Questions about clutch replacement for 04 CTS-V - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Questions about clutch replacement for 04 CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic This is my only car. So, for me, it's not a question of "do I want ...
    trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Re: Questions about clutch replacement for 04 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    This is my only car. So, for me, it's not a question of "do I want to get it exactly right"--I have to.
    WTG, on getting chit done right!

Why are you going McLeod instead of Katech? Just curious. The Katech will certainly give you great performance up to significant HP/TQ increases (way above where you and I are, and you can go with the R if you need to go really high). Is the McLeod significantly less expensive?

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Clutch Mustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now) <-- SOLD

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    WTG, on getting chit done right!

Why are you going McLeod instead of Katech? Just curious. The Katech will certainly give you great performance up to significant HP/TQ increases (way above where you and I are, and you can go with the R if you need to go really high). Is the McLeod significantly less expensive?

-Chris
    I believe that PISNUOFF utterly wrecked an OEM LS9 clutch on his 416 CID LS3, and given my ultimate 750 RWHP goal on a similar motor + cog-driven TVS2300, I didn't want to touch that clutch. Plus the McLeod is hudnreds of dollars cheaper. Pressure plate weight for both units is 13 lbs, but the McLeod is several inches smaller in diameter (lower moment of inertia). The McLeod is easily rebuildable and replacement friction discs are widely available.

Please skim the group buy thread (especially Post #4), and see if you have any follow-up questions.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...ic-clutch.html

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    I believe that PISNUOFF utterly wrecked an OEM LS9 clutch on his 416 CID LS3, and given my ultimate 750 RWHP goal on a similar motor + cog-driven TVS2300, I didn't want to touch that clutch. Plus the McLeod is hudnreds of dollars cheaper. Pressure plate weight for both units is 13 lbs, but the McLeod is several inches smaller in diameter (lower moment of inertia). The McLeod is easily rebuildable and replacement friction discs are widely available.

Please skim the group buy thread (especially Post #4), and see if you have any follow-up questions.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...ic-clutch.html
    LOL P-U-O wrecks everything DID he have a LS9 twin, or an LS7 single?

I can just go by my experience. At my power levels the LS9X is awesome. Can't tell any livability issues from stock, even with a lot less weight on the FW/Clutch combo. Haven't heard any issues with the guys going big with the LS9R heavier duty clutch.

Do you know off hand what the exact sizes of the LS9 twin disk as opposed to the McLeod twin disk? I *definately* felt a huge difference going from the boat anchor stock clutch flywheel, to the smaller diameter and much less weight Katech solution, so I can appreciate your want and wish to go with less weight *and* smaller diameter.

Bottom line is I've seem a lot of issues repoted on here over the years on non OEM clutches. Never heard any about Katech (until you pointed this out.)

Good luck with your build!

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Clutch Mustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Sounds like a collapsed transmission mount. Search for information on the revshift insert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalyousef View Post
    I have an 04 CTS-V that I bought at 40k miles. I do not know if the original owner replaced any clutch parts or not before I had purchased it. I now have 75k miles on it, and have not really noticed anything wrong with the clutch, however it is a little more difficult as far as shifting goes, especially reverse.

I'm wondering what are some signs of my clutch needing to be replaced? I've been thinking about buying the whole LS7 clutch kit, but don't want to do it if it's not needed.
    Thanks!

PISNUOFF Guest

Hahhaaha, I do wreck everything. The straps on two separate LS9 pressure plates broke on me with my 418. I went with the RPS twin which is a strapless design. It has held up for two years of my abuse. The discs are pretty worn down but nothing broke. There is a replacement pp and disc kit that is also readily available. I highly recommend staying away from a strapped design.

With my cammed LS2 I ran an LS7 clutch. Went through my first pp in about six months with many track days. It got to the point to where I couldn't push the pedal down at high rpms. The second one lasted 1.5 years and was still good when I removed it from service.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Pissinuoff... Is there anything on the car you haven't broken yet? Lol it seems like every thread I read someone always says... Ask PUO he broke that once.
    PISNUOFF and PISNUOFF like this.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Pissinuoff... Is there anything on the car you haven't broken yet? Lol it seems like every thread I read someone always says... Ask PUO he broke that once.
    I typed that into google and my computer crashed

BTW +1 on bleeding the fluid. PITA to get to though.
    FoD and FoD like this.

