Cutting Rear Springs, leveling the V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By FuzzyLogic
  • 2 Post By RippyPartsDept
  • 4 Post By rand49er
  • 2 Post By WesH8398
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Cutting Rear Springs, leveling the V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys it has been a while since I posted and I have done a fair amount of reading about ...
    Driftwood420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 V stock, silver on black

Cutting Rear Springs, leveling the V

Hey guys it has been a while since I posted and I have done a fair amount of reading about lowering springs, GC, MM and all that JAZZ. I would love to lower my car but really don't want to sacrifice the ride as I DD my car in the city most of the time and would have to worry about speed bumps, pot holes and steep driveways way too often. Also I am on 274/40/18 all the way around so tucking the front is not an option. Truth be told I would like to drop about .5" in the front and 1.25 " in the rear but that sounds like a lot of trouble ($$$). The path I am planning is to lower the rear .75" to get an equal fender lip to top of the wheel distance or equal fender gap. I plan to do this by cutting the rear springs and installing a spacer similar to MM if needed.
    I have read about people hating there cut springs but that seemed like a everyone was talking about the front. I am thinking I will need to cut less than 1 coil and make MM spacers .5" - .75".
    Are MM spacers 1" if so should I go with about half of that?
    Anybody got any cool math to tell me how much to cut the springs? I was thinking of taking perch measurements on ramps and the removing the springs and shocks and jacking the wheel into position and re-measuring. Loading up the spring back in the car) and measuring where to cut it. Any input?

Can I accomplish my lift level goals (.5" in the front and 1.25 " in the rear) with G.C. then I could djust lower once I need 2 new tires, this thing is hell on back tires. I can take a little stiffer ride but I do not want to ruin the Caddy feel.

I will probably cut the springs first even if I end up with GC. I am pretty hard headed.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Cutting Rear Springs, leveling the V

Wouldn't that sacrifice the ride quality you don't want to give up since it's a DD? Cutting springs usually makes the ride harsher but I don't know what MM spacer you're talking about.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

I think I just had a flashback to the days when Cadillac was synonymous with huge, slow, and floaty.
    Bill Rubeck and Bill Rubeck like this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by alradco View Post
    Wouldn't that sacrifice the ride quality you don't want to give up since it's a DD? Cutting springs usually makes the ride harsher but I don't know what MM spacer you're talking about.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Just remember, if you measure the compressed length of the spring and cut it down by, say, 1.5" to get your drop, you'll get a greater drop since the spring will actually compress to a shorter length because you've cut out some of the spring using that (erroneous) method.

I wouldn't do it.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Don't cut your springs. Especially the rears. I tried that and the ride was TERRIBLE. Not just harsh, but VERY unstable feeling. And I only cut one coil off.

I have a number of lowering-related threads (which also address plus-sized wheels & tires) that you would find VERY useful. A few are posted here, but I think most are over at ls1 tech (same username, minus the "h"). Have a read of those and most of your questions should be answered. Only thing that definitely isn't addressed is the 275's in the front. You're not going to be able to lower much, if anything, with that size tire up there. Steering and suspension travel make it next to impossible not to be rubbing somewhere sometime. It's just an opinion, but I don't see any reason to have 275's up front on a DD. It just complicates things. Putting them on the rear helps put the power to the ground and also looks a lot cooler from behind the car, so that's certainly justifiable. The front, not so much. Just my opinion tho.

AFTER you read all those threads, shoot me a PM (here or there) if you have any further questions that I might be able to help out with.

Bill Rubeck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I agree, do not cut coils or springs unless you know exactly what you are doing. I have seen so much problems created by guys Modding their suspension. ( I work at dealership). The engineers that designed your suspension designed it to work at full length, not modded to your height "spec". Buy parts designed for your vehicle to do what you need or want. Some guys are very good at modding their own parts, but ALOT are not...just My opinion, as always.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.