Questions about clutch replacement for 04 CTS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Questions about clutch replacement for 04 CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have an 04 CTS-V that I bought at 40k miles. I do not know if the original owner replaced ...
    Jalyousef is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Questions about clutch replacement for 04 CTS-V

I have an 04 CTS-V that I bought at 40k miles. I do not know if the original owner replaced any clutch parts or not before I had purchased it. I now have 75k miles on it, and have not really noticed anything wrong with the clutch, however it is a little more difficult as far as shifting goes, especially reverse.

I'm wondering what are some signs of my clutch needing to be replaced? I've been thinking about buying the whole LS7 clutch kit, but don't want to do it if it's not needed.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Questions about clutch replacement for 04 CTS-V

Have you bled the clutch fluid?
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I doubt you need a clutch. But, there are two things you could do that may help you. First of all, check your hydraulic clutch fluid level. These cars are notorious for losing clutch fluid making shifting less than it can be. You could go one step further and have it replaced and bled. If you're still having problems, there are bushings that can be replaced in the linkage. There's a thread floating around by Cadzilla that is the most inclusive shifter bushing thread I've ever seen. Truly amazing.

To check your clutch, drive about 50-ish MPH in sixth gear. Push the clutch pedal in, rev the motor slightly, then let the clutch back out somewhat abruptly. If it grabs with a jerk, then it's good. If it only slowly engages, your clutch is on its way out.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

boomer06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    if you end up needing a new clutch i have the stock clutch out of an 07 V that the guy gave me whenever i bought mine. shoot me a text if your interested. 512-815 nine four 35

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

If you do a new clutch, take a look at monster as I replaced mine with a LS7 set-up and hate where the pedal grabs,just off the floor sucks ass.

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Mn800r View Post
    If you do a new clutch, take a look at monster as I replaced mine with a LS7 set-up and hate where the pedal grabs,just off the floor sucks ass.
    Which Monster would you go with?
    Did you do the LS7 kit from Lindsey Cadillac?
    I have gear chatter and plan on getting a new flywheel, clutch, slave in the next few months

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Scott2012 View Post
    Which Monster would you go with?
    Did you do the LS7 kit from Lindsey Cadillac?
    I have gear chatter and plan on getting a new flywheel, clutch, slave in the next few months
    The forum members here that have installed Monster Stage 3 clutches have had problems. On the other hand those with lower stage Monster clutches have not reported the same problems. For expample:http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2-5-15lb.html

Manseeno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V (No Moonroof)

I have a Monster Level 1 that will be getting installed into my '04 soon (hopefully this week); I'll report back once it's in.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Your pedal never came up higher? I have an LS7 in mine and the pedal is perfect, I did bleed the heck out of it when I installed it.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Monster Stage 2 here, very happy with engagement position with LS7 slave and/or Monster slave (engage at same point, not at bottom, not at top). Not grabby, easy to start from stop. And much better performance than the stock clutch/flywheel.
    FoD and FoD like this.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

My oem clutch was still going strong at 120k miles. the Dual Mass flywheel on the other hand was clunking like crazy.

I replaced mine with the katech Twin Disk. It is expensive BUT you get OEM quality, and the performance of a twin disk. One of the best mods I've done to my car. It revs like crazy now. Was blown away by the difference. I should have done this mod a LONG time ago.

-Chris
    rand49er and rand49er like this.
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

WesH8398 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    Your pedal never came up higher? I have an LS7 in mine and the pedal is perfect, I did bleed the heck out of it when I installed it.
    Did you go with an OEM LS7 flywheel, or lightweight? What'd ya think of the upgrade? Can you feel a difference?

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If you over-torqued your pressure plate bolts, the fingers on the pressure plate will retract inwards and you'll always be stuck with an "on-the-floor" disengagement point. If I had to guess, you followed the LS7 Z06 user's manual, which specifies 15 lb-ft, 37 lb-ft, and 74 lb-ft star bolt sequencing (if you used torque specs at all).

Through testing, I found that the LS7 pressure plate fingers begin to move inward right after you cross the 50 lb-ft threshold. At 74 ft-lbs, those fingers have retracted so far inwards that you'll be lucky to get the clutch disengaged at all. After having the transmission in and out of the car 7 times in the summer of 2010, I discovered that the stock CTS-V 52 ft-lb torque specification was just about perfect for the LS7 clutch swap.

I recommend using blue locktite and torquing your pressure plate bolts to 50 ft-lb. I've been running that way for 12,000 miles with zero problems. Since I'm about to replace this clutch with a McLeod RXT, I can also provide exit data on the outgoing LS7 clutch, if requested.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    ... After having the transmission in and out of the car 7 times in the summer of 2010 ...
    Fuzzy, you and a couple of other guys on here (PISNUOFF is one) amaze me with your tenacity on this stuff. My patience would've worn thin after the second time.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Fuzzy, you and a couple of other guys on here (PISNUOFF is one) amaze me with your tenacity on this stuff. My patience would've worn thin after the second time.
    This is my only car. So, for me, it's not a question of "do I want to get it exactly right"--I have to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.