Upgraded Dual Fans for the CTS-V - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Upgraded Dual Fans for the CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by alradco The biggest cost factor would be the fans. What diameter are the stock fans and how ...
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Upgraded Dual Fans for the CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by alradco View Post
    The biggest cost factor would be the fans. What diameter are the stock fans and how thick is the shroud/fan currently? We sell the black shroud/fans pictured above for $379, just as an example.

A radiator with over the top clearance for intake is not out of the question although we would need to do some kind of of pre-sale group buy for them. Thanks everyone for the input so far.

Peter
    Peter, do you have ball-park estimate for what a rad with over-the-top clearance would cost? Also, do you think you could also provide the other hardware necessary to run an intake pipe over there? For example, pipe, clamps, filter, baffle, wiring extension for MAF, etc. Let me know if you want to start a separate thread about this.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

We might need to split this off into two threads later on but I don't mind the discussion at all. Seems there is some interest in the fans so someone please get me the measurements I need.

As far as the radiator being designed for over the top clearance. See the attached pic. That's an Alradco radiator in a CTSV. I'm not seeing much room for an over the top intake.

To answer the other question, yes we can provide pipe, clamps, etc.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Peter, do you have ball-park estimate for what a rad with over-the-top clearance would cost?
    Sorry I missed this one. It's hard to say. The initial build quantity as well as down the road volume dictate that more than anything else. I will tell you this. I'm a car guy myself and I've had to pay the "Corvette tax" as well as paying the price for mods for having cars like that. I hated feeling like I was getting gouged. I'm not interested in selling $700+ radiators, that's why our CTS-V radiators are around $400, pretty close to the stock plastic stocker, and much cheaper than anything comparable. If there is enough demand and the design works, cost could be right along the lines of what we're already doing.

Hope that helps.

Peter

OneFast V is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Can you tell me what measurements you need exactly?

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

It would have to be smaller or with a U taken out if the top. They did something like that for the CTS-VR

IMG_1731.jpg

We might need to split this off into two threads later on but I don't mind the discussion at all. Seems there is some interest in the fans so someone please get me the measurements I need.

As far as the radiator being designed for over the top clearance. See the attached pic. That's an Alradco radiator in a CTSV. I'm not seeing much room for an over the top intake.

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

I posted earlier seeing how close you were to me. If you were close enough I would be willing to meet up with you so you could take measurements.

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

It would have to be smaller or with a U taken out if the top. They did something like that for the CTS-VR

Attachment 104460
    That would be killer!

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

The next trick after the radiator is how to get it down in front of the radiator efficiently to get filters in there. looking at my car quickly, i think you have to go out form the throttle body, quickly do to the mass air sensor, then fan out widely over the radiator, then split into two pipes to go on either side of the hood mount and run two smaller filters. While conceptually i like the idea I am not sure that you are really going to gain as much we would like. (unless you could do a really deep U, or have a hole in the middle of the radiator... to get below the hood latch release)

The better plan may be radiator clearance to allow a more gradual entry into the throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    Can you tell me what measurements you need exactly?
    Overall thickness of shroud with fans. And diameter of fans. With that info I can start looking at fan options. Thank you.

----------

Attachment 104460
    Does that car have a stock hood? How about condenser? As well as other braces, etc? If all that's required is a shorter radiator it would be easy but I don't think that's the case?? It's been a long time since I've been under the hood so I'm not quite sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    I posted earlier seeing how close you were to me. If you were close enough I would be willing to meet up with you so you could take measurements.
    Thanks very much. But the measurements are very simple since we already have the radiator. All I need for now is shroud thickness with fans mounted and diameter of fans. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Gurney View Post
    The next trick after the radiator is how to get it down in front of the radiator efficiently to get filters in there. looking at my car quickly, i think you have to go out form the throttle body, quickly do to the mass air sensor, then fan out widely over the radiator, then split into two pipes to go on either side of the hood mount and run two smaller filters. While conceptually i like the idea I am not sure that you are really going to gain as much we would like. (unless you could do a really deep U, or have a hole in the middle of the radiator... to get below the hood latch release)

The better plan may be radiator clearance to allow a more gradual entry into the throttle body.
    I thought about the hole or big U too. But then you need a new shroud, a/c condenser, and if anything else is in the way. Also would have to factor in sticking a large air intake directly in front of the radiator and what that can potentially do to air flow to the radiator.

----------

Also looking at that pic of the CTS-VR, it appears the engine is further back? Look at how much room there is between the radiator and pulleys. Or am I seeing it wrong?

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

I simply do not understand the fascination with an over the top intake tract. What will this provide over and above placing the air inlet behind the drivers headlamp or even from the fender well?

Anyhow, would absolutely love to have an Alradco for my V, however I don;t think it will fit since the E-Force puts the throttle body right where the top tank looks to extend. Would the upgraded fans be able to mount to the OE radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    I simply do not understand the fascination with an over the top intake tract. What will this provide over and above placing the air inlet behind the drivers headlamp or even from the fender well?

Anyhow, would absolutely love to have an Alradco for my V, however I don;t think it will fit since the E-Force puts the throttle body right where the top tank looks to extend. Would the upgraded fans be able to mount to the OE radiator?
    Post a picture of your engine bay, I'd like to see it. On the engine bay side our radiator comes out about 1/4" more than the stock radiator. Or order one and if doesn't fit you can send it back. We did the same thing on a supercharged V to see if it fit and it did.

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Peter-

I could meet you at your Concord location for measurements. I have your radiator in my car.

Brad

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Yeah the CTS-VR has the engine set way back. Plus with hood pins you don't have to deal with the hood latch right in the middle of the intake.

I agree with alradco that this is a much larger undertaking than I think any of us really would want to do (or at least enough to sell and make money on the radiator)

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Depending on if you think the stock intake ads any restriction (hence loss of power) the over the radiator intake provides a nice clear shot to the throttle body (less restriction, more power) plus picking up the air in front of the radiator should give the coolest air you can get and somewhat of a "ram air" effect

Quote Originally Posted by BradCTSV View Post
    Peter-

I could meet you at your Concord location for measurements. I have your radiator in my car.

Brad
    I appreciate that Brad and will probably take you up on it in the future but all I need for now is just the thickness of the shroud with fans. If you can measure that, it would be great. Thank you.

Peter

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

The shroud is 3.5" thick and the back of the fans add a bit more about 3/8" approx. I had a hard time getting the exact measurement that 3/8"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.