9 inch vs 8.8...if you have one of these come in here........
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 9 inch vs 8.8...if you have one of these come in here........ in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok, i know there are tons of threads about these 2 rear ends, but not a lot mention what people ...
    ITSAV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

9 inch vs 8.8...if you have one of these come in here........

Ok, i know there are tons of threads about these 2 rear ends, but not a lot mention what people thought after they bought it and have put some serious miles on them.

What have been your experiences with your rear end?

I blew my driveshaft, and when I found out it would be at least 900 to replace I decided to start looking at a whole rear kit. My car is nothing special, its got a decent size cam, heads, and full exhaust.

I am trying to decide whether to go 9 inch or 8.8. Originally I was thinking 9 purely for the fact of having a lifetime warranty. But after reading some recent threads, I hear they do have a warranty, but it is an absolute pain to get the parts to you, as far as waiting time goes.

There is no point on a lifetime warranty if my car is constantly sitting on jack stands waiting for parts.

So again, please tell me what you think about your rear end, likes and dislikes

Thanks guys!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

silentwig is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: 9 inch vs 8.8...if you have one of these come in here........

You mention your driveshaft took a crap. How many miles are on your diff and what do you normally use your car for?

runsfromdacops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V built 383. 875/860RW pump/met
    Ilove my CS 8.8. It was the 1st thing I bought for my car. It showed up in under a month complet and ready to bolt in. The drive shaft and axels are from DSS and are both very nice pieces. I have no drive train vibrations at all. And to top it all of the thing is bomb proof.
    A 9" is such a waste on our cars

Quote Originally Posted by silentwig View Post
    You mention your driveshaft took a crap. How many miles are on your diff and what do you normally use your car for?
    My car currently has 78k on it....and its on the stock 05 dif and I have another car I drive as well, so usually when I drive it, I have a good time in it. I wouldn't say I beat on it real bad. Honestly, its more that I just have absolutely horrible luck. I can just see myself replacing this, and than all of a sudden something else in my rear end would blow.

silentwig is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Honestly I'm just a cheap bastard so Id probably just replace the DS and call it good. Even if your diff took a crap, you'd still be under what the 8.8 kit costs. 8.8 would be advantageous if your an avid track person or your putting down some serious hp. Just drive it till it breaks. I don't think you could get much money for a 05 diff with 78k if you sold it; not really the optimal choice for replacement for someone as everyone searching for used is looking for the latest part number.

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    If you're going to do a complete swap I'd stick with the 8.8" kit... Why go 9" when the shitty half shafts are pretty much the same... They will break before the center section does

jmargo is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

There are only a few V-1's running around that would exceed the power an unbuilt 8.8 would handle. 9in is just expensive overkill....heck 8.8 is overkill for most.

thanks for everyone's response I think I will be going 8.8 when its all said and done....waiting for the last bit of money to come in to pay for it.....the 9 is on sale for 5900, and the 8.8 for 4150, i think I will use the rest for a set of coilovers to go on the car.....

izcain is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V

Anything will break if you beat on it hard enough.

8.8 here and I like parts being easy to get ahold of. I can pull it out on the lift rebuild it and have it back up and going for not alot of money not to mention the gear ratios are open for all kinds of driving!

Not really comparing apples to oranges but I have a moser 9 inch in my drag car and with the previous engine (right at 600rwp to the tire) I would go thru a set of axles each season due to twisting them up like a pretzel. These were 31 spline moser forged axles.

I think either one will perform nicely and work well in these cars for holding the power!

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

i have been DD'n my w/8.8 for 10k miles.. Worth every penny, no pinion lash, best mod i have ever done and only took 8hrs or so to do. no cutting no welding plug and play w/ the built DSS axles, wide range of gear choices, aftermarket parts widely available like stronger covers and better bushings, almost zero extra vibs but i did have to drop $4k (total including fluids) on a non go-fast part

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I love my CS 8.8 and I still know of no one breaking one. Get the partial kit with out the rear end and source your own if you can. The partial kit I think is like 2900$ ish? I can get the diff, trac lok carrier and 3.73 gears from a junk yard in one shot for 100$ then 100$ for a rebuild kit 120$ for new carbon fiber clutches and then 200$ for someone to assemble it for you puts the cost at 3420$ total. So - your 900$ shaft and 600$ from selling your diff =1920$. Still a chunk of change, but then you never have to worry about it. Just my 2 cents. But if you can wait of find a cheap used drive shaft (from someone doing their 8.8 swap) I know 54 and gulf are doing their budget 8.8 build which should be producing results in several months or less.

As far as the 9" goes....for 6k....I hope you have plans of dumping 20k into the motor and chassis. otherwise....why?

Hammar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

I broke my rear end after putting in a CS 8.8".

That said, Max and Kristie were 100% on top of it and fixed my problem (it was my fault...) right away. I broke it at the track on drag radials, with massive wheel hop off the line. The part that broke..... my stock outer axle. I called that same day (~9pm on a Saturday). They had the wheels rolling for me first thing Monday and I was back on the road in ~2 weeks. Including shipping my axles out to be re-worked.

Once you step up to 8.8", the axles and trans, and clutch are much more prone to break. By the time you'd 'need' a 9", you'll have $5k+ in the trans and goodness knows how much in the motor to make enough power. I'd sure suggest you call Max, he'll take care of you

I have ~20k miles on my 8.8 now, no complaints.

Hammar
    maggied 2005 V
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

How does having a stronger differential make it easier to break your axles and transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    How does having a stronger differential make it easier to break your axles and transmission?
    im assuming cause it wont break....as it is now, most likely dif is the first thing to break....but if that is fixed, than it will just go to the next weakest link
    shadybx7 and shadybx7 like this.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ITSAV View Post
    im assuming cause it wont break....as it is now, most likely dif is the first thing to break....but if that is fixed, than it will just go to the next weakest link
    this. plus the fact that you will probably develop a higher tolerance for wheelhop and accelerating over rough terrain, etc. because you no longer fear grenading your diff. you will then grenade your axles, etc. transmission doesn't follow, though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.