Any auto transmission options for our cars yet? (full manual valve body?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By thebigjimsho
  • 6 Post By rand49er
  • 2 Post By atdeneve
  • 4 Post By thebigjimsho
  • 2 Post By rand49er
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Any auto transmission options for our cars yet? (full manual valve body? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys, I havent been in the loop for a while as far as performance mods. I know a lot ...
    TheKid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Any auto transmission options for our cars yet? (full manual valve body?

Hey guys, I havent been in the loop for a while as far as performance mods. I know a lot of other cars have aftermarket options for a transmission swap like this and I thought it would be pretty sick having our V with an automatic full manual valve body. Im sure a lot of people on this forum know what Im talking about, but those that dont, im talking about an automatic transmission in your V with full control over all of the gears with no clutch(start off in first, shift to second by slapping the shifter up one, shifting instantaneously, 3rd gear, so on and so forth. Same for downshifting. Nothing like it. Maybe even throw a 3500 stall converter in for the street and youll be good to go. Anyone know anything about if this is possible? I know the regular cts' auto tranny sucks, but maybe it can be built to handle the horse in the V? Anyone know anyone that would do this? Im dead serious about this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Nope.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Any auto transmission options for our cars yet? (full manual valve body?

This is just wrong on so many levels.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

"This is just wrong on so many levels."

Can you please elaborate?

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Could have sworn this was brought up before. With about the same response. Thought it was an old post before I saw the dates.

Bottom line, you'll get no love for automatics here. Most V1 (first gen) owners are not concerned with drag strip performance. Of course, no one will shunt power mods - horsepower and torque is nothing to scoff at (until you reach a point where it becomes useless, because you're chassis is ish) - however, balancing it with improved chassis dynamics and handling so that a vehicle is, first and foremost, enjoyable throughout the whole friction circle is usually of higher priority than gaining a tenth in the quarter.

Also, most of us are not keen on losing the ability to row your own gears. Although, most are ready and willing to tighten up the linkages to improve on the experience.
    HAMSTAR and HAMSTAR like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Cam we spam here now?

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    Could have sworn this was brought up before. With about the same response. Thought it was an old post before I saw the dates.

Bottom line, you'll get no love for automatics here. Most V1 (first gen) owners are not concerned with drag strip performance. Of course, no one will shunt power mods - horsepower and torque is nothing to scoff at (until you reach a point where it becomes useless, because you're chassis is ish) - however, balancing it with improved chassis dynamics and handling so that a vehicle is, first and foremost, enjoyable throughout the whole friction circle is usually of higher priority than gaining a tenth in the quarter.

Also, most of us are not keen on losing the ability to row your own gears. Although, most are ready and willing to tighten up the linkages to improve on the experience.
    Point taken, but its not for strip and actually I am more asking for my own concerns. Not trying to persuade you, but you are still rowing your own gears this way, just with no clutch. I am a manual guy, buts Its obvious from the responses none of you have experienced a full manual valve body with instantaneous, neck snapping shifts/downshifts. I however enjoy either way. Again though, I was asking for my own intentions. So at this point back to my question and away from the nonsense and immature members,, im assuming nobody knows a good place to get this done or which transmission would be a good start. Thanks forum.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by TheKid View Post
    ... immature members ...
    At my age, that's a compliment.

Actually, didn't mean to rile you up, it's just that as stated above there are so many alternative vehicles where this makes more sense to do than a V1, and the fact that EVERY V1 is a manual seems special to many of us.

Good luck if you decide to take on this endeavor, though.
    shadybx7 and shadybx7 like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

All of this is not entirely true, there are two people that are currently working on this. Aside from widening the trans tunnel, you have to cut out a portion of the rectangular structural member that forms the trans tunnel at the firewall and weld in DOM or some other structural steel in its place to gain some clearance. So, pull motor, trans, interior, and complete dash assembly just to begin cutting/welding. Not/not and easy project, but doable.

runsfromdacops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V built 383. 875/860RW pump/met

i know a 4l60e will fit a 4l80e will not with out cuting the tunnel. also you cant run any exhaust past the tranny. i will be doing the swap next winter for my car with a 80e or a 400

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheKid View Post
    Point taken, but its not for strip and actually I am more asking for my own concerns. Not trying to persuade you, but you are still rowing your own gears this way, just with no clutch. I am a manual guy, buts Its obvious from the responses none of you have experienced a full manual valve body with instantaneous, neck snapping shifts/downshifts. I however enjoy either way. Again though, I was asking for my own intentions. So at this point back to my question and away from the nonsense and immature members,, im assuming nobody knows a good place to get this done or which transmission would be a good start. Thanks forum.
    Obviously, I know it's for your own interest - you posted the inquiry. I was just explaining why you won't see an overwhelming interest in that direction.

And when I say "rowing your own gears", for most people, the experience entails, not only physical shifting of the gears, but the clutch pedal and the rev matching that accompanies it. So, for many, it's not just the simple action of flicking a paddle and having something happen for you. There's also no loss in the direct connection of the throttle to the rear wheels when one utilizes a clutch and forgoes a torque converter. Again, just explaining how it's not exactly the same as you are making it out to be and why you aren't going to see too many fawn over such an extensive modification that does away with so many of the characteristics that they desire.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by runsfromdacops View Post
    i know a 4l60e will fit a 4l80e will not with out cutting the tunnel. also you cant run any exhaust past the tranny. i will be doing the swap next winter for my car with a 80e or a 400
    Interesting...I have an 80 sitting on the floor in the shop to see how bad it would be. A 60 can be built to hold a fair amount of power, but gear spacing and a weak third gear are the Achilles heel of that unit.

The thing I like about the 80 is that you can get the 6x TCI unit with ratio's about the same as the 6L80/90's and they are base rated for 800+hp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.