finger on this. This'll serve as a.

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Using Katech Short Shifter/ Driveshaft shop driveshaft together; Problems???

Sounds like the bottom of the center shift linkage is hitting the driveshaft. It makes sense that it does it in third gear as that is centered laterally and the furthest rearward. The first thing to check is the orientation on the pivot cup housing. It is the two-piece nylon assembly inside the console. If you orient the 'relief' towards the bottom of the car it will raise the shifter about 3/16". I suppose you could also shim down the trans crossmember which would lower the trans and driveshaft. That would be my last resort.

If that doesn't help, I can make you a shifter that is a little shorter under the pivot and won't hit.

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

^ This. I have a shifter from PISNUOFF and a 3.5" driveshaft...zero rubbing issues.

Thanks guys.....You guys just don't know how ANXIOUS i am to really drive this car after replacing Motor mounts,Tranny mount, Diff mount, Clutch, Flywheel AND Driveshaft....all at once! Cha-Ching! $$$ Gonna see tomorrow if my mechanic would be willing to try the shim the crossmember.....or grind the bottom the shifter or something........if it doesn't work or he's not willing to do....PISNUOFF get ready to make a couple of dollars! CANNOT go back to the factory shifter! #OhHellNO!

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

i have CS MM, stock trans mount and katech SS. DSS 2 piece DS and no rubbing no problems

I have a one piece shaft.....i guess thats the difference.... Is there anything better about having a two piece-vs- a 1 piece setup?

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

i have a katech STS and 1 piece with CS tranny mount. had to install 2 washers on the tranny crossbrace for clearance.

working with katech now. removing .15 of bottom. should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by verywhitedevil View Post
    i have a katech STS and 1 piece with CS tranny mount. had to install 2 washers on the tranny crossbrace for clearance.

working with katech now. removing .15 of bottom. should do the trick.
    Going to see about this in an hr or so...Hope he doesn't wanna do everything "by the Book"...thanks a lot Devil!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.