Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Upgraded Dual Fans for the CTS-V

13K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Sigfod 
#1 ·
I'd like to get some input from you guys regarding the factory fans. We've been asked a few times about upgraded dual fans for the 04-07 CTS-V. I'm curious what you guys think in terms of this upgrade? I think most of us will agree that the V runs to the hot side and is designed that way from the factory. I think the first fan turns on at something like 215*?

There's not a lot of room but we should be able to get some better fans in there. I've attached a picture of a dual fan kit we already offer for another vehicle. We use Spal fans, everything is plug and play, shroud is aluminum, and we have it powder coated in black as well as others.

Thoughts and opinions on this or do you think it's a waste of time? Thanks for your input.

Peter

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have an aftermarket radiator and a tune that triggers the fans at a lower temperature so I don't have a temperature issue.

I might be interested anyway because I have a clearance issue. Specifically, the stock fan shroud allows the radiator hose to encroach on the fan space and I cut up one hose before I clearanced the passenger-side fan. So my question would be - is the upgraded fan unit any "thinner" than stock. I like the look of the fan shroud as it looks like it would serve to prevent my potential radiator-hose encroachment problem.

#4 ·
I don't have issues with my heat mainly from a lower T-stat and lower turn on temperatures via HP tuners. That said I would be interested in a new fan setup, especially if you could package it with your radiator. My biggest concern like Fuzzy and Darkman is clearance, currently trying to figure out how to get a 4" intake tube to fit with my factory setup.

#10 ·
I concur that a thinner design than the oem would be awesome. With your radiator and my supercharger things are getting very tight under the hood.

#11 ·
In for more clearance. I have the RD radiator.

#12 ·
The biggest cost factor would be the fans. What diameter are the stock fans and how thick is the shroud/fan currently? We sell the black shroud/fans pictured above for $379, just as an example.

A radiator with over the top clearance for intake is not out of the question although we would need to do some kind of of pre-sale group buy for them. Thanks everyone for the input so far.

Peter

#17 ·
We might need to split this off into two threads later on but I don't mind the discussion at all. Seems there is some interest in the fans so someone please get me the measurements I need.

As far as the radiator being designed for over the top clearance. See the attached pic. That's an Alradco radiator in a CTSV. I'm not seeing much room for an over the top intake.

To answer the other question, yes we can provide pipe, clamps, etc.

Attachments

#19 ·
Can you tell me what measurements you need exactly?

#24 ·
Overall thickness of shroud with fans. And diameter of fans. With that info I can start looking at fan options. Thank you.

----------

It would have to be smaller or with a U taken out if the top. They did something like that for the CTS-VR

View attachment 104460
Does that car have a stock hood? How about condenser? As well as other braces, etc? If all that's required is a shorter radiator it would be easy but I don't think that's the case?? It's been a long time since I've been under the hood so I'm not quite sure.

I posted earlier seeing how close you were to me. If you were close enough I would be willing to meet up with you so you could take measurements.
Thanks very much. But the measurements are very simple since we already have the radiator. All I need for now is shroud thickness with fans mounted and diameter of fans. Thanks again.

The next trick after the radiator is how to get it down in front of the radiator efficiently to get filters in there. looking at my car quickly, i think you have to go out form the throttle body, quickly do to the mass air sensor, then fan out widely over the radiator, then split into two pipes to go on either side of the hood mount and run two smaller filters. While conceptually i like the idea I am not sure that you are really going to gain as much we would like. (unless you could do a really deep U, or have a hole in the middle of the radiator... to get below the hood latch release)

The better plan may be radiator clearance to allow a more gradual entry into the throttle body.
I thought about the hole or big U too. But then you need a new shroud, a/c condenser, and if anything else is in the way. Also would have to factor in sticking a large air intake directly in front of the radiator and what that can potentially do to air flow to the radiator.

----------

Also looking at that pic of the CTS-VR, it appears the engine is further back? Look at how much room there is between the radiator and pulleys. Or am I seeing it wrong?

#23 ·
The next trick after the radiator is how to get it down in front of the radiator efficiently to get filters in there. looking at my car quickly, i think you have to go out form the throttle body, quickly do to the mass air sensor, then fan out widely over the radiator, then split into two pipes to go on either side of the hood mount and run two smaller filters. While conceptually i like the idea I am not sure that you are really going to gain as much we would like. (unless you could do a really deep U, or have a hole in the middle of the radiator... to get below the hood latch release)

The better plan may be radiator clearance to allow a more gradual entry into the throttle body.

#25 ·
I simply do not understand the fascination with an over the top intake tract. What will this provide over and above placing the air inlet behind the drivers headlamp or even from the fender well?

Anyhow, would absolutely love to have an Alradco for my V, however I don;t think it will fit since the E-Force puts the throttle body right where the top tank looks to extend. Would the upgraded fans be able to mount to the OE radiator?

#26 ·
Post a picture of your engine bay, I'd like to see it. On the engine bay side our radiator comes out about 1/4" more than the stock radiator. Or order one and if doesn't fit you can send it back. We did the same thing on a supercharged V to see if it fit and it did.

#28 ·
Yeah the CTS-VR has the engine set way back. Plus with hood pins you don't have to deal with the hood latch right in the middle of the intake.

I agree with alradco that this is a much larger undertaking than I think any of us really would want to do (or at least enough to sell and make money on the radiator)

I simply do not understand the fascination with an over the top intake tract. What will this provide over and above placing the air inlet behind the drivers headlamp or even from the fender well?
Depending on if you think the stock intake ads any restriction (hence loss of power) the over the radiator intake provides a nice clear shot to the throttle body (less restriction, more power) plus picking up the air in front of the radiator should give the coolest air you can get and somewhat of a "ram air" effect

#32 ·
Whats the CFM of your fans over the stock ones?

I just swapped my second fan blade from a 7 to a 5. Will give it a try.

If we are able to find fan motors that are more powerful like 200W over the 160W i think we can fix our problem...

You need more air flow to solve our heat issue which means more revs and ultimately more powerful motors...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.