PISNUOFF Guest

I guess it's a good thing it doesn't bother me too much when stuff breaks. But....I didn't build it to look at it.

Manseeno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V (No Moonroof)

Quote Originally Posted by Manseeno View Post
    I have a Monster Level 1 that will be getting installed into my '04 soon (hopefully this week); I'll report back once it's in.
    Hi all, just reporting back as promised now that I'm about 350 miles into the 500 mile break-in; I can say I'm very happy with this clutch kit thus far. I'll go more in depth if anyone is interested; just let me know.

philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

I'm so confused on clutch replacement...seems hit or miss on the forums. Seems the light flywheel can cause engine shut off at idle...pedal stomp - dies. I thought the Monster level 3 looked pretty good. Then there is the OEM competition of using the LS7 kit. Just seems so fussy for something so simple.

Glad the Monster level 1 worked out - I believe that one is the stock replacement without margin for forced induction.

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

To the OP, I agree with Hamstar, the trouble getting into reverse sounds more like a sagging transmission mount. Well documented on here. 75k on a stock V clutch doesn't sound like much at all. I just turned 100k, with 80k maggied and 60k me driving. Stock clutch still going strong. My tires slip all the time, though.
    I have funds set aside for a clutch, and I was leaning to the Katech LS9 (since they're in town) but the McLeod thread has me thinking I could save some $$ going that route. I doubt Katech would want to install a McLeod, though, so I'd have to find someone else around here for the install.

Good luck, but I'd say you got another 25k miles + to go if you're not having clutch issues.

-PJ

Quote Originally Posted by PJGross View Post
    To the OP, I agree with Hamstar, the trouble getting into reverse sounds more like a sagging transmission mount. Well documented on here. 75k on a stock V clutch doesn't sound like much at all. I just turned 100k, with 80k maggied and 60k me driving. Stock clutch still going strong. My tires slip all the time, though.
    I have funds set aside for a clutch, and I was leaning to the Katech LS9 (since they're in town) but the McLeod thread has me thinking I could save some $$ going that route. I doubt Katech would want to install a McLeod, though, so I'd have to find someone else around here for the install.

Good luck, but I'd say you got another 25k miles + to go if you're not having clutch issues.

-PJ
    The OME clutch's last and last. The Dual Mass flywheel though, not so much.

I'll continue to go to bat for the Katech Clutch. OEM reliability/feel wiht twin disk performance. *ZERO* driveablity issues, even with the very light flywheel (proven in DC rush hour traffic). The only challenge is the price.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thinking about it for my 20k miles V2.

-Chris

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Bleed the clutch first.

If you have trouble getting into reverse, go to 4th gear, then shift into reverse. Works everytime for me.

Stage 3 Monster Clutch here. If you aren't going to add 500 HP on top of what you have now, stick with the Stage 2 and you'll be happy. Stage 3 is way overkill, and chatters since it's a puck style.

Here's my writeup:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...h-install.html

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    The OME clutch's last and last. The Dual Mass flywheel though, not so much.

I'll continue to go to bat for the Katech Clutch. OEM reliability/feel wiht twin disk performance. *ZERO* driveablity issues, even with the very light flywheel ... The only challenge is the price.

I would do it again in a heartbeat ...
    ^^^ Yeah all that. Love my Katech LS9 kit. I'd be willing to bet that ronr still loves his, too.

And don't pay any attention to that PISNUOFF guy! If he was a GM durability test driver, the dang car would've been built to last a million years the way the rest of us drive.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

04cts v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

400 miles on my Monster Level 2 with the light flywheel...works great and motor likes the weight reduction. No chatter and clutch feels close to stock....highly recommend Monster...great customer service too!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.