What to do with no more FG2's? Suggestions please.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Manofmetal01
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, What to do with no more FG2's? Suggestions please. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I called Lindsay Cadillac to get a quote on a set of FG2's to replace mine. At first they said ...
    Motown Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Silver V Sport Susp.

What to do with no more FG2's? Suggestions please.

I called Lindsay Cadillac to get a quote on a set of FG2's to replace mine. At first they said $2030.00, after i caught my breath and inquired again, the guy said "oh no they cost nothing, because they're discontinued". So then I emailed GMPP. They had them online for $1100. After I emailed them explaining what Lindsay had said they emailed me back saying the same...discontinued. So if you all could give some advice, I'd appreciate it. Is there a set of shocks out there that surpass FG2's? I'm more concerned about performance than comfort. I'm not into bone jarring feeling though as this will be a somewhat daily driver. Fun on the streets, serious on the track (if it exists). Also, do I need to change springs as well? Is coil over an option your experiences welcomed. I have 124K on it and want to rebuild suspension first.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: What to do with no more FG2's? Suggestions please.

Your first option is the FE4s, which are better matched to your stock springs than FG2s anyway. With Hotchkis sways you can eliminate a good part of the body roll in corners. You can also run FE4s up front with FG2s on the rear since your rear FG2s may have outlasted your fronts.

Another option would be the FE4s, Hotchkis sways, and a ground control setup to lower the car and bring in some spring alternatives.

The next option I would look to would be the KW coilover setup which is good for both street and track and rebuildable. These can go for a good while between rebuilds.

Finally, I would look at the LG Motorsports coilovers, which are more track-orineted but will likely require annual rebuilding.

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    search much?

I went with KW Var 3s which are a fully adjustable coilover. From the research ive done, these are like an entry level race shock. I cant give you any feedback though as im still waiting on back ordered sway bars to install at the same time.

I believe others were using FG4s (?)
    PISNUOFF and PISNUOFF like this.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Or you can buy used.

Thanks for the replies, but buying used is a crapshoot. You are taking somebodies word on mileage. I was of the mindset that the FG2's was the best street set up by GM. I will swap but wanted to know that a swap was indeed better and more aggressive than getting replacement shocks/struts.

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Cad View Post
    I called Lindsay Cadillac to get a quote on a set of FG2's to replace mine. At first they said $2030.00, after i caught my breath and inquired again, the guy said "oh no they cost nothing, because they're discontinued". So then I emailed GMPP. They had them online for $1100. After I emailed them explaining what Lindsay had said they emailed me back saying the same...discontinued. So if you all could give some advice, I'd appreciate it. Is there a set of shocks out there that surpass FG2's? I'm more concerned about performance than comfort. I'm not into bone jarring feeling though as this will be a somewhat daily driver. Fun on the streets, serious on the track (if it exists). Also, do I need to change springs as well? Is coil over an option your experiences welcomed. I have 124K on it and want to rebuild suspension first.
    I have a set of FG2's still in the factory box, front struts and rear shocks! bought them and have not installed them "Brand New" I'll sell them for 1100 bucks, Let me know

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

qa1 with ground control is also an option.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Your first option is the FE4s, which are better matched to your stock springs than FG2s anyway. With Hotchkis sways you can eliminate a good part of the body roll in corners. You can also run FE4s up front with FG2s on the rear since your rear FG2s may have outlasted your fronts.

Another option would be the FE4s, Hotchkis sways, and a ground control setup to lower the car and bring in some spring alternatives.
    Darkman (and all)

I went with FG2's again (special thx to V 4 Vktry). Is there a progressive rate spring that can be inserted in place of stock springs that is better matched to the FG2's?

I'll go with Hotchkis kit too as well as all the Revshift bushings I can put in there and CS bushings too (if I could ever get their website to load).

And stupid question time. Aren't the front struts coil overs already in stock form? Thanks for the time.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I don't know of any progressive spring alternatives, but I have not looked extensively. Most folks have gone to a Ground Control setup to access alternative spring rates for FG2s.

The stock springs used in conjunction with the FG2s works well enough on smooth roads and smooth/fast tracks. That combination runs into trouble over rough pavement where it cannot keep the tires in contact with the road. So whether you need to "fix it" depends on where you intend to use the car.

I would call the stock front setup a true coilover, but there might be some technical distinction that I am missing.

Ok Thanks! I started thinking that I wanted to see what I had missed buying such a high mileage V. So since I'm keeping this for life, I have time to see what it was like brand new (shock wise) before I turn it into a canyon carver. Also to exercise an old racing adage, "there's not much sense in building HP if you can keep it planted". So, it's suspension first, then maybe some HP later.

Luckily there are no rough pavement roads or bumps where I drive or in my life (at the moment) so I'm looking good then. Thanks Darkman.

By the way, V for victory's V looks like it came right out of the bath. Super shiny and wet. He's got it going down with some type of "sealer"?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    ... KW Var 3s ...
    Part no.? Link?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Thanks for the compliments MoTown, it was good meeting you and the wifey. Hope your ride home was smooth and enjoyable, what a nice day out for a drive with your new four friends in the back seat, hehe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.