New to Community, any advice helps. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, New to Community, any advice helps. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by DMM I would advise against Royal Purple. I had a brand new GEN IV rear installed under ...
    Código_Velocé is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V (Gen-1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMM
    I would advise against Royal Purple. I had a brand new GEN IV rear installed under warranty and I changed the fluid after break in using Royal Purple and had nothing but problems. It would chatter at low speeds when going straight and was much worse making turns or during parking lot maneuvers. Changed it again with Redline (within 2k miles) and never had another problem at all.

The Redline product was noticeably better than the Royal Purple...you could feel the difference in lubricity just rubbing your fingers together with it.

The rust on the hubs and splines has plagued GM for some time now. As I stated, GM advised to use a small file to chase each spline before reassembly...this was on the older C4 Corvettes though. GM also had a problem with the splines of the slip yoke sticking to the transfer case output shaft that would result in a "thud" during initial acceleration on the '99 Yukon's and Tahoe's. The "official" fix from GM (per TSB) was to change the transfer case fluid with auto-trak II; however, if you didn't pull the drive shaft and chase the splines you'd have a come-back waiting for you in less than thirty days.

Off topic I know, but this has been a running problem for GM.
    Good to know. I will definitely drain the Royal Purple out and look for Red Line. When adding the Red Line to the Diff, does it require an additive? I appreciate all the info you guys have given me, really appreciate it. :Now to look for some Red Line:

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: New to Community, any advice helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Código_Velocé View Post
    Good to know. I will definitely drain the Royal Purple out and look for Red Line. When adding the Red Line to the Diff, does it require an additive? I appreciate all the info you guys have given me, really appreciate it. :Now to look for some Red Line:
    The Red Line already contains the friction modifier: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=133&pcid=4

NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

Here's the thread I started on a similar issue, but I noticed that you're calling it a clicking noise, when mine was a distinct pop:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...shop-says.html

The link to the most descriptive video is broken, I reuploaded the video again here -->

You can hear 3 distinct pops at 0:19, 0:21 and 0:23.

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

If the axle nut is properly torqued how is it moving and popping ?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    ... You can hear 3 distinct pops at 0:19, 0:21 and 0:23.
    Is this the rusted spline issue and now it's fixed or is this still lingering? Not knowing anything else, I'd be looking at the CVs, too.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